Ideas for replacing shoot outs

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by benine, Aug 9, 2002.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This thread has become a very American one. Even quoting from MLS stats. Even to the terminology.

American sports have overtime periods. Football or soccer if you must has 30 minutes of extra time played in two halves.

MLS played a strange but novel 35 yard charge the goalie thing (it seemed after every game) Even they got tired of this farce,

Unlimited Subs unlimited times, I know a lot of our US fans would like to see this, that way we can have an attacking team and a defending team at the discretion of the coach. Or a place kicker for free kicks and PKs (and that’s all he does)

All I can say is. If you don’t like sport, watch your own kind of football, it’s not a bad game.

I’ll agree the golden goal idea didn’t work. But after 2 hours of football there has to be a way to end the game and as of now only PKs seem to be the answer. At one time it used to be a toss of a coin, now that ‘was’ a bad idea.

In an ideal world a penalty kick is as good as a goal but as we’ve all seen, nervous shooters and good guesses by the goalies change the equation.

And counting corners is just plain silly. Instead of crossing the ball for a chance of a shot or header on goal, we can just kick it against the defenders legs and tally up the corners.

Until somebody comes up with a serious and a more satisfying way to end a great game then leave the extra time and PKs.

Name calling because you don’t like the way its done ‘without’ coming up with a better way (and I mean better) isn’t very bright either.

2. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

i dont mean to sound patronising or like im taking the pi$$ but that idea about take a player off after 5 mins is the most stupid idea i have ever heard and will never ever be brought into the game of football.

That said i think that extra time and penalties are the correct way to decide a match. If you took penalties away then there would be no incentive to attack in extra time. When it comes to penalties it is the same for both teams and therefore it is fair to both teams.

I am an english man and i know we have been at the recieving end of a few bad results from penalties. But until a sensable, practicle idea comes along.(which it wont) Penalties will stay.

As for GG is like and i dont like it (if u know what i mean) i like the fact that the more attacking team has the advantage. However i dont like it as a lucky goal against the run of play would end the game without the chance for the other team to come back. This takes a way the real entertaining last 5-10 mins when the team is really pushing for a goal.

I think that we should go back tot he old style ET and stick by penalties.....

3. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I concur, go back to the old style extra-time (giving teams chance to go behind then come back) and stick with penalties.

4. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Even though there is absolute evidence that Penalties are artificial, un-football, and an abmomination, these wanker Brits cling to them like barnacles.

Why?

Because they were told to. It's the same old class system, don't rock the boat, do as you are told young man crap that got millions of of their fellow Brits to abandon that god awful little island and come over here to North America and think and act as full grown human beings with a mind of their own.

That's why.

5. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

Its called an opinion....everyone is entittled to one....aparently this tosser ^^^^^^^^^^^^ above is not mature enough to understand that.

And whats that crap about penalties being "unfootball" well thats funny because i thought penalties were part of the game..but thatss just me ey?

And what is that crap about britains not "rocking the boat" What the F*** u on about?

And you say we should "act as full grown human beings with a mind of their own" oh im sorry,... u must be the expert on British culture, and state of mind i guess

Im going to start a US v UK childish post because i know he is just a kid and an exception

U say Britain is "GOD AWFUL" been recently have you...thought not again.

how about basing your arguement, however irelavent, on facts.

Your arguement has
    1) no point

2)no bases

3) nothing to do with the point

4) Hold no new suggestions, obviously his small little brain couldnt think of anything senseble to say....

How about u go play in the kiddie playground until you grow up...

6. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

PenALTIES ARTIFICIAL??..SEEMED PRETTY REAL WHEN ENGLAND SEEM TO LOSE THEM... OR WAS I DREAMING?

7. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    The sub thing is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my entire life, I never thought an idea would top golden goal for awfulness but it has. Since you've written off all the Americans and British views I guess that means I'm the only one entitled to an opinion? Scrap Golden Goal, keep two halfs of extra time and solve it either with penaltys after that or that 35 yard charge dealie, Golden Goal is not only Rubbish and boring but it's prevented us from some of the most brilliant moments in football. Remember the UEFA cup final like I said, Liverpool V Alaves, if it wasn't for Golden Goal chances are that would have been one of the best extra times, to go right up there with that France Germany match, the extra time there was one of the best scenes in football.

8. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    If you want to do this, go to the rivalries forum.

But I guess this is just your little way of 'rocking the boat'.

Anyway little man, be a free-thinking man, but just follow BS rules.

9. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    You do have to laugh at the unbeliveble irony of the statement though.

I wont say anything about it but to the person who posted that, espically the last part, I recomend listening to a song by Bob dylan, "With god on their side"

10. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    As always, this debate flies off and forgets the whole raison d'etre for the arguemt - to decide a match.

After TWO hours of football and to allow players to recover for the next game, a QUICK, DECISIVE, but FAIR solution is needed. Entertainment is NOT a factor I would include.

Of everything proposed, penalties still provides that the best.

The one thing I dislike about penalties is that someone has to miss and because its such a public and obvious failure, they are therefore blamed by the media, armchair fans, etc. for costing them their place in the next round. That annoys me, but ultimately football IS as much about human frailty, as it is about human achievement and someone has to screw up for someone else to win.

Its imperfect, but penalties does a dirty job pretty effectively.

11. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

there are always "heros" and "villans" any way. If it is not decided on penalties and they lose people will always find a scapgoat to blame it all on.

