Idea to UTILISE the season ticket holders

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by BigFrank, Apr 14, 2005.

1. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    As is represented on this board, the Revos have an unfortunately ever-dwindling, but still loyal group of hardcore supporters.

With numbers that are getting downright scary about the club's long term survival, the club needs to do whatever they can to attract more people through the turnstiles.

I am offering up this idea, and people can discuss it and maybe the club might even decide to try it.

The Revos should pick a match where they don't expect a big walk-up (perhaps any match) and call it Season Ticket Holder Appreciation Day/Night.
    They should give every season ticket holder a coupon for a free admission to bring someone with them to that designated match.

Now the season ticket holders would most likely want to sit next to the person that they brought.
    Every lower section could be open for this particular match, with general seating in every section that is normally closed.
    If a seat was not open next to season ticket holder's usual seat, they would have the option of moving to the general admission seats for this game only, first-come, first-serve.

The club would effectively be thanking their season ticket holders, increasing the gate for that match and expanding their potential customer base, which is so desperately needed.

It is a give-away, but it really is a give-away to their current customers that could have a positive residual affect.

It is only one idea, but what do people think?

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, they could do it for the Real Salt Lake game on August 10, a Wednesday night.

In some ways, this is another way to spin the "ticket exchange" idea that the Revs have declined to do every time someone brings it up. But as a one-shot deal they might try it. The benefit would be that by exposing someone new to the Revs, if they have a good time at the game, they would be more likely to come back again, this time buying a ticket. Now if this person is accompanying a STH, it is a different dynamic than giving free tickets to a non-fan. The STH is there to guide the new fan, as opposed to someone sitting ther wondering about concepts like added time and yellow cards.

But on a related note, why are the Revs not playing this week, and yet there are TWO Wednesday night games later this year against western teams making their only appearance. Wouldn't it be better to not waste a perfectly good Saturday early in the season (when teams are still trying to jell) than to have a couple of 3-games-in-8-weeks stretches later in the season when players are more likely to be banged up and needing a rest?

Tom

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, there's another way to utilize the STH.

And it's the first item on the Revs boards here. Bring people to that game against DC. If we can get a good showing in the Fort, and on the pitch ... with the atmosphere that we could have, that might help sell tickets as well.

Bringing in 500 people extra on a Wednesday night (if you even get that many on a weeknight, with having to drive there in the traffic mess that always exists) ... having 500 there for the match on the 14th could be much more impressive. And they won't show up to see just 5000 people in the stands.

4. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    not like they couldn't have 'fixed' this prior to the season....however, galaxy is the other team with the week 'off'. chivas is already at home...so, hdc being used. my guess is that maybe the league had bent to the will of the revs maybe and not sched 2 early/mid april games in a row. probably is a 'requirement' now that every team have a 'home opener' in the first 2 weeks of the season....unless you have stadium construction issues?

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I like it. Maybe it should be 2 tickets, or 2 tickets per account. But those are only details.

I think you should pitch it to Craig Tornberg.

6. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    I have thought about this for DCU. More in the terms of me dreaming about when I own DC what would I do, instead of pitching it to the ownership. But I really like the idea, and it works for any team no matter the fan base at this point in the MLS. In complete seriousness I say pitch the idea.

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigFrank may have more credibility if he actually went to the games. Still a good idea.

8. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    No, not for that game. Similar to the ethnic or whatever you want to call it appeal of Chivas games, I bet the RSL match will be packed to the rafters with Mormons. ;)

9. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    actually, just reading this again.....it's sort of similar to something i've suggested to the revs for about 4 years now.

if the revs 'refuse' to have a full ticket exchange....i honestly don't see the downside to the following (basically, along the lines of 'amnesty day' for public libraries...turn your books back w/o fines)

take the last home game of the season (which is usually 'fan appreciation night' i believe anyway....whatever that is.) open some portion of the stadium that isn't generally open right now as g.a. (maybe the opp fort end zone?) and allow s.t. holders to trade in unused tix from this season to use for this g.a. section.

as stated in the many iterations of this scheme, you're only allowed to trade in as many tix as are in your account.
    (if you have 4 tix....you can only trade 4 tix)

not only does this have the benefit of throwing a bone the s.t. holder's way....but it gets 'potentially' a larger than normal crowd into the place for the last home game of the season. now....it made slightly more sense when only 2 teams missed out on the p.o's and/or the last home game of the season was generally scheduled to be the mutts. with hopefully a larger crowd against a main rival....the more 'intense' atmosphere combined with the revs' opportunity to get more of a message off about playoffs....maybe...just maybe....you might pull more people in for the home leg of the series....and might be a cliff-hanger of sorts for the next season.

from at least 1999-2003 the mutts were the last home game.
    don't know if its 'on purpose' but the fire were last year's and this year's.
    ....i got sorta' used to those silly stripees on the last day.
    i miss 'em.

10. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    If this idea has a chance to make a positive impact, it would need to be scheduled far enough in advance for season ticket holders to make plans to bring others (a couple of weeks advanced notice should be enough) and still be early enough in the regular season so any residual effect will actually be realised this season.

To leave it to the end, for a fans' appreciate night, wouldn't have any effect on this season. And just like the 2002 MLS Cup final crowd, there is no guarantee that they would even remember for the following season.

11. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    well....i'm not 100% sure you're going to see much of a residual effect during the season with some of these 'new' people coming to the game ...i'm guessing that many of the people that a season ticket holder would bring are people that are already in the 'soccer community' and probably have been around the revs before. it'd be just season ticket holders getting to use some potentially unused tix.

if you're really looking to create a 'buzz' within the season and give s.t. holders a chance to use some tix (b/c you will NEVER find that the revs will comply with your idea of giving 'free' tix to season ticket holders)....then i'd suggest folding it in with one of my other 'things i'd like to see in mls'....rivalry week.

don't need to go into all the specifics again (written them all before)....but, it'd basically be a 'home and home' with a particular 'rival' over the 4th of july week (one midweek and one weekend game). we already see that college sports and most pro sports 'promote' their rivalries.....they're trying to do that more formally with chivas and l.a. right now....but it could branch out to the other teams as well and be an annual fixture.

maybe that's a better time to do something like this.....get the 'buzz' up from the teams and the media and try and pack the place out. if people really feel that the 4th sees too many people 'going away'....then have it the week after.

12. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

The Revs would be smart to play up the Revs vs. MetroStars

Catch on the coattails of Sox v. Yankees, Pats and Jets etc

13. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I was thinking this, too. Metros could do the same thing.

14. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Maybe start chanting " Metros SUCK "

15. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that clearly Metros and DC are rivals to a greater degree than we are with either team. Probably the closest thing we have to a rival is Columbus, who wish that Chicago was their rival (whose rival is Dallas, obviously).

League Appropriated / Manufactured:

DC <--> Metros
    LA <--> Chivas
    RSL <--> Colorado

Acknowledged:

Dallas <--> Chicago
    DC <--> Metros
    LA <--> SJ
    RSL <--> Colorado (I guess, fans in SLC seem to believe in it).

Wishful thinking:

Columbus --> Chicago

Out in the Cold:

New England
    Kansas City
    Columbus
    San Jose (now that the league has decided Chivas is LA's rival).

16. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Boston and NY are always rivals

You just need to transfer it to another sport

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    yea, F Boston. See.... the rivalry marches on....

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah ... we always enjoy flippin' off NYC as soon as we see it on the bus trip. NY Sucks! :D

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    You know what the biggest problem is.... for whatever reason.... I don't hate Revs fans..... sorry..... I hate Red Sox and Bruins fans with a passion (don't follow NBA or NFL), but I don't explicitly hate Revs fans. I hate the Revs, but not their fans. Whereas I hate DC and their fans, and I hate Chicago and their fans. It's weird. I do hope though that ya'll hate Metro fans as much as you hate the Metros. And when you lads come down to 16-A, please don't bing your hospitality with you.... I honestly need more reasons to hate ya'll.

20. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I SLEPT WITH YOUR WIFE

(Does that help?)

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Maybe in about 10 years or so ;)

22. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nuts. How 'bout your mom?

23. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus can't be our rivals, in order to be our rivals you need to be competitive with us.

24. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I don't hate anyone's fans...

Not crazy about the guys who threw bottles at our friends and our rental van, though...

I do hate the Metros, though... And the Fire, though that gets harder with no Hristo- now no Razov! That helps with the Crew hating, however. DC- well that Conference Final last year was enough for them to have earned my respect.

Edit: Oh yeah, Kansas City... eh.

25. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but you can respect a team while still hoping the bastards lose.