If Bliss leaves

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by ji_shuheng, Nov 16, 2004.

1. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bliss leaves who do we replace him with? Mulqueen? I'd like to see Vermes come back, but maybe he'd rather be calling for San Jose, I honestly don't know. Thoughts?

2. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Where would Bliss go?

3. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    he's in the running for the Rochester job, Rick

4. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Ah, I hadn't heard about Colorado. He'd be a good fit there. Wouldn't be surprised if they did pick him. Marcelo wouldn't be a bad choice either, but I hear that he's much more interested in a front office job. I say we get Vermes back here, or let Preki retire and make him an assistant. Both are great in the locker rooms, and Vermes at least is a natural leader, Preki less so.

6. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    two words:

Maurice Johnston

7. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    do we have a chance in hell at Johnson? I'd be more than a little surprised

8. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You don't see assistants leaving to take other assistant jobs. Maybe we can lure him by telling him that this club actually wins something on occasion.

I think Preki would be a good assistant for the glut of young players that will be coming in next year. Well, that and I want to be able to use his allocation while we have money and SI slots to burn.

9. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mo still lives in Overland Park. I'm sure he'd be very interested.

Peter Vermes has a better job than Wizards assistant coach. He's director of Blue Valley Soccer Club, for which he is well compensated.

Preki will want a job if he isn't playing, but I don't know if he's the right fit.

10. hartley

hartley Member

Preki would be great -- he could be the reserves coach.

11. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^ ouchie... I think Preki would really work in that spot... but is he done yet, or even close to done?

12. hartley

hartley Member

I personally don't think he is done. I would think he wants to have at least one more good year to show he could come back from the injury.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Which brings up a point. I think we'll see the average MLS coaching contingent go from 3 to 4 next season with a head coach, a primary assistant, an assistant who coaches the reserves, and the goalkeeping coach.

I could see Preki as a player/reserves coach.

14. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis

Maybe not done, but very close. I would love to see him come back for a final healthy year even if only as a sub. I loved watching him play indoor for st. louis back in the day. same cut back moves and vision back then...and they will still work next year. memo to mls defense: preki likes to cut it back and shoot lefty.

15. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    I'm not sure Preki has the temperament to be a coach. That being said, I'd love to see him stay with the organization and prove me wrong.

16. hartley

hartley Member

Funny, I have heard he does a pretty good job with kids about 10. Why wouldn't he do well with older players?

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think his personality may help him. He's not too close to the other players. The question mark is how he handles players not giving it their all. Some like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird get fed up with it and get out. Others Yogi Berra and Bill Russell do great.

He definitely understands the fundamentals of the game. I'd love to see him in charge of the KC Wizards Reserves.

18. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    He just strikes me as a grumpy old man with no patience. I could very well be wrong and reserve the right to be wrong. Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong.

19. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    Are you describing Bill Parcells? Perhaps Joe Gibbs? These guys are pretty good coaches.

These qualities of Preki's may not be such a hindrance to being a succesful coach. I think that if Preki wants to be a coach - and this is the key, not his characterstics - then he has all of the soccer knowledge and ability to teach that one would need. Coaching a Reserves team could be a great start for him to see if coaching is really what he wants to continue doing. if he's successful at first, the sky'd be the limit.