Rumor: if USA played England in the world cup next year..

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Rockstar Games, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Rockstar Games

Rockstar Games Red Card

Jul 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1. who would win between the two in a match?
    2. which of them has the better chance of winning the world cup?

2. Rockstar Games

Rockstar Games Red Card

Jul 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i made this thread because i constantly hear americans overhyping and overrating themselves, while at the same time putting down the english with their usual cliches of having won nothing since the sixties (even if the americans never even went as far as the final in a WC), saying they have no talent when english players regularly in the champions league and the americans end up as useless bench warmers (eg. altidore and adu), its about time the record should be set straight between the two. england have already beaten the americans twice this decade, home and away, yet the americans insist they'll beat us at somepoint. then they constantly say nonsense like 'england will never win a world cup' and even more stupid one would be 'usa will win a world cup before england gets their second', and how we'll 'choke' early on, not looking at themselves and their sorry record in the tournament. so i say england is better, on both counts.

3. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England are far too strong for USA

4. Rockstar Games

Rockstar Games Red Card

Jul 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    so true. i'd love to see them tear the americans apart and make them cry :D

5. Utd16

Utd16 Member

May 24, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    England. Obvious one.

6. mb87

mb87 New Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US is up and coming. They might not beat the English but I think it would be a lot closer than some people think. Just ask Spain and Brazil.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Blah, blah, excuses, blah...

England.

8. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's quite funny that the poll is 50:50, I accept that USA are an upcoming side, but realistically they have no chance against the better teams in the World Cup.

9. mb87

mb87 New Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poles are just opinions so that's what happens. As for the US, if you are talking about the team that has been so frustrating and unimpressive during the World Cup qualifying matches, then yes I agree. However if the US team can continue the magic they found advancing to the finals of the Confederations Cup, then I think they they are a team to be considered. I don't think they will win the World Cup, but I do think they will make it to at least the Quarter Finals, maybe even the Semi Finals. We'll see what happens they play Mexico at Azteca stadium next month. The US has never won there. If they do this time, then world might need to keep an eye on the US team next year.

10. AngryMobRun

AngryMobRun Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston/Dallas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We lost 2-0 to England last summer. No need to rub anything in. And btw, this is a very strong English team with your new boss, but underneath McClaren, I think the USA would have a good chance today, just not one year ago. We have a lot of young players who progressed in the meantime and Bob Bradley is starting to cut the players who cant stand up to you, Italy, Brazil, or any strong teams. Dont forget, we're also about to have Jermaine Jones from Germany on our team. I know it's only one man, but with him, Donovan, Dempsey, Tim Howard, and Onyewu (who just signed with AC Milan,
    ) we have a lot of aged quality on the field as well as the younger guys who are still improving.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You should have made this a public poll to shame those voting for the US.

12. Match-Debater

Match-Debater New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    This shaming may do meantime.

13. mattro1

mattro1 New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England wins 7 out of 10 in my opinion. They have much more talent & experience. As long as it doesn't go to pk's (haha), I'd say England have the US the majority of the time. If anyone argued it the other way they are just leting there pride blind them. I am an american and I am an educated fan.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Even in the Confed Cup the USA played poorly about 50% of the time. Thinking the semis is a realistic target for the USA is a bit much since that would require 4 good performances out of 5 games. Extrememly unlikely. Certainly not as likely as England.

15. csar508

csar508 New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. essie

essie Member

May 4, 2007
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Keep in mind I am an Englishman but it really depends on what stage of the competition it is. Group stage England win easily. However if its a quaterfinal tie with Rooney sent off, Lampard having a bad night, and James playing, then it could be a very very daunting game.

17. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No it wouldn't..even having Rooney sent off, which won't happen this time around, and Calamity in goal, England still take it. We have players that can slot in for Lamps.......Now, if Mong the Younger is in the lineup, we might have a problem..:D

18. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, I think this time around we have a stronger squad, although it will be interesting to see how England do perform in the knockout rounds under Capello if we get there or even get to the world cup. I would expect us to be more organised and better going forward. We might actually get to see Rooney play for once without him being injured/suspended/sent off.. :p

19. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This is an easy one, England.

20. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You would expect it to be England, and 95% of the time, it will be. Problem is, depends on where in the competition we would meet! In the group stages, then the US probably faces their best chance to win. With the group stages, there is the option of losing one, and still progressing. However, in the later stages, Capello will, most likely, have the England team keyed up and wound up tighter than a drum, making it less likely for a US win. However, should they grab the first goal, there is nothing stopping them from lining up 11 men on the goal line...

21. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    USA.

Not that i'm biased or anything :)

22. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA > McLaren England
    Fabio Capello England >>> USA

The USA usually surprises one or two quality sides a tournament. Fact of the matter is the game England plays is the very game that the USA is weak against. We do better against possession sides (Spain, Portugal, Mexico) than physically powerful sides with that can match our speed. So England takes the cake, but than again this is football.

23. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    England wins easily.

24. Counterstrike

Counterstrike New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The obvious advantage goes to England, however you can't say that the differences in chances of winning are that great. It'd be a typical sports game, the favorites would be England and the underdogs would be the USA and 4/10 the USA will win and 6/10 England will win

25. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd go for England winning 5 or 6, the USA a couple, and the rest being draws.

Unless it goes to penalties of course. We'd lose to Andorra on penalties, even if they were down to 4 players, and didn't have a goalkeeper.