Idea for Philly

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by North Star, Nov 14, 2002.

1. North Star

North Star Member

Feb 29, 2000
    NRH, TX
    How about Philly build a new stadium on or near the Temple campus? The stadium would seat 30,000-40,000. It would be home of Temple football, a potential MLS and MLL team, and the Charge. Is Temple even committed to building a new on-campus stadium period?

2. Mr. Knowledge

Mr. Knowledge New Member

May 10, 2001
    Baltimore
    Temple is not really the part of town where I would go choose to watch a match in Philly. With the state of Temple football, I can't see them investing millions into a new stadium.

If I'm the Philadelphia Charge I much rather stay and play at Villanova (Main Line-closer and more convienent to the soccer mom's and families) then play in the sketchy part of town.

I really hope that Philly gets an MLS team in the near future. My gut feeling is that, the only hope is some arrangement with Eagles ownership. Trying to build stadiums for the Phils and the Eagles was dam* near impossible b/c of the the unions and who knows what else, let alone a stadium for a MLS team.

3. Supernaut

Supernaut Member

Feb 28, 1999
    Hop, Vinland
    Club:
    Tromso IL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the mid 90's, Temple actually was planning to build a 25K stadium in North Philadelphia, but nothing came of it. An MLS team would have been a great tenant for this facility, and I was very disappointed when the stadium project fell through.

Interestingly at that time as well, Ed Rendell (the then ueber-mayor of Philadelphia) has stated that he made it very clear to MLS HQ that he would block any effort by MLS to build an SSS in Philadelphia.

This was during the period that the WUSA was launched, and Comcast (operator of the Charge) briefly secured the rights from MLS to operate an MLS expansion franchise in Philadelphia. Comcast reportedly explored building an SSS for the Charge/new MLS franchise. Metromedia (former operators of the MetroStars) also explored founding an MLS expansion club in Philadelphia.

Rendell's opposition to MLS stemmed from his outspoken advocacy for building new stadia for the Eagles and Phillies. Part of the justification for a new Eagles stadium was that it would also be used to host soccer. Indeed, the Eagles organization explored buying an A-League franchise at one point, but this also never materialized.

It now appears that Jeff Lurie and the Eagles are considering an MLS expansion team that will play in the new stadium that will open for business next year. I am sure Jeff is taking counsel from Lamar Hunt and Bob Kraft.

4. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Interesting. Where did you get your information from?

It seems to me that the following problem exists. I am pretty sure that MLS wants to expand Villanova Stadium and put a team there, for its size, its suburban soccer-mom accessibility and its proximity to SEPTA. However, if Lurie really does have the money, he'll try to put the team in the Eagles stadium which 1) might not be FIFA regulations and 2) is obviously way too bit.

There is also the slight problem of whether Philadelphia's soccer population can really be convinced to support MLS. I haven't been here all that long (as you might notice), and I've only been to Dark Horse once, but the impression that I get is that it won't be an easy sell.

I hope I'm wrong, and I really hope that I'm wrong by the time I graduate.

5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS / WUSA agreement

I think that the whole look at Villinova by MLS was with the thought that the Freedom/Comcast would pick up a MLS franchise. So from that possiblity it would only natural to expand their current stadium situation.

6. famethrowwa

famethrowwa New Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Yardley, PA
    I sincerly hope that any MLS Team from Philly ends up in Eagles Stadium, not in Villanova Stadium.

For those unfamiliar, the Vilanova Stadium is covered in artificial turf.. not even the good stuff.. and it looks and feels like a high school atheltic field.

Also, A huge contingency of the fans of Philly sport teams live in South and Central Jersey... A demographic that can't be ignored... To get out to Villanova you have to take the dreaded Schukyl (sp?) which is a miserable stretch of road to drive down any time or day of the week.... or take the blue route which is good for those who live pretty far south in jersey. Public transportation can dump people from all over the place right by the eagles new stadium.

Finally, If you look at the stats provided on the Eagles website about the new stadium... it clearly states that the Grass field has been sized to allow for international soccer. Plus, for a big stadium, i would say its design is a lot more intimate than the Big Razor or any of the other current MLS/NFL shared venues.

You can't judge support for an MLS team from Dark