If It Were Up To Me

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Vermont Red, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting on Saturday, United will play four matches in 15 days. Wins in each of the matches will:
    • Ensure we advance to the next round of the FA Cup
    • Put us in good shape for advancing in the Champions League
    • Put us 12 points up on Chelsea before they kick their next ball in the Prem
    • Demoralize Liverpool
    As far as lineups, what would you do if you were calling the shots. Would you rest some key players? Would you sacrifice one (or both) of the cups in order to chase our trophy? Would you just go balls out for each of the games?

Our first choice lineup this season has been this:

Van der Sar
    Neville
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Scholes
    Carrick
    Giggs
    Rooney
    Saha

Is this what you'd trot out for each match, or is something else required?

2. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, Kuczczcz plays until Van der Sar is ready and then Van der Sar plays the rest.

Reading

I think the time may come to sacrifice the FA Cup, but that time is not this weekend. I want to advance and I want the confidence heading into the Lille match. First choice lineup for me.

Lille

Obviously we will (and should) go out in the 451/433. Lille, as we know, is a tough and organized squad. Domestic form means nothing for either team as neither team regularly plays these types of matches in their respective leagues. I would drop Evra for Heinze in this match as I want to try and match Lille's cynicism. If we want to switch to the 442 later, we can always bring on Evra, if we want. I'd also drop Giggs for Fletcher. I want a runner/harasser in central midfield and I want Rooney to keep getting minutes out wide. We'll miss Giggs's experience, but he'll be on the bench and Ronaldo has to play. Up front I drop Saha for Larsson, although he'll be more isolated than Saha would be. But isn't this what we got Larsson for?

Fulham

Classic trap match. First choice lineup, 442, put the wood to them. Get some key players out after 60 when the match is in hand.

Liverpool

This match will be tight with little to choose either way. Benitez will set up his squad to frustrate United and to control midfield. We need to at least start in the 451/433. I would try the same changes as for the Lille match, with the exception of starting Saha in place of Larsson. Bring on the cynicism of Heinze and the annoyance of Fletcher and try not to give up too many free kicks/corners.

Four matches, four wins, moving on in the FA Cup, in control in the Champions League, 12 up on Chelsea, testing their bottle.

3. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    Reading can't be underestimated, and so we'll need to put out a strong line-up. But I'd prefer to see a couple of players rested for the Lille game e.g. Neville and Giggs.

READING LINE-UP:
    --------------Kuszczak
    Brown-----Rio-------Vidic--------Evra
    ----------Carrick----Scholes
    Park----------------------------Ronaldo
    -----------Saha----Rooney
    Subs: Heaton, Saha, Fletcher, Heinze, Ole

LILLE LINE-UP:
    ----------------VDS
    Neville----Rio------Vidic------Evra
    ----------Carrick-----Scholes
    Ronaldo----------------------Giggs
    ----------Rooney---Larsson
    SUBS: Kuszczak, Saha, Brown, Heinze, Ole, Fletcher, Park

FULHAM LINE-UP:
    ----------------VDS
    Neville----Rio--------Vidic-------Heinze
    Park-----Fletcher---Carrick-----Ronaldo
    ------------Ole-----Saha
    SUBS: Kusczcak, Rooney, Giggs, Larsson, Brown

LIVERPOOL LINE-UP:
    -----------------VDS
    Neville------Vidic-----Rio--------Evra
    Ronaldo-----Carrick---Scholes----Giggs
    -------------Rooney---Saha
    SUBS: Kusczcak, Brown, Larsson, O'Shea, Park

4. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    First. I don't want us to sacrifice the FA Cup or the C.L. You play them out. We are too far along to give anything up. Murphy's law says as soon as you do that you get knocked out of everything else. I think we can rest Scholes or Giggs or both against Fulham. Against liverpool, I would stick with the 4-4-2 with one outside player playing as a winger while the other plays more like an outside mid, pinching in to help the CM pair. Much like we used Fletcher in the first Liverpool match. If we use a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3, I think we lose all points. History does not lie. I agree about playing Heinze against liverpool, and normally I would say Heinze for lille. But with Evra being French, he might come up big on his home soil in the C.L.... so he gets the nod. Up front, Saha starts against Reading and Fulham, while Larrson gets the nod against Lille and Liverpool. Although I could make the same argument for strarting Saha against Lille as I did for Evra.

5. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Attack, attack, attack! :mad:

6. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    We dont have the squad to chase another treble, and I want that premiership more. Forget the FA Cup, it's lost it's shine for me. I'd rest Giggs/Rooney/Scholes against Reading. Then I'd go all out against Lille, Fulham and Liverpool. I'd rather we chase the League and Champions League.

7. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United have a good team, but no one can say they are as good a side as '99. No way can we win the *banned word that begins with tre*.
    Fergie has to prioritise.
    So I expect a much weakened team against Reading. I can see Richardson, Brown and Silvestre playing and Scholes and Giggs being rested.

Against Fulham I really think Fergie needs a really strong line-up. Fulham are a tricky side at home and we must win to get the 9 point gap on Chelsea. Fergie may like to tinker with the team though.

I am sure our strongest available line-up will play against Lille and Liverpool. The only question is whether Fergie starts with Larsson or Saha alongside Rooney. If Larsson is leaving in March :)( ) then does Fergie want to get as much out of him as possible before he leaves, or go with Saha, the man we are going to need to rely on in the crunch games in April and May?

8. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would you do? This is about you making the decisions, not guessing what Fergie would do. Would you field a weakened squad against Reading?

9. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    4-4-2 every game. Taking VR's lineup in the first post as the standard, here are the changes I'd make for each game:

Reading:
    Brown for Neville
    Park for Giggs
    Ole for Rooney

Lille:
    standard 4-4-2

Fulham:
    Fletcher for Scholes
    Larsson for Saha

Liverpool:
    Heinze for Evra

Obviously, once VDS is healthy, he starts.

10. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lille and L'pool are both away.

For Lille, I'd put out a 4-5-1 and try to catch them on the counter for an away goal. Drop Evra for Heinze and keep Scholes, Carrick and Fletcher in the middle with Ronaldo and either Giggs or Park on the other side. Rooney up top. Frustrate them, hope for a goal and go for the juggular back at home.

I don't think Liverpool are going to come out conservative in front of the Kop and new owners. They are also in a 3 way fight with the Arse and Bolton for the final CL spot. They will need every point they can get. And second place is not unthinkable for them. Full squad, restoring Evra and putting Larsson up top with Rooney. Carrick, Scholes, Ronaldo and Giggs across the middle of the park.

Reading should not be overlooked and the best available should play. Only consideration would be Saha for Larsson as he seems to do very well against his old team.

Fulham is indeed a banana peel. On their day they can play some very good football. Rest Giggs and Scholes for Fleth and Park.

11. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool needs the points and so do we. Despite that and the new owners, Benitez is very conservative and he is not going to play and open game, which would just invite United to tear Liverpool apart. Playing conservatively, Liverpool can make it a tight match. Playing open, Liverpool can't live with United.

12. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, I would go with that. As I said, Fergie will have to prioritise and the FA Cup is third on the list. If Richardson and Silvestre cannot play in this game (where Reading will also be weakened) then when will they play?
    I'd even go so far as to have Smith (or even Dong) on the bench. This may be the last opportunity where Fergie can take a chance in his line-up.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This will probably be more difficult than the Champions League game. The Reading ass-kissing aside, the FA Cup has been the competition where we've seen some of our tightest games so far (Villa, Pompey) so I expect this to be no different. Now we are all aware of Reading's tactics. It's not really neccessary to get Heinze into this one, the best strategy will exclusively be to attack as we usually do. If we do so the whole game, til the end, we should come out ontop.

4-5-1 or 4-3-3 most likely. ugh. But there really isn't a choice. Lille isn't the stongest team in the competition but they know what they're doing. They're doing considerably well in Ligue 1 and look an improved side to the one we lost to last year. But our transition has been far more impressive and there is NO reason we should lose again to this team, no matter how focused we are domestically and despite having Scholes/Carrick in CM. The latter will however be the weak link in this game. So it's best to line Carrick and Scholes up with Fletcher, and the game will be won by a decisive goal. So let's hope our forwards are up for this one.

While Fulham do look better than they looked when we first met, they are still leaky at the back (hehe) We should have no problem exploiting it. Ronaldo shoud play the whole game. I'd put Park in the first half to run them tired and put Giggs in the second to kill them off. Fulham are a very oportunistic side as of late, they're going to take their chances, they'll shoot from wide but will probably play a more Tottenham-like kamikaze football which we can easily exploit. No reason to lose this one.

The least predictable game just because Liverpool are unpredictable by themselves. Nobody exactly knows what team Benitez will field. I suppose Midfield will indeed be key. They will also thrive on running us tired, Gerrard, Bellamy, Kuyt, Riise are all hard workers that will be equally annoying. Larsson is a good option upfront because we need to take our chances and score, then again that won't be so difficult seeing as how Liverpool's defense can be broken this time around so Saha could be a nuissance the same way he was against Chelsea. Again, this game is difficult to predict, it might just be a very different game then our previous meeting this season.

