Idea: general info thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Kevin in Louisiana, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I was thinking that it might be useful to have a sticky thread in which some useful information could be collected in one place. There are a lot of things that come up again and again and it might be useful to have them collected in one place (similr to the YA links thread). This would not deal with specific players, it would just provide general information.

For example:

--FIFA rules on cap-ties, international transfers, transfer windows, etc.

--citizenship laws (at least for the US, maybe for other countries too, if feasible)

--player restrictions in other countries (UK work permits, non-EU player limits)

--a brief list/explanation of the league pyramids in various countries

--links to websites concerning the above information

--tips/tutorial for those doing research on Yanks Abroad

I know some of the stuff can get complicated (wading through legalese on citizenship laws and the like), but it would be nice to have a clear, concise explanation on a lot of the rules we keep dealing with again and again.

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions? Criticisms?

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    There is actually a thread buried here with a request for a FAQ thread. I've been meaning to attempt to add the FAQ info to the YA Links sticky but just haven't had a chance.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's a good idea. Would be nice to get all this info collected somewhere. WOuld it be possible to gather it on a thread, then collect it and make it part of a document that somebody hosts on their site? Long threads with lots of info can be difficult to track -- see the "Son of..." thread for an example.

4. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I think it would be better to make it a locked and stickied thread, edited by mods when changes warrant. It wouldn't be the sort of thing that changes frequently. It would be mostly set, only needing editing when FIFA or a country change their rules (which admittedly, can be pretty frequent) or other changes occur. We could collect the necessary info on this thread and then compile it into one post. Ideally it wouldn't be the sort of thing where somebody would need to ask a question in the thread to understand what the rules are--everything would be laid out clearly.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    See the YA Links thread or USN&A schedule thread for examples of how I think it should be handled. People post links or updates, and I'll update the first post in the thread.