If Pumas win again....

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by El CHarro_NEgro...., Nov 25, 2004.

1. I was just thinking, if Pumas win the championship again.. who should we send to CONCANCAF CHAMPIONS CUP?

My vote goes for Dorados, Cruz Azul or America.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Wouldn't the runner-up be the next one in line?

3. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    haha. Silly concacaf.

What if Pumas wins the title, and Pachuca finishes runners up?

4. Apertura, or Clausura one?

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Apertura (at least that's how I would do it)

6. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    if pumas wins again..... bye bye Hugo, you are in Spain

and for us, we will definitely be stuck with La Volpe

7. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dead on.

Why do you have a yellow, my rusty friend?

Hugo is clearly prepping himself for something.

Two back-to-back championships in our mercurial playoff league format is tough.

It's either MNT or Spain.

His UNAM tenure comes to a close.

Bora in 2005 - Tricampeonato!!

8. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    You people are forgetting Tigres. They are linked to him and have offered him a million dollar + contract from what I read. Not only that but where would Hugo end up in Spain? I don't see any openings. I find it difficult for him to land the Madrid job right away, maybe after he spend a few seasons in Spain he will get it. Valencia is struggling at the moment and might get a new coach at the end of the season that is a possibility, but remember that Hugo doesn't want just any little team.

9. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am not forgetting anything, mijo.

Hugo said no matter what, his UNAM cycle comes to a close this torneo.

Now can we really expect him to switch over to UANL after winning 2 championships in a row?

It's almost impossible odds to go for a 3rd consecutive in a different club, especially in torneo corto situations.

He would have nothing to prove at this point.

It's not like he coached America or Cruz Azul to win.

But, then again, this is where the "But he didn't use only Mexicans!" hounds appear.

Hugo Sanchez should definitely land a European gig, but my beef is with it being some bottom of the table club.

Why not the Madrid job? Queiroz grabbed it. He was an assistant coach.

"Oh, but he was working at Man U."

Blah Blah.

Excuses a plenty.

10. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    Beat alex_1 in an argument several times. He closed the thread when he couldnt think of anything more to say, so i made fun of him. he cried, i got a yellow.

i hate the guy.

11. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    We know Hugo is good but the fact is that the Mexican league is not that well known in Europe. We know Hugo is good because we watch his team play, but the euros don't. Even if he has the 2 championships I bet they would still take Queiroz over Hugo. And like I said before there are no openings in any decent Liga Teams for Hugo. He will either have to wait for the Madrid job by staying in Mexico longer, or will have to work himself up with a small team in La Liga, risking his reputation in the process.

12. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    I think Hugo has a better chance than it might seem. Mariano Garcia-Remon isn't getting any kind of results (a draw against PSV?). None of the Madrid directivos' favorites are interested (Eriksson, Wenger). They're not going to ask Queiroz to come back (after the way he was scapegoated, I doubt he would come back if they did), and Camacho's not going to want to quit again. Hugo's name is always mentioned among the great Madridistas of the club's history, he's very much loved by the socios. If the directivos weren't paying attention to Hugo before, he got their attention when he won the Bernabeu trophy. I think he's got a real shot at it, and I think he'd be welcomed.

13. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    I already said it in a previous thread. If madrid has a trophyless season then Hugo will become a big contender. There will be all kinds of problems for the Madrid socios and the fans will be angry, and a good way to quiet them down would be to bring a fan favorite like Hugo to quiet the storm.

The only problem is that if there are any big euro coaches available they will get the spot before Hugo (even if Hugo can probably do a better job).

14. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Right on Lisa........

15. nergserg

nergserg Member

Jan 15, 2004
    SoCal
    No mames, I will be tortured with the "Goya, Goya" chant on TV all the time like last season. No disrespect to all you Pumeros, but that chant makes me wish for more ear wax.

16. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's weird to hear it so much, like sergio leone said, especially considering how "new" it seems to Univision.

That chant's been around for a while.

What gives?

On a (maybe) related note:

I cannot stand the following terms/phrases used by Univision/Telefutura and even Telemundo and TV Azteca:

Mayorga - Uff, Ojo, Impecable, Su majestad (reference to Hugo), los bebes (any Mexican nat'l. team player) and the story of the 12 tacos.

Cantor - everything about him. Also, the fact that his radio station bought the rights to every Tri game and its a bootleg station out of San Bernardino or something. (I know it's not.. but still. It is crap.)

Norberto Longo - yeah.

All the sideline people.

The television feeds for Telefutura and TV Azteca.

That Jose Ramon guy and his son.

Pepe Lucuas.

Rumbo al Mundial.

Impecable.

La torre de Jalisco and his "Danny boy" crap.

Hmm.

Basically, all of them.

I do like that smiley faced guy on TD, El Perro Bermudez and Orvanalgas.

And the wrestling dude.. "Mi querido Magadan."

17. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It pisses me off that the announcers from tv Azteca call Chivas "El Equipo mas popular de Mexico" and "El mejor Equipo de Mexico" Its also more than just people from Mexico.
    Cantor calls Ronaldo "Ronnie" and on many occasions where Telemundo has televised Brasil or Real Madrid games, usually dissapointed at the many chances he misses to score. He also calls the USMNT "La seleccion de todos" which isn't necessarily the case.

18. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah i fu<king hate it when he calls the USMNT team that. it's really stupid. but i disagree with you on Chivas being "el equipo mas popular de Mexico". if you go to places in Mexico where there is no real futbol team (Tijuana, for example), the popular team is always a toss up between America and Chivas. and if you see Chivas and America games when they are the visiting team, they always have a large group of supporters.

19. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't say that Chivas is the most popular team in Mexico, they might be one of the most popular, but not THE most popular. Teams like America, Cruz Azul, and Pumas also have a large fan base. About the comment about Tijuana, they have they're own team, Nacional Tijuana, but yes they are not in the first division, but it isn't necessarily Chivas fans or Americanistas there can be fans of other teams as well. University teams like Tigres, Pumas, and Tecos have large fan bases out side of DF, Guadalajara, and Monterrey because many fans of those teams are graduates of those universities. It's more than just Chivas buddy, trust me.

20. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Tecos has like no fans anywhere...for me Chivas is for sure the most popular team in mexico. people that dont even keep track of soccer are fans of chivas...america is close but all other teams are a level below when it comes to fans. you can find chivas fans anywhere in mexico and a lot of them

21. Makaveli 13

Makaveli 13 New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    > lol !!......yea' he says....ay biene "oh danny boy" and i 'member one time he said somethin' about Osorno alos somethin' like "the man in red shoes" cuz he was wearin' some red pirmas or somethin' <

22. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Actually I'd say UNAM, Cruz Azul, Tigres, and even though you don't say it is but Tecos have a large fan base. Cruz Azul because it is a big name club like Chivas and America. But Pumas, Tigres, and Tecos have large fan bases because of the many people who attended the Universities and because of the people who just like the clubs.

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, but your saying this in English in a thread about the Mexican league in a Mexican board. See the irony?

24. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Just because we speak English doesn't mean we support them or that they are our team (except for SFTFC). See the irony?

25. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    SFTFC roots for USA, not EN-GER-LAND.
    :p

Viva Bolivia!
    Viva!