Four matches, four wins, moving on in the FA Cup, in control in the Champions League, 12 up on Chelsea, testing their bottle.[/quote]

14. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    Reading:

-----Koozy
    Nev---Rio--Vid---Gaby
    Park---Carrick--Fletcher---Ronaldo
    ----Rooney--Saha

Lille:

-----VdS
    Nev---Rio--Vid---Evra
    Ronaldo---Carrick--Scholes--Giggs
    ---Rooney---Larsson

Fulham:

---VdS
    Nev---Rio--Vid---Heinze
    Park--Carrick---Fletcher--Ronaldo
    ---Rooney---Larsson

Scousers:

----VdS
    Nev---Rio--Vid---Gaby
    ---Rooney---Saha

15. lashjack

lashjack New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Go for the treble lads, it'll be your last chance if you lose Ronaldo in the summer.

16. Simply Red

Simply Red Member

Feb 15, 2007
    With Rooney being suspended against Reading I think the team picks itself for the upcoming maches. Saha needs matches and should therefor play alongside Larsson. Solskjaer is to slow and shouldn't be starting games unless both Rooney and Ronaldo are on the pitch, but as always he's a super sub. Carrick and Ronaldo didn't play against Charlton and should be allright for all of the upcoming matches. After the suspension Rooney should also be back in the team instead of Larsson. The upcoming matches are really important and the way I see it Larsson is able to play with whoever else is on the pitch. If he's on the bench it would be easy to change gameplan with him coming on for whoever that doesn't have a good game...

The defence should stay the same. Doesn't matter to much witch one of Heinze and Evra that plays, but I would choose Evra every game. His pace and offensive play wins that spot in my book.

Apart from that I only see Scholes and Giggs maybe needing a rest. The least important game in my book is the Reading game and I would rest Scholes and put Fletcher on. Fletcher played allright against Charlton and should be eager to prove himself after being out of the team for a while. Then after Reading Scholes should be playing the remainder of the matches. With Scholes and Rooney being out against Reading I wouldn't gamble on taking Giggs out of the team. With Giggs, Carrick and Larsson we would have alot of brain and with Saha and Ronaldo we would have instinct. That's a good mix.

And then even if Giggs is important in the CL I think he should be on the bench against Lille. I'm really uncomfortable about that game. Last time around when we played them their midfield totally controlled the game. We now have a more solid defense and Carrick-Scholes are doing well, but I would want a runner next to them. So Flecher gets the nod instead of Giggs. That Bodmer guy didn't seem to fast but he could pass the ball and I think Fletcher should be put on him. And with Giggs out of the team I would defenently go with Evra to get some width in our play.

Then there will be the Fulham game and then a week until Liverpool. For these to games I would go 442 with the regular players still with Saha instead of Larsson on top for the same reason as I said before. If we get a win against Lille away and Fletcher did allright against them and Reading maybe I'd play him instead of Giggs in the Liverpool game to. With a win away against Lille I think we should try to hammer them at home with 442 with Giggs back in the team. This game still bothers me, we haven't had much luck sitting back at so I would go for the win with putting my faith in Rio and Rooney to win me this one.

That is what I would do. Difficult to say what SAF will do against Reading, but I think we'll our regular midfield against Lille with Rooney and Giggs switching places and Larsson on top. I'm nervous about that game. I think SAF will play regular 442 against Fulham and maybe take Giggs out for Fletcher against the dippers.

These are going to be some hectic weeks, huhh... The most important thing is 12 points on Cfc and the money of next round of the CL...

17. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point that I forgot about Rooney being out against Reading. For me, its Saha and Larsson up front, with Saha probably not passing to Larsson at all.

18. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think we should play a strong lineup. No matter who is lining up for Reading, they will still be well-organized and tactically aware. We should put out our top squad, sans Rooney, and keep the momentum going. Like I said before, my real concern is Saha and Larsson playing together. No doubt they should be able to play together, but Saha doesn't always play nice with competitors for his spot in the team. I hope this isn't a problem. It may be worth playing Solskjaer instead of Larsson.

20. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread has been driving me crazy since VR first posted it. I don't know what we should do!!!! OK, I'll quit panicking. The first component of addressing our squad for the next few weeks involves thinking about our trophy priorities.

For me, the Prem is top, without a doubt. With Chelsea breathing down our necks and an away game to Liverpool on the horizon, we need to guarantee we take all of our Prem points first and foremost. While Fulham and Liverpool should both be tough games, as others have pointed out, we further have the opportunity to put pressure on Chelsea before the meet Portsmouth and Citeh. We need to field our strongest possible sides against both Fulham and Poo.

As for FA Cup versus UEFA, I'm torn. I'd be thrilled if we finished the season with the Prem title and the FA Cup. I'd be absolutely ecstatic if we finished with the Prem title and the UEFA cup, but I don't know that that's a realistic achievement. I think that, in prioritizing these two, what we're asking ourselves is, are we going the safer route to two trophies, or the highly unlikely route to two trophies. (Not that winning a trophy is ever "easy", but you know what I mean). This is where I get stuck. I want UEFA more than the FA Cup, but I'd rather have 2 trophies than just 1.