Keep penalties and go back to classic ET

12. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    To quote another North American,
    Helpless, helpless, helpless, helpless.

Good Lord, the whole concept behind this thread was a lively and creative back and forth on how to make the beautiful game its very best. Instead we get this jaundiced Euro Trash cynical blather about going back to classic ETs and penalties. Never mind that penalties are an artificial and ridiculous concept forced on the game in modern times. You really want to go back? At least go back to the extra match, if the first one is still deadlocked. Playing football until there is a clear result is far better then playing dodge ball at the end of classic struggle to decide a winner when one must be found.

In lieu of that original and genuine method of getting a result, try, just try, for once in your circumscribed lives to have an original thought and come up with a way to end a match without the golden goal OR the penalty shoot out. Just pretend others really care about your opinion, and that the hurly burly of give and take will actually create a gestalt with a worthy solution. I know they don't teach you this in Public Schools, but try anyhow. It won't kill you.

And all this from the people who gave the world Question Time. It is hard to believe.

13. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

once again with the penalties are artificial...when i watch them they seem real....

And have you come up with an idea yet?...no didnt thinkk so

tat is because there are no sensable alternatives.

And until you come up with an idea u can F### off and stop with all this "Euro Trash cynical blather"

U call me what you like. Im just facing the facts.
    1) there are no good alternatives

2) its been used a very long time

3) its effective, as a winner and loser is found quickly

Until you come up with an idea i suggest you stop putting me down for being reasonable and sensable suggestion.

Also you dont have to take these posts persoanlly. Non of my comments are personall attacks. how about u calm down and count to 10 before you type...

14. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

you say penalties were moden thing thrown across..blah blah whatever....

they were introduced in the 80's. That isnt exactly recent times...

Come up with a better idea and i will agree with your arguement but untill you do...stop posting bollocks....

15. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    if you'd dominated so much then why didn't you win? the penalty kick shoot out is FINE for one thing... breaking ties. which is what it is used for. what makes you think watching ireland go out in pks would be any less boring then seeing them lose on a weak goal after they'd been running for 180 minutes?

pks are fine. losing in pks is SUPPOSED to be bitter and agonizing. losing in any manner of overtime would be.

that being said... i think goalies should be allowed to take two steps off their line during pks. it would make taking penalty kicks alot tougher, thus more of a skill win than a luck win.

otherwise. keep em.

16. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    don't hold back... tell us how you REALLY feel.

17. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Yeah, replaying a match is really an option during a world cup when you've another match in 2 days time, that makes sense, idiot. Will we go back to a toss of a coin?

18. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

you couldnt allow "2 yards" because who is going to judge that then?...it all then becomes too confusing and too hard to judge etc...

but at least someone is coming up with ideas unlike someone who just spouts crap

19. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

Its getting annying the way people say that if one team dominates and then lose on penalties it is unfair.

But if you are the better team you have had 120 mins to prove it. And since they havent then penalties is a fair outcome.

20. Se Me Dao

Se Me Dao New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Indianapolis
    I don't like games ending on penalties. But I've never heard a better solution.

Now if you disagree, feel free to rant and make an ass out of yourself again.

21. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Exactly, ET and penaltys are the way to go unless you want ET and 35 yard dealies. Penaltys are a test of nerve, steel and coldness, if you don't have that you shouldn't play football.

"Just pretend others really care about your opinion"

Yeah, because I'm sure Blather right now has your post on his computer screen a big bulb just appeared above his head "By god, the man with the IQ of my electric toothbrush is right!"

22. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    what you fail to realize is that blatter actually takes orders from his toothbrush. i mean come on... this is the man who wants to make the world cup every two years.

23. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    While I wish there was a better solution than PK's I'm not sure there is. Though I like the idea of allowing the keeper to move a step or two off their line to equalize some (though this should only be done in shootout because PKs in normal time are punishment).

PK's aren't pretty, but I feel little sympathy for those who argue about the dominant team losing to an inferior team in PK's. Scoring goals is part of the game, if you weren't able to score more than your opponent, then you ultimately didn't deserve to win. I don't care if a team has possession for 80 minutes of the match, if they can't finish, they haven't earned a win.

Finally, I think FIFA should go back to the traditional 30 minutes of extra time, then maybe more to 10 minuts of golden goal (goals may be ugly by this point but they still count. Hockey playoffs have hideous goals in triple overtime, but it's still unbelievably exciting). Then, if its still a draw, go to the shootout.

24. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    "PK's aren't pretty, but I feel little sympathy for those who argue about the dominant team losing to an inferior team in PK's"

Exactly, don't believe in this move an inch thing it could lead to some stupid arguments at crucial times.

25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It seems as if most people with the exception of the “Sad little moron with the giant inferiority complex” seems to think that the best way we have to finish the game as of now, is the extra time, (No GG) followed by PKs. Nobody seems to have come up with a better suggestion “YET”
    My suggestion at this point would be to move the PK spot ‘for the shoot out’ back an extra 3 yards. We’d see some real saves from the goalies and we’d find out who the real shot takers are.

If brainattack could stop his name calling and cease the trashy diatribes. And get over the sad fact that his family are probably NOT ‘Native Americans’ He might like to present his ideas for ending the game.
    I’m sure his contribution would make the whole football world gape in awe at the simplicity of his outstanding remedy to the biggest problem in the game right now.

I for one am looking forward to it.