If the New England Revolution were to rename/change logo, what will it be?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Khkevin, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the jerseys should be plaid. We can have two different plaids, one home and the other away. And porkpie hats, yeah, that is hipster enough.

BrianLBI repped this.
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused - no idea if you're being sarcastic and agreeing with me or disagreeing with me.

If brown/blue is suddenly popular so be it, although in my opinion it's a horribly ugly combination for a soccer jersey and I won't buy one or support a team with those primary colors (until they rebrand again, when that experiment fails).

If it's a 3rd jersey to be worn on July 4th or Patriot's Day or in a friendly against a "Redcoat" team from across the pond (Liverpool?), I can live with that a bit more although it's still a putrid color combination.

But that's where my opinion may deviate from the market - I just want this team to sell lots of Revs jerseys!

3. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I was being sarcastic, because it seemed to me this was just slavishly attaching to the mini brown trend, but then I read further back where it was explained that the colors were derived from an earlier colonial time. So, no my sarcasm meter is trending down. :)

4. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I'm telling ya, don't discount nicknames. They are much better at speaking to regionalisms than Blah Blah soccer club.

DC United (IMHO) has a little get out of jail free card cause "United" fits in with the whole capital of the U.S. of A thing by accident. Seriously for the longest time I thought it was playing on that..

5. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "New England Destitution" dressed in the sort of bedraggled fruppery that properly honors the Chad Barrett Way of Looking Really Good at Not Scoring Goals.................
    [Think Ted Kennedy partying after hours with Aaron Hernandez...in the ol' Combat Zone]

6. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Des's could just wear silver sleeves. Nothing says "Minor League" like Silver Sleeves

7. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution

Change the brown sash to white. looks better and still looks historicalish.

8. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe the Destitution could go with a "Derelicte" inspired shield and uniform?

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Now you're on to something.

10. Summerheat

Summerheat Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If Kraft is still running the show?

I'm guessing something original like the New England Patriots Soccer Club.

Saint Louis Cardinals used the same name for two teams with their baseball and pointy ball teams (prior to their abandonment for Arizona).

It would make sense. After all, we are all at "The Home of The New England Patriots", and don't expect to move elsewhere anytime soon. In fact, going for a whiz even reminds me where I am. The bloody "flying Elvis" is even on the hand dryers. I fear one day our beer will be laced with that logo that just might follow our whiz in to the porcelain bowl...

Strike one up for paranoia!

11. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like International Forest FC. Because at the end of the day, the Revs aren't the baby-Pats, they're the baby-Paper Towel Company

12. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    actually, they are a baby-carton company

or maybe a baby-marry to get ahead company

13. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the hand dryers have revs logos on them. We've arrived.

14. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody with knowledge of the Revs history know how they arrived at the name "Revolution" and not something involving the "Patriots" and Patriots branding? It seems like that would have been the easiest thing for Kraft to do and might have had even more people talking about the Patriots. Just re-use the same logos, signage, colors, etc.

Also, for those with the historical knowledge, what were the other names/options not selected in favor of the Revolution?

15. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno about that. If we were the Patriots, S.C. we might be even more invisible. Maybe like Joe DiMaggio's identical brother.... What was his name? :D
    Maybe Krafty went with Revs so if the team were to be sold it wouldn't have the Pat's name. Or if the team folded or the league folded, the stink of carrion would not be on the Patriots.

16. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I recall o_O we desperately lobbied to be the New England Clash, or the Boston Burn. But noooooooo, the trendy hipsters of 1996 thought Revolution would work best on our starburst polyester shirt.

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the first really, really bad signs about the league was when they decided to let their uniform sponsors select the names of the teams, like it was a new sneaker line that would have the lifespan of 5 years. We all know the names that they came up with, and mercifully, only the Crew and Galaxy (which isn't all that bad anyway) remain. Some of the ones that didn't make it were Washington Justice, Spies or Force, NY Empire (which is better than what they ended up with) Chicago Rythm (with a snake logo!) and in our neck of the woods, YOOOOUUUUUR NEW ENGLAND NITRO! The jerseys were going to be neon green (worse than the Sounders color) or orange! To his credit, Kraft stepped in and said no, we were going with a name that had some sort of regional historical significance. I'm not crazy about singular names, especially ones that are not physical things that you can draw a cartoon of, but in the greater scheme of things, we did pretty well with Revolution.
    I used to work with Joe's nephew, whose father, Dom DiMaggio, was a pretty good player himself. He was overshadowed by the two biggest stars of the era, his brother and the guy in left field, Ted Williams. My dad also was a Dom D fan, as he was the only player to stop and sign an autograph for him as a kid, hanging outside the players gate at the All-Star Game back in the day. He was one of the greatest Red Sox of all time, and from everything I've heard from those who knew him, an even better person.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm not for changing it at all, but ... if I was, I'd like your suggestion. A lot (most?) of the big European clubs have teams in multiple sports - like football and baloncestos, for Real Madrid or Barcelona. I'm not sure how they specify the sport in a headline or something, but it's pretty common.

Score one for the trendy hipsters!

I've heard that too. I don't think Joe D. was a bad guy, but he just didn't enjoy the spotlight at all. Anyone who can't get happy with Marilyn Monroe ... sheesh.

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, by all accounts, Joe was a real jerk.

20. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's that last thing Kraft ever stepped in on, on behalf of his soccah property. :coffee:

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify, this story was about a whole bunch of players coming out at the same time, and while you can probably infer that Dom was with his brother, maybe not. The story was that the other players got into waiting cars and Dom stopped at the last minute and signed for my dad just before getting in himself. He was the only kid there to get an autograph.

And I would agree with rkupp that Joe wasn't all that happy in the spotlight and with the pressure of being a larger-than-life star in that era. In some ways it was tougher than it is now, as at least today, people are more able to separate the star athlete from the human being who is really just another guy who can do something extremely well.

22. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hubbub with the Newco Cosmos shows why this isn't wasn't an option. MLS wants to own the name and logo of the teams in their league. There's no way Bob Kraft, the Patriots, or the NFL allows that to happen.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it is, we might as well be the Patriots without the actual name. Same color scheme (even the hideous silver sleeves a couple of years ago) and the same overall theme. The mascot could do double-duty, if it wasn't for the Elvis head. The old "Pat Patriot" could easily work for the Revolution, not to mention the UMass Minuteman.

And just for a good larf, some foreign journalists have even gotten confused by the similar themed names and have called us the "Patriots."

24. Summerheat

Summerheat Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Wait...Vermont is in New England ?

Damn. I live too close to that state!

25. Summerheat

Summerheat Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

How 'bout New England "Kraft-dodgers" ??