Ideas for GCSC

Discussion in 'Eads Brigade' started by StlSpursFan, Mar 3, 2008.

1. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    GCSC ideas

Hey longtime reader, sometimes post. but i have a few ideas for the supporters club, if we were to be name something having to do with knights and such. we could name the section of the supporters camelot and the supporters club knights of the round table. these are pretty chesey but i was watching monty python today, lol. any other ideas?

2. bellysk8er2005

bellysk8er2005 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Re: GCSC ideas

someone was saying how it would be cool to get flags from like the little townships and i agree with that but how about little sub groups with in GCSC like for the people who live on the hill or dogtown.

3. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So here's my idea.

Commercial advertising something...probably tickets..

Starts with one guy holding a flag or a sign saying the name of a city or whatnot. Then fade into another one and another one saying things such as "are you united?" "Are you ready?" "Where does your loyalty lie?" Then flash all the pictures past quickly. Fading into black until the SLSU logo pops on the screen with ticket details and one voice saying "Are you united?"

Okay, so I just felt compeled to type this, I'm majoring in marketing so I love coming up with this stuff. Oh and Cooper, if you read this, I'm looking for a summer internship. :) Give me a holler!!

I swear though, if this commercial shows up on TV in 2 years I'm getting royalties or something. At least a jersey. ;)

4. bellysk8er2005

Jul 6, 2007

ha thats sound cool i want to see that

5. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So, I have some ideas to offer, if you'd like. I have supported the Fire via Section 8, and I founded Legion 1818 at SLU.

-Turn the GCSC into a non-profit. Take donations. Ask for money. Make a membership group with due-paying members. This should help your cause when trying to work things out with the team's management, and will allow you to do other things, like charitable work if you so choose.

-Tailgate (obvious). But make it an awesome tailgate. Try to make as much of it free as possible (whether it's "buy a hamburger, get a drink free" or something like that). With Legion 1818, we were fortunate enough to have people donate us food and drink for our tailgates before every game. Provide entertainment, too. Maybe a DJ.

-Go to Wal-Mart/Target/Jo-Ann Fabrics, and buy a butt-load of fabrics in the team's colors, and get creative. I'm sure some banners will come from adidas (like a huge replica jersey), but make some by hand. Make two-pole banners. Make a huge STL flag. Make one where you paint the GCSC logo on it. Make one with the team's motto (if applicable on it). A lot of paint and sewing materials might be used, but your hard work in creating a hand-made banner is sure satisfying.

-Create original songs. "You'll Never Walk Alone" is overdone. So is "Ole Ole Ole". Either create your own catchy jingle, or modify the words to some other songs. I would suggest Dropkick Murphy's and/or Flogging Molly as a starting point. Those bands have some great songs that could be easily modified for a supporters group.

-Run everything past management. You do not want to piss them off. They will LOVE you for what you bring to the game, the team, the atmosphere, and the stadium... but they hold the cards, and unless they screw you first, don't try to mess with them. They should be your best friends.... otherwise they will raise YOUR ticket prices or reduce YOUR seating section.

-Utilize websites like eBay, and buy some drums, horns, flag poles, streamers and other goodies. You have to create an atmosphere.

-Turn "Gateway City Supporters Club" into a brand. Make scarves with the team name on one side, and GCSC on the other. Make t-shirts with the team crest on the front, and the GCSC logo and motto on the back. Members should show they they not only support the team, but also the supporters group. They are true fans.

-Set yourselves apart. Do something unique. Legion 1818's concept was to theme ourselves to be a bit Irish. SLU is a Catholic school with a heavy Irish influence either by student population or Saint Louis history. So we went to some fabric stores, bought a lot of plaid material, and hand-made kilts... close to 50 of them. At one point, our motto was "They can take our pants, but they can never take our freedom!". And we modeled a few of our songs after some Irish drinking songs....

-Hold special events for various reasons. Pub crawl around Collinsville or the Washington Lofts District. Executive board elections held at a restaurant with team players in attendance. Caravan to MLS Superdraft location. Anything that would promote group unity, and/or give you a reason to fund raise... do it. And you'll get some great publicity, too.

-Extra-curricular activities. Sunday morning pub team. Winter indoor team. Volunteering at a shelter on Thanksgiving.

6. bellysk8er2005

Jul 6, 2007
    um sports billy i would recomend a thread merge here

7. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    yeah... sorry about that. i meant to post in the other forum, then got sidetracked for a couple hours and forgot. again, sorry.