If 2-4 Mexican Clubs Joined MLS...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaveBrett, Apr 26, 2020.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    A rumor I've heard is that 2-4 Mexican teams will join MLS in the next few years, while the rest of the teams stay in a Mexican league. It's just a rumor, and there are a whole lot of logistical problems to overcome. But if this does happen, which teams would you want to join MLS, and why? The Liga MX teams closest to the US border are Juarez, Tijuana, and Monterrey.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would clubs want to leave Liga MX? Even if they could make more money in MLS, they would lose their old rivals and lose bragging rights. Tijuana and Monterrey have been in the Concacaf Champions League often enough that they must have had success in Liga MX. I made an analogy of adjacent countries where the country with the higher population has the worse league. I'm not saying it's a great analogy, but I came up with if Osijek and/or Varazdin wanted to leave the Croatian First League for the Hungarian Nemzeti Bajnokság I.

3. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Access to the American market means they can make more money. Simple as that.

4. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    That sounds wrong in so many levels! They are a club not a franchise, if they close their doors in Mexico they will automatically lose all their Mexican fan base. A club can't just move. They might invest in an MLS franshice for the money but the last time a Mexican team invested in MLS it did work out very well.

At this point one should ask for the source of this rumor. Any official link?

5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think any Liga MX clubs would be interested.

I could picture some of the bigger Ascenso MX clubs, being locked out of Liga MX for the next five years, deciding to get out of the Mexican system instead. The problem with that is: the only Ascenso MX club close to the border was also the one with the lowest average attendance this season, while most of the clubs with recent Liga MX history are at the other end of the country.

EvanJ repped this.