If america becomes good

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by fargonole, Jul 16, 2005.

1. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, when the World Series was started, we were the only country to have an established league so being the Marketers we are, the US called the MLB Champ series, the world series. This fall (I think) will be the first Wold Cup of Baseball where all of the BB countries will play a RR tournament to put this issue to bed.

And the British are not the best a Cricket anymore. The Sub-continent has been tops for a while now with Australia following.

2. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Officially Australia are the Worlds best cricket team, England are rated 2nd, this could change over the next two months as the Ashes begins at Lords tomorrow. C'mon England! :)

3. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Very good point. The majority of Americans believe the world resents us because we are powerful, rich, cool, smart, free and happy.

WTF is that. The world does not revolve around america for other nations as much as Americans think. They are consumed with their daily lives. And when they want to know about others it is not always relative to themselves.

Please, we need to curb this "we are the only superpower" crap. I really don't know what that means when the world is stacked to the nose with nuclear and other massivly distructive weapons. They days of one nation dominating are over.
    If only we knew more about the world we wouldn't have become the bully of the world as we are seen at this time and our voting would have been in line with that knowledge.

We are good people, there is no doubt about that. We are cool, yes, to some extent. We are free, yes. Our freedom and democratic values are deeply rooted, yes, we are compassionate, yes. We think sientifically, yes, to the most part. Our world view is based on in always making it better, yes.
    We are hardworking, dedicated, competitive, we do help others Yes, etc...

The problem is most of us don't know shite about other people and culture. We think of ourselves it is our time to dominate the world. Kind of like the Roman empire did. As the Romans expected all others to act, dress, talk like Romans.

4. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    You already are bloody good......sheesh!!

5. Nepal Footy

Nepal Footy New Member

Feb 8, 1999
    Nepal
    I don't think we have to worry about any one country dominating the soccer landscape in the future. The game has pretty much reached every corner of the globe and as time goes by there will be more and more parity. Already you see it in Europe as minnow nations that used to lose by 7 - 10 goals now only lose by 3 - 4 goals and the ones that used to lose by 3 - 4 goals only lose by 1 - 2 goals.

Remember you only have to have 11 players (squad of 20 or so) that are comparable to the opposing team. The fact that America might in the future have more quality players than any other nation is moot if for example the 20 best Japanese players are as good as the 20 American players in the World Cup. I think this was some-what proved in the Olympic basketball competition. No country comes close to having as much basketball talent as the USA, but the 5 best Argentinian players were good enough to beat their USA counterparts. (I realize there was no Shaq on the USA team, but at the same time Shaq is a freak of nature that only comes around once in a generation - The USA's next best center Tim Duncan was there).

My only concern if soccer becomes really popular in the USA is that the US networks will dictate international soccer, thus I fear they might press to change the laws of the game to suit network TV - like 4 quarters, timeouts, etc. Basically MLS would not have to take orders and could do whatever it wants, like paint team logos on the pitch or create larger goals (which they tried to do in their inaugural season, but were stopped by FIFA)

6. fargonole

fargonole New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    i wish that the soccer fans of the usa could keep control over the game if it did become popluar. there should be a fan governing force so that fans arent forced to digest sports. like what is happening to the other major professional sports. if too much crap goes on, the fans just dont watch or go to the games.

lam its just about education. we have a lot going for us, but i think a lot of people are unhappy because of the american culture. the things we have talked about cause this, but that only scratches the surface. if we can change the educational system and make study abroad a more mandatory thing in college. it could start things in a better direction.