If not Yallop or Dom - who?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by bsman, Sep 4, 2007.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    due time, good idea.

Of course, I'm a Slug, so I have a bit of a bias, and I must admit that I've not seen any Holocher coached teams in action. However, he was successful at UCSC. How did he do last season at Cal Poly? OK, about a .500 season last year, 6 wins one loss so far this year. Yeah, he might be worth taking a look at.

Again, I could see Baicher or Russell as assistant coach. Perhaps Doyle also. We'll see.

GOOO QUAKES!!!! :D

- Mark

2. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Holocher has turned Cal Poly around fast, but I don't he think he has enough experience to go into a pro head coaching job. I could see him as a top assistant right now though. Tim Vom Steeg is pretty young and successful - a lot of people don't like his team's playing style, but he gets results and turned UCSB around from the total wilderness to national champs in eight seasons.

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew that decimating means to reduce by one tenth.

The Flounders average attendance this season was: 3244. Inexplicably down 15.2%. So I'm guessing that they would lose at least 300 fans, maybe more. Then of course, they will get a bunch of new MLS fans, but what about in their second and third seasons in MLS? They will surely experience a dropoff in attendance. If some fraction of their hard core fans don't come back, it could hurt them in terms of growing the fan base, generating atmosphere in their stadium, especially if they play in Qworst, yeuch!

Also, I have fantasies about the Timbers moving up to MLS, and I want the Sounders to set a precedent by keeping their name, logo, and colors. :D

GOOOOO QUAKES!!! :D
    GO TIMBERS!! :D

- Mark

4. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

There is no doubt in my mind that, like the Earthquakes in San Jose, the only good option is the Sounders in Seattle and the Timbers in Portland, should either, or both, field MLS teams. Those of us who have been around the Bay Area for a while always knew that The Clash was MLS speak for The Earthquakes.

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  6. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just in case your definition does not mislead a large number of people on this board, you should tell them that that is an ancient, historical meaning, different from the modern meaning, which is 1):

decimate |?des??m?t| verb [ trans. ] (often be decimated)

1 kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of : the project would decimate the fragile wetland wilderness | the American chestnut, a species decimated by blight. • drastically reduce the strength or effectiveness of (something) : plant viruses that can decimate yields.

2 historical kill one in every ten of (a group of soldiers or others) as a punishment for the whole group.

7. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doyle denied that Kinnear is in the running. Yallop, however...

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=23789

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been wondering . . .

Doyle wants to announce a coach within 30 days. MLS will still be in season in 30 days. I suppose JD could touch Frank once the filth's season is over. But this does lessen the chance of us getting an existing MLS coach.

So ... is JD thinking about a college coach? Clark or Holocher? or ?

And what about Ian Russell? Ian was at the office grand opening, and Ian modeled the new uniform, Ian and JD seem to be pals ... I'm expecting Russell to have some sort of role with the new organization. Is there a chance that JD would hire Ian Russell as our head coach?! :eek: Yallop at least had some experience as an MLS assistant before he was hired. Preki and Onalfo also, same for Dom. Russell has no such experience, so I hope that he doesn't get the head coaching gig. Youth coach, assistant coach, scout, some other position in the front office . . . That would be cool. The more ex-Quakes we have on board, the better. (Well, not Harut, but you know what I mean.)

GOOOOOO QUAAAAAKES!!!! :D :D

- Mark

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a thought I'd rather not entertain (so please shoot this down for me).

The coach of the year in USL this season is Gavin Wilkinson, coach of my Portland Timbers. He took over a team that was tied for dead last in the league, and in one season finished in second place. This is the biggest one season turnaround in USL history. (At least, that's what it says on the USL site.) He did this with a very blue collar team, a good work ethic, and some clever signings. He did it on a shoestring.

Now of course, I'm hoping that Gavin stays put in Portland where he belongs. He has no connection to the Bay Area and no connection to the Quakes.

Still, he's one of the few coaches available to be hired within the next 30 days.

I'm really hoping that JD hire Frank the instant the evil, cheating, league-favored, animal-abusing, water-stealing, smog-breathing galactopoers season is over. Please!!!!

GOOOOOO QUAAAAAAKES!!!! :D :D :D

- Mark

10. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "smarter people" are the same ones that choose black jerseys. Same ones that can sell $150 sneakers to Ghetto kids.

Nice post by the way. That was cool reading his response.

11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mark brought up in another thread (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592592&page=3) Tim Hanley as a possible coach for the Quakes, and I can't for the life of my figure out a reason why not. He's known, he's a winner, and he has a lot of coaching experience. I see no reason why a goalkeeper coach can't move into a head coaching slot.

12. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mark, what is that you're drinking (or smoking)?

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Little boxes, on the hillside,
    little boxes made of ticky tacky
    little boxes and they all look just the same" ;)

OK, so if we can't get Dom or Frank, who could we get? who would we want?

Head Coach?
    Some MLS assistant? Mariner? Spencer? Fraser? Pareja? Hanley? other?
    Some USL coach? Bob Lilly? Laurie Calloway? :eek:
    Some college coach? Clark? other? (They won't come anyway?)
    Some foreign coach? (They won't come and would suck in any case?)