Other considerations: The FA / Reading match comes first, on a Saturday, after our being nice and rested. The Lille away game is on a Tuesday, sandwiched between the 2 Saturday matches. The Lille matchups are individually more forgiving than the Reading game, in that we have 2 legs -- and the crucial home leg is the Wednesday after the Liverpool match, 4 days later. (People aren't mentioning this point, but it seems like we have five games we really need to be thinking about in this sequence.) Outside of our Premiership matches, the biggest worry for me is that last Lille game at OT, when we'll be tired from this run of games generally and the Poo game specifically, and when the pressure might be on us big time to win. Normally, I would say that we need to just hold Lille for the away leg, and finish them off at home -- but I'm weary of the cumulative effect of this run of games. (Ugggh.)

Of of that being said, here are my tentative lineups:

Reading:

-----Koozy/VdS
    Nev---Rio--Vid---Heinze
    Park---Carrick--Fletcher---Ronaldo
    ----Saha--Larrson

Lille (Away):

-----Koozy/VdS
    Nev---Rio--Vid---Evra
    ---Rooney---Saha

Fulham:

---VdS
    Brown---Rio--Vid---Heinze
    Park--Carrick---Fletcher--Ronaldo
    ---Saha---Rooney

Scousers:

----VdS
    Nev---Rio--Vid---Evra
    ---Rooney---Larsson

Lille (Home):

-----VdS
    Nev---Rio--Vid---Evra
    ---Rooney---Saha

21. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if I made your brain hurt.

I understand what you are saying, two legs versus one leg, but at least we can play our regular style against Reading. The Lille game will be much more taxing for the team mentally. Also, I didn't include the return Lille match because that match's importance depends so much on the first match.

I'm surprised not to see Larsson in the Champions League matches. Why Saha over Larsson?

22. Simply Red

Simply Red Member

Feb 15, 2007
    You might be right, but I don't see Larsson and Saha as competitors for that one spot. Larsson was brought in so both Saha and Rooney could have breaks. Then Saha got injured and has needed time to get back. Larsson has kept is place in the meantime but I don't know if that is going to last. Because of the situation with us being top of the league with chelsea breathing down our neck I don't think Saha will be back starting games before he is a 100 % ready to give it all. But Larsson is maybe just here until March 12 so I think SAF would want to get Saha matchfit before that time and that would mean that he has to play. And with Larsson also being there will mean that Saha has to stay top of his game to stay in the team. I think Saha always has played his best football when that has been the situation.

I don't think there will be a problem. I think Larsson and Saha will complement each other with their style of playing. Saha will naturally give Larsson space and Larsson will help Saha in any way he can. I'm not so worried about those two, with Ronaldo and probably Giggs being there they will be able to create enough chances.

But what do you think of Scholes? I would also want the strongest team possible against Reading, but there is alot of important games ahead. After the Liverpool game we have Lille, Bolton and Blackburn. That's tough matches and I would want Scholes with fresh legs for all those matches. He did rest against Watford but I would sit him out of this one to. With the rest of the team being there I don't think it will be suicide not to play him. Our priority should be to win the PL. And with Glazer at the helm I think we should do everything to advance in the CL, it means money and we might be able to strengthen our squad in the summer.

The Reading game is interesting and it should be a fun game. It's exciting times :)

23. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see how this plays out, but Saha doesn't like to share with those that he views as competitors. On paper, they should be able to play together. I hope that your view turns out to be correct.

If it were up to me, I'd be playing a runner in central midfield with Scholes and Carrick in the matches against Lille and Liverpool. This would allow Scholes to conserve energy and be fresh for all the matches. If we play with Giggs in the middle or play 442 in these matches, Scholes may end up needing a breather.

24. Simply Red

Simply Red Member

Feb 15, 2007
    I would say Saha over Larsson because his style of play and if he plays well together with the rest I would say the team has higher potential than it has with Larsson. Rooney and Ronaldo are so physical and can counter attack at extreme pace, Saha has that same physic and therefor I think that he is a better choise for a starting lineup. What I hope is that those three will get back to the form and play together the way they did against Bolton. If that happens I don't think it matters who we meet in the PL except maybe Liverpool and Chelsea. With them on form together I don't think any of the other PL teams can stop them...

Then if Saha or any of the other attacking players are having an off day I would say Larsson is a better sub to come on to change the gameplan. Larsson is an inteligent player and can play well in many different roles and therefor play with whoever else is playing.

That would just be my first choice, but I don't think the other way around is bad choice either. I'm not so worried about our attack at the moment. All the different possibilites has extremly high potensial...

25. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you regarding the Prem, but not in the Champions League. Saha appears to lack the necessary guile that we need from the person leading the line against Continental teams. Larsson has that in spades, although I don't love him as a lone front man.