Ideas for replacing shoot outs

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by benine, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.

2. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    My pleasure,

You have completely misunderstood every aspect of this thread. Go back to the first posting, and you will read that the whole point to this thread was to come up with interesting and creative alternatives to the Penalty Shoot Out. The underlying reason being that Penalty Shoot Out as a way to determine a winner in matches where there must be a winner, is a second rate way to find a winner. So, the challenge was to think "outside the box" and come up with some nifty ways, even outrageous ways, to find a winner. For some reason, you and many or your countrymen seem uterly unable to grasp this concept.

Instead of one insightful, foolish, ridiculous, amazing, and impossible suggestion after another, we get a bunch of EPLites blathering, over and over again, how everything is just okay as it is, and not a damn thing should change. I could get more imagination out of a pile of plywood than the postings from, mostly English, in this thread.

And, would it ever cross your minds to offer an alternative to the Penalty Shoot Out? Just for gits and shiggles? Just as a flight of fancy? A moonbeam? A mote of dust floating in air on a warm summer's day? OH, HELL NO! You and your mates would rather trudge in lock step to the present FIFA fules, like the masses of workers in Fritz Lang's Metropolis, than proffer even the simplest alternative.

I have tried every race baiting slur, and derogtatory remark allowed on these boards to dislodge you and yours from their myopia. I have failed, utterly. A thermonuclear devise couldn't dislodge your creativity and your imagination.

So, trundle off to you new EPL season, sweat over relegation, and sing lustily while multimillionaires on the pitch calculate their overnight earnings on the foreign currancy exchanges. I have tried my best, and there are better threads than this mess that I need to read.

3. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

the simple answer to whty none has thought of a better idea than penalties is somply because there arn't any. Face the facts and stop bleeting....

4. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Well as long as you trundle off to your mighty 10 club MLS and sweat over which team isn't going to the playoffs.

And anyway, I get what you're saying about simply voicing options in order to do away with penalties.

Did you want a thread consisting pointlessly of paintball ideas or did you want people to come up with ideas that might work?
    If so, then it's been done - to death. We, being to some degree, tethered by reality have come to the conclusion that this was a vaguely sensible thread asking for better alternatives to PKs. We have also come to the conclusion (over many years and not just on this board) that there aren't many other better ways when we take all eventualities into consideration.

If the topic was 'ways to solve the ozone layer problem', would you be insisting that the conversation should be diverted away from serious suggestions like reducing pollution etc., and steering us towards coming up with designs for several giant umbrellas that will shield the earth from deadly UV rays?
    The idea has no legs (much like many of yours), what's the point in discussing it or even coming up with worse?
    It's not a question of whether we're stayed, it's a question of whether there's a point in dicussing needless changes to the game that would result in players having to play more, increase the potential for getting injured and plenty of other negatives.
    They've been explained to you.
    And despite the tone of your posts, I can tell you're not stupid person - and this puzzles me even more.
    Do you have a job? If it requires brainstorming, I pity your colleagues.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow I leave this thread for a couple of days and see what happens, lol. Well after reading some comments about players getting hurt to my idea (play till someone scores, play all night if you have to), I really never thought of that. And you are right, we already had a crappy WC because players were still recovering from their leagues. So lets see, I really would like to think if a team was forced to score to win, they would really really try and the stronger team and the team with better stamina would prevail. But then I'd have people saying, thats not football or something. So I hate to say this, but maybe penalty kicks are the only reasonable way of settling a game. Sad, but I guess you have to take care of business in regulation, even though I think it really depends on the game.....

You could have 2 teams that were so closely matched and they just needed a little extra time to decide the winner. Then you could have some team like Germany who would just bunker in and wait for a shootout. and since we can't make exceptions for each game, we do penalties

As for the little argument between the American and Britt. Counterattack- your comments make us Americans look like we don't know what we're talking about. The game was played differently in the old days, times have changed. Don't piss on the English, they do know what we're talking about. Being part English, I love the England national team and I've seen all their terrible penalty losses (mostly to those scum Germans), so thats why I oppose the idea so much, but hey reality sucks sometimes.

6. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    No, you haven't been trying to encourage creativity at all. All you have done is come up with some ideas (well done for that), and insulted virtually every person who has disagreed with you. I admit, I haven't got my thinking cap on about the topic in the title, but no suggestions are better than the load of sh_t ones you came up with.

I happen to think that penalties are more viable than a corner count, a replay, ongoing extra time etc. that are the usual suggestions. However, that is not to say I, or anyone else should be insulted by some faceless collection of letters with an attitude problem just because I disagree with you, and haven't really thought about the question at hand. And you accuse me (and others) of leading this thread astray, when it is you who is throwing insults at the European contributors in the hope of getting a reaction.

If there are better threads on this board, trundle off to them. Better still, trundle off to a different website you rude so-and-so.

7. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

Re: Re: Ideas for replacing shoot outs

just what the doctor ordered

no pun intended :D

8. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    I prefer knife fights to shootouts ...

9. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

well thats great...good for you...

someone call a doctor we got a phsyco run for your lives!!!!