If we win CL & EPL Grant stays?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by The_ChelseaSupporter, Apr 20, 2008.

1. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Avram Grant Discussion Thread, Episode Two: The Revenge of Jabba

Continue on.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Re: The Avram Grant Discussion Thread, Episode Two: The Revenge of Jabba

Could've just named it Part Two instead of Revenge of Jabba.

3. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Trust me this is better.

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

The saddest part is that the fool has been around long enough to warrant a second thread..:rolleyes:

5. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

It's also sad that a first thread was created considering he should've never managed this club :(

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004

It's sad too that these threads continue to have debate in them because some posters are too blind to realize what a brainless dolt he is.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well, (and I'm just playing devil's advocate here :)), will you still be saying that if we win the EPL and the CL? ;)

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I would Andy. His tactics are truly a mess. Playing Essien at rightback when we have two healthy ones in the squad. He has a full squad at his disposal and he hasn't utilized it properly.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we win the EPL & and CL this year should we give Grant the heave-ho?

Note: I'm not asking will we?.. that's another matter, (I think not tbh but so what). I'm saying IF we win them.

Chelsea supporters only please :)

10. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Even if we stumble into those trophies, I want him gone. This club and this team arent for his on-the-job training as a coach. If we do luck into those trophies adn we fire Grant I doubt sincerely we would be ridiculed. Its not like he is regarded as a coaching genius by the outside world. People would recognize it as what it is: blind luck.

What Roman does/thinks is another matter completely........

11. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we win those trophies, Grant will have to have improved because the current Grant is not capable of such achievements. Therefore, I voted for Yes. :cool:
    I am a fan of Avram grant the person, but as a manager he sucks, no offense. I want to be a fan of Grant the manager too, but it will take exactly this to win me over.

12. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think its a much different situation than Madrid, although who knows if non-Chelsea supporters will see it that way. Capello has won the league and cups with many different teams and in different leagues. It was also the 2nd time Madrid fired him after winning the league. Grant has no track record like Capello to back him up really.

13. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Grant should leave anyway. The trophies will alleviate my the pain of losing him a little :D

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

once again Andy, I have to believe that one could put a trained chimp on the touchline and the club would be in the same position.

Although I think Grant did well during the period of injury and the ACN, the squad also picked itself. Funny enough, the Toad has regressed even more since he has had a full squad to choose from.

But of course, he is a nice guy so all is forgiven...

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D

Just to take that particular discussion elsewhere, please go here guys...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684125

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    as pete once said, it should get him promoted.;)

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

I think he'll be gone next season, but who knows what Roman might do.

18. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    If we win anything this season, which I doubt very much, it will be despite Avram Grant not because of him. The mistakes he has made so far are indicative of an absolutely clueless manager at this level. The squad has so many talented players that they are running the show.

Grant is just a puppet and most credit should go to the players. I don't expect to see Avram managing the team next season!

19. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Looking at the circumstances, if Chelsea pulls this double out, then yes. However, I don't see it happening. :rolleyes:

20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FYP :)

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's been my position as well. I just don't see it happening but if it did then I think it might be foolhardy to just dump the guy.

TBH I don't know how much stuff to believe in the media about his old fashioned training methods and how unpopular he is with the players. I tend to think if it were as bad as some people are saying we wouldn't have done as well as we have.

I've seen the inept player choices the guy's made the same as everyone else but I've also seen us relentlessly grind out wins week after week so I hear what people are saying about us winning despite the manager and all that stuff but I just don't know how much of it I can believe.

Still, it's interesting to watch :)

22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

instead of focusing on what an ignorant twat Grant is and stating the fact that he has to date cost us at least one trophy, a legitimate shot to win another and mismanaged his way to being 3 points behind instead of 2 points ahead of Utd, I would rather focus on his possibe replacements.

Now keeping my ear to ground I have heard the following rumblings. Some I think are bollox, some not so much.

Although we have discussed several candidates, here is what I have discussed and received feedback on so far.

Whatever happens this season, win or lose, there is going to be a closed door meeting regarding the leadership at the club, both on and off the field. Alledgely, keep that word in mind, there is already a short list of managers drawn up by the tptb which has really been in play since last season when the friction with Jose was boiling over. Some candidates have changed, others have been added but fwiw this is what I have been told, in no particular order.

Guus Hiddink- obvious ties to Roman and the Russian FA. He can say what he wants, but for not McClown fecking up England he would most likely be our current manager. Thanks Ginger Idiot- caused two fecking problems with one. I know recent reports say he is not interested, but remember who is paying his salary atm.

Mark Hughes- might suprise you to see his name on the list, but he has caught the eye of some of the club insiders, allegedly, and obviously has done a decent job at Blackburn. Can he handle the next step up? I dont know, but he also has ties to the club as a former player.

Should they go outside for no current assocation with the club then the 2 candidates atm are

Frank Rijkaard- yes I know we all hate him, but Roman was apparently enthralled by his football when Barca played us etc, plus he has experience managing a big club and big egos.

Michael Laudrup- many of us have spoken about him this season. Being friends with Arnesen wont hurt and many see him as the next version of Jose, but possibly a more obiedient version.

Now I will wait for the Mirror or Mail to run this later on.

23. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

What of the Dutch lad on the bench then...and Clarke?

Both gone as well?

24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

Clarke to stay. Nothing on Ten Cate, which I find most interesting.

Problem lies with Grant, if he stays the circus really begins, but I just dont see/think/hear that is going to happen.

Clan as you know sometimes the backroom changes, sometimes not. From my count we still only have Clarke, Ten Cate, and the Froggie GK coach atm so its not like the cull which occured under Jose.

Another reason I find it hard to believe the Toad will be around is that he only brought in 2 members for his backroom staff one of whom has worked with Rijkaard and would most likely blend with either Hiddink or Arnesen.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well, Hiddink's the obvious fella there but out of the rest I'd prefer sparky Hughes, certainly more than Rijkaard and more than Laudrup. As much as anything because he's actually played and coached in the prem.

TBH I also quite like the way Blackburn play since he's been there... high pressure but knock the ball around as well.

Just as a matter of interest, though, how do you get these stories? Without naming any names, of course ;)