I'm thinking:
    Hanley, Lilly, Holocher, or some other MLS assistant.

For assistants:
    Ian Russell, Jeff Baicher, others?

What say you? (Other than pass me some of that!)

GOOOOO QUAAAAAAKES!!!!! :D

- Mark

14. sdcastro137

sdcastro137 Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? you guys really want Yallop? I mean sure he led the Quakes to the championship before, but that was YEARS ago. What's he been doing lately?
    my boyfriend is a quakes fan and he said the last thing he wants is Yallop.
    I would gladly hand him over to any team. Especially chicago

15. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You have to take a better look at what is really f----ng up the situation in LA. It's called gAlexi LaLa. Frank operated extremely well when he had a GM that knew what was going on compared to now with a GM that's got his head inserted firmly up his ass. As far as I, and most Quakes fans are concerned, just keep gAlexi where he is right now so the Scum can stay where they are.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair UrawaRed, the sickness that has taken hold of the evil, cheating, animal-abusing, satan-worshiping, league-favored, water-stealing, smog-breathing galactoposers was there before gAlexi became GM, before Frank became coach, and before Sampson became coach. It stretches all the way back the era of Fat Sigi. He was sacked because they failed to win a match in eight or ten consecutive tries. :eek:

I think it goes deeper than Frank or gAlexi. I think it's a deep seated evil that lives in the heart of that city that has corrupted the team, and everyone on it.

The only cure is rehabilitation, exorcism, and a cleansing ritual performed by the City and Fans of the Mighty San José Earthquakes!!!!! :D

Oh and yeah, I'd take Frank back in a heart beat.

GOOOOO QUAAAAAAAKES!!!!! :D

- Mark

17. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Aided and abetted by the evil force of blood-sucking devils known as AEG!!

You got it there, man!!!!!! :D

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe he is too old and out of style but I wonder if whether Lothar Osiander would be considered being that he was John Doyle's favorite all time coach? I remember he stayed on one more year in 2000 instead of retiring just because Lothar was hired,

19. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    falvo, what are you trying to do? Mark will rush in here screaming and yelling and having a fit at just the mention of Lothar's name. Lothar got most of the blame for the time he coached, the 2000 season, and maybe he deserved it, but I would prefer to give him a bit of amnesty, because just like you have to have excellent team chemistry on the field, you've got to have excellent team chemistry among the people who are running the show. You'd be going after a long shot taking him on as coach, IMHO. I think the reason Lothar didn't do very well here is similar to the reasons that Frank isn't doing too well in LA.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well with all due respect , Lothar had bad luck in 2000, I think Conteh & Azzizi I believe also had something to do with the 2000 season, Bizarre however, that 1/2 of the 2000 Quakes were on the 2001 championship winning team with the exception of Agoos and Landon who made the big difference.
    0 Jon Conway
    1 Joe Cannon
    2 Eddie Robinson
    5 Ramiro Corrales
    6 Ronnie Ekelund
    7 Ian Russell
    8 Richard Mulrooney
    9 Scott Bower

10 Landon Donovan
    11 Manny Lagos
    12 Jeff Agoos
    13 Chris Carrieri
    14 Dwayne De Rosario
    17 Jimmy Conrad
    18 Wojtek Krakowiak
    19 Troy Dayak
    20 Ronald Cerritos
    22 Zak Ibsen
    24 Wade Barrett
    27 Dario Brose

Head coach: Frank Yallop

0 Jon Conway
    1 Joe Cannon
    2 Dan Calichman
    3 John Doyle
    4 Mike Burns
    5 Esmundo Rodriguez
    5 Gabe Eastman
    6 Jamie Clark
    7 Justin Evans
    8 Richard Mulrooney
    9 Scott Bower

10 Travis Mulraine
    11 Khodadad Azizi
    12 Harut Karapetyan
    13 Ryan Tinsley
    15 Ian Russell
    16 Abdul Thompson Conteh
    17 Jimmy Conrad
    18 Wojtek Krakowiak
    19 Ryan Edwards
    20 Ronald Cerritos
    21 Giovanni Savarese
    23 Mauricio Solis
    24 Wade Barrett
    27 Dario Brose

29 Mauricio Wright

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot to bold Jon Conway's name and number. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

22. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I can't disagree with what you are saying. Lothar had more than just bad luck, he had a crappy absentee i/o known as the Kraps. They would not give the coach what he wanted. I would even say that if the Krafts had still been i/o in 2001 and they brought someone like Yallop in, he would have been a failure. The situation then has great similarities to the present situation with the Lost Angesleaze Galacterrhoids.

23. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose
    Isn't Martin Jol looking for a job now?

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess I forgot about him because he never really played all that much in either 00 or 01, Conway suffered a broken right ankle in preseason and then his replacement Pat Onstad took over. Actually in 5 years with the club, I don't think he played a total of 20 matches. He was unlucky.

Lothar did well in LA initially but LA has always been given carte blanche from the outset and had been granted all the oportunities and/or players to succeed.

25. xANOTHERxSTARx

Mar 4, 2007
    he played in us open matches. ;)