Idea: MLS Youth Academy in Jamaica

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by FlipsLikeAPancake, Jan 18, 2014.

1. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about posting this is Youth & Development, but since it's an idea for a change I figured it was better off here.

MLS has been stepping up its scouting of the Caribbean, with a Caribbean combine looking likely to become an annual event before the draft. And this week in the MLS Superdraft, 3 of the top 8 picks were Jamaicans.

Then I read this article:
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/Let-s-strengthen-the-base-of-Jamaica-s-football_15809960

Despite producing numerous MLS players, it seems like Jamaica is sorely lacking in quality youth development. They rely on high schools and semi-pro clubs, and only some of their top prospects end up being able to come to US colleges.

So my random idea is this: MLS partner with the Jamaican Football Federation to create a "Bradenton" style program for the island's most talented youngsters.

Since cost of living is much lower in Jamaica, it would probably be cheaper to do this than in the United States. I also think the league would get a lot of bang for its buck. The Jamaicans in MLS are very athletic but don't often have the best technical skills. Having a national academy could really help their players become better assets. And if the JFF were interested in the idea (which I think they should as it would really help their program), they could share costs, making it even more economically viable.

Obviously foreign poaching of top players could be an issue, but MLS could work to sign as many of them to youth contracts as possible (which isn't practical in the US due to child labor laws and the desire to preserve college eligibility).

The MLS side of costs could be shared league wide, with players allocated either in the Superdraft, weighted lottery or allocation order.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players can't move internationally until they're 18 under FIFA rules, so it would have to be set up to handle that.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS buys the Jamaican league. Problem solved.

billf and bunge repped this.
  4. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, but if MLS set up a local partner that signed players to local contracts pre-18, it could then transfer them to MLS when they were 18. Or it could just focus on signing 18 year olds, but then once again poaching becomes an issue.

5. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sounds like a good idea in theory, the Caribbean has always seemed like a well of untapped talent.

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I like the idea. However, I don't think that MLS could open an academy without running afoul of some FIFA rule or just being open to the accusation of abusing it's position. What they could do, however, is to have a partnership with the Jamaican Fed with well though out terms and limitations.

7. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would it be a problem with FIFA? Lots of international clubs seem to have affiliated academies in the United States (though those seem more branding exercises than true attempts to develop first team players). Regardless, it illustrates that it's not illegal to have a foreign team/league have a development academy in another country.

And if Dortmund can sign Junior Flores as a minor, have him fly in for training sessions but not officially join the club until he turns 18, what would stop MLS from doing the same thing?

8. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure there are many clubs with academies all over the World. I'm not exactly sure what rule you're referring to.

btw, I would love to see the Canadian response to this if it went through.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

10. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There really needs to be a academy open to all CFU youngsters. There are lots of good players who don't live in Jamaica. There has to be much better scouting in the Caribbean.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some islands have so few people that having an academy there couldn't be profitable. Maybe have academies or tryouts in different parts of the Caribbean that are open to people from any Caribbean country. How many Caribbean countries have ever produced an MLS All-Star?

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12 of the 18 ASG rosters are on Wikipedia, I count 13 Caribbeans in my quick glance. So an average of 1 per year, with the numbers growing more recently. Country wise we've got T&T, Jamaica, Grenada, and Cuba.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cuba is Alonso and maybe once for Galindo. Obviously MLS ain't putting an academy in Cuba. Grenada is obviously multiple appearances for Shalrie Joseph, who grew up in New York and went to St. Johns.

Point being, that 13 doesn't really correlate to what is under discussion here. Or if it does, it doesn't correlate in a simple way.

14. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it would be better for each team to start its own academies. If I
    were to choose for the Galaxy it would be T&T, Puerto Rico, Martinique and Suriname

15. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    MLS academies are underfunded now. Why on earth would they spend money on a Jamaican academy ?