If the WUSA is revived....

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Charge!, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I hope Mark Krikorian (who is serving as a scout for the national team, per a story in the Inquirer on the day of the WWC opener) and his coaches are looking at these games, since what I've been harping about for the past 3 months is coming to fruition, that size does matter. It is where the women's game is headed, like it or not. And she stands 6 foot and weighs 160...

I guess Wambach is the next Akers.

Paul

2. #2FairFan

#2FairFan New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    Question?

How many goals does Reddick have?

3. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Re: Question?

One less than Abby, who may win the Golden Boot award if she keeps it up... (2 vs. 3).

Paul

4. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Food for thought...

10 of the 12 US goals have come off set pieces; 3 PK's, and 7 from corners/free kicks. That efficiency is positively frightful if you're an upcoming opponent.

Paul

5. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Post of October 4 removed due to yet another personal attack which is getting really old, really fast. Those who can't post here without injecting insulting comments as one of this forum's regulars has done for the past 5 months towards the moderator should take note of this message board don't:

"Do not make derogatory or prejudicial remarks or attack others personally for their postings."

Paul

6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Being physically competitive is very important, if someone is bigger than you then you have to be able to at least compete on some footing and make up the difference through positioning and clever use of the body. But size by itself is by no means the be all and end all. I think the Germany game is a key example of that, they didn't have Steffi Jones, but they still used organisation and the muscle they had to keep Wambach out of the game.

Reddick would have been fine in the Charge backline to help Jenny B, Heather and Jen Prozzo. You don't need to fight fire with fire, that is limiting.

7. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Just remember Garefrekes is as tall as Abby, though. If Foudy had done her job and seal the gap at the near post, along with Wambach, then maybe the goal isn't scored.

Reddick's stock did go way up in the tournament, and she went a long way to proving that she would be worth taking a chance on.

Paul