If I won the Lottery

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by owian, Mar 18, 2014.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mission Valley would be my preferred location in any instance. It's a more affordable place for an owner to build (and for any city taxpayer involvement), it's got ready made access to multiple freeways and public transit, and it doesn't present any scheduling conflict issues with the Padres and Petco Park which is only a few blocks from proposed east village sites.

2. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm partial to Mission Valley as well because it would be easier and because it would benefit SDSU.

Also, in case the NFL ever was to expand again then downtown would be the ideal place for an NFL stadium.

As for other places that have been mentioned, the only other place I have heard for a MLS team is the CV bayfront.

Others have mentioned eastern CV or Escondido but I believe those where for USL/NASL bids.

3. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Mission Valley would be the cheapest, fastest, and easiest place to build, still not sure if it's the best though. Other MLS cities have shown going for the easiest option isn't always the best, Chicago, Philly, Colorado, Dallas fans complain about the location of their stadiums regularly. And the reason is always the same, it was the easiest at the time.

Now I am not saying Mission Valley is Frisco, Tx. Obviously it's not, it is a central location that may actually be easier to get to for a majority of the county than downtown. BUT I do still like the downtown idea. Sorts out the convention center, right by the bay so in a picturesque location, and in the one urban neighborhood in the city.

Chula Vista Waterfront would be okay. Not ideal but close to 5 and the trolley so has decent transport links. Main issue would be a long way from North County which is a real hot bed of Youth Soccer.

Don't like Escondido or Eastlake to far for a majority of the county.

4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sdsualumni.org/s/997/ind...=10179&crid=0&calpgid=61&calcid=6992undefined

This is interesting in that it mentions a joint use Mission Valley site.

This means that whomever is promoting the MV site for an MLS team (I believe its Moores) is actively talking to member of the SDSU community.

I think this is the most solid piece of evidence I have seen in a while that points to this getting done once the Chargers leave.

owian repped this.
  5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More validation of the strong rumors that SDSU was working with a potential MLS team. This is great news. I already was hoping the Chargers would leave, but now I'm really hoping they piss off and take their scumbag owner with them.

owian and mike4066 repped this.