idea: Northwest Pro League (USL-2 level)

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by bright, Sep 4, 2009.

1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An issue that has been kind of sitting around for a while is the lack of western teams at the USL-2 level. It evolved to this point because USL-2 level teams can't really afford lots of cross-country travel. As a result, the USL-2 teams are concentrated on the east coast.

My idea is that the whole PDL Northwest Division could convert to a professional league and play at the USL-2 level. Kitsap Pumas are already professional and would like to move to USL-2 or USL-1. We'd have the following 10 teams represented:

Vancouver Whitecaps Reserves
    Victoria Highlanders
    Abbottsford Mariners
    Spokane Shadow
    Yakima Reds
    Seattle Wolves
    Tacoma Tide
    Kitsap Pumas
    Portland Timbers U-23
    Cascade (Salem) Surge

... and could probably add a few more.

A USL-2 level professional league could be financially and culturally successful with teams concentrated in the Pacific Northwest. It would be great to watch up-and-coming players perform in our own backyard. And the concentration of close rivals would make it a fun league to follow. One negative is that the teams would have to transition away from using college players because of NCAA rules. A positive is that the schedule could be lengthened compared to a PDL schedule which has to end in the summer.

2. Artesian

Artesian New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Evergreen State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds enticing, but there is no way that would be financially viable.

3. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    It is the Spokane Spiders now:-/

But yeah. Not a bad idea.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to happen with the Spiders unless they get back into Spokane. The problems with the turf in Joe Albi have been resolved, so the team could technically move back there. That being said, Spokane hasn't been the biggest supporters of their PDL teams and I'm not sure if that would change just because the team moves up to USL2

5. Artesian

Artesian New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Evergreen State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was really getting at. It'd be wonderful to have that competition and possible pipeline to better player development, but most, if not all of these cities just don't have the fan base to support a truly pro team. I'd love to be wrong though!:)

6. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL-2 teams currently average about 500/game over a 20-game season.

Kitsap is already pro. Kitsap Pumas and Seattle Wolves both want to move up. Tacoma Tide has kind of intimated similarly. Timbers and Whitecaps reserve teams will have an MLS team backing them. I think Victoria is going to be a pro team, as well. That leaves question marks for Abbotsford, Yakima, Spokane, and Salem.

7. Kevy Metal

Kevy Metal New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bright, this idea sounds great! Now go put it into motion.:)