News: If San Jose hosted the Cup Final. . .

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by btharner, Jul 15, 2012.

1. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    With the way San Jose is playing, the prospect of MLS Cup being played in a 10,000 seat stadium becomes more of a possibility.

2. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, I hadn't thought of that. I would think that they would play at Stanford if it came down to it.

I PINCH! and Fiosfan repped this.
  3. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOst logical place would be Stanford.

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've been told, before the new stadium is up and running (likely by Opening Day 2014), any San Jose Earthquakes hosted MLS Cup final would be held in a larger nearby venue, most likely Stanford Stadium (even though Stanford's playing field is much smaller than Buck Shaw Stadium's 74x115 yards, not to mention smaller than the ideal 75x120 yards).

Afterward, though, all such MLS Cup finals would be held at the new stadium which will have a total capacity of 20k-22k (18k seats + berm + other terraced areas).

-G

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if Stanford hosts the Pac-12 Championship game two nights before MLS Cup?

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then the Stanford Stadium staff and grounds crew will have their work cut out for them.

-G

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure its even possible? Given all the pomp and ceremony and other events and such would Stanford even attempt both major events in a 48 hour period? I was just wondering of MLS might need to find a 3rd option in the greater Bay Area.

8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've played games at Oakland Colosseum (As), Candlestick (49ers) and AT&T Park (Giants) in the last 4 years, so there are options. God help us if we play at any of those venues... they all suck for soccer and I don't think we've won in any of them (might as well be playing an away game).

Personally, if SJE is fortunate enough to make it to the finals, I'd like it to be in Buckshaw.

Beerking and Mister Luther repped this.
  9. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about Spartan Stadium but than I changed my mind.:(

10. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Or a better solution would be to not have SJ win the Supporters Shield. ;)

11. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would work too. Hey how about expending the 10k stadium to lets say a 25k stadium by the fall.:eek:

RfrancisR repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't matter if they are still the highest point team in MLS Cup.

13. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Why doesn't it matter? :thumbsdown:

14. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Because the host of the final is the team in the final with the most regular season points, not the Supporter's Shield winner.

Jasonma repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thew Supporters Shield winner doesn't host MLS Cup,. the MLS Cup finalist with the highest regular-season point total does. San Jose could be the 5th placed team in the West and as long as their Eastern Conference opponent had less regular season points than San Jose, San Jose would host.

The Supporters Shield winner is guaranteed to host if they make MLS Cup, but that doesn't mean you have to win the Shield to host.

16. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Well, I'd be shocked since USC is looking very good this year. In the unlikely hood the conflict does happen, there are plenty of places for the game to be moved to in the Bay area.

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be one night before MLS Cup.

I was told by a reliable source that right around the time MLS announced the format change that Buck Shaw is the only option, as renting a football stadium at short notice during football season is not feasible.

Now, the source is reliable but the conversation occurred with the issue a very "ha-ha, what if?" hypothetical. Thing can change, so we can take a look at possibilities for conversation's sake.

Oakland Coliseum -- the Raiders have a home game Dec. 2--not going to happen.

Candlestick Park -- 49ers are away, but this is the worst possible venue in the country for MLS Cup, once you eliminate venues that can't even hold a soccer field. It would be better to forfeit home field to the other team than to play MLS Cup at Candlestick.

Stanford Stadium -- Stanford's final regular season home game is on Nov. 10. However, Stanford may be the host of the Pac-12 championship the night before MLS Cup. Also, the host of the Pac-12 championship may not be determined until Nov. 24, approximately one week after the MLS Cup teams are determined. If Stanford happens to be eliminated by early November from the possibility of hosting the Pac-12 game, I wouldn't be surprised if they work on arrangements for MLS Cup there. If they are not eliminated, then I can't see how it works.

AT&T Park -- They fill in the infield with grass every year to prepare for the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, so if you'd like MLS Cup in a nice stadium with high rent and horrible soccer sightlines, it's there.

Beerking and billreeves repped this.
  18. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    What about Memorial Stadium?

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a 62-yard-wide field of fake turf with football lines and blue end zones is what MLS is looking for, then they can call the folks in Berkeley.

athletics68 and Beerking repped this.
  20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Me personally, I'd bet Stanford would still be willing to do it, if the league was willing to put up with possibly choppy grass.

Realistically, it's just not going to happen if at all avoidable, purely from the league's perspective. It's not only quantity of seats but quality of them. Buck Shaw is like a HS football stadium, and not even among the nicest of those I've seen.

21. Mister Luther

Mister Luther Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Buck Shaw is the place where nobody can beat the Quakes. I don't give a damn about the shitty architecture, dirty restorooms, and small capacity. I want my team to win and Buck Shaw is the best place to do it.

dadcoachref, Beerking and krudmonk repped this.
  22. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    :oops:
    Oops, didn't know that... thanks for the correction.
    I was under the impression that the team with the highest regular-season points, regardless of making it all the way to the final, gets to host the cup.

But that doesn't make sense; it gives MLS and the hosting team only one week to advertise the event to the general public.
    Sure, I can understand the allure of getting to host the final in your own city(Revs sold-out Foxboro about 10 years ago), but with only one week of preparations, I think MLS is shooting itself in the foot.

23. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Business don't really give a damn about what you give a damn about.

Jasonma, profiled, ElJefe and 1 other person repped this.
  24. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the size and the aesthetics of Stanford, but after watching that game vs LA I'd say that field looks really narrow.

25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    profiled repped this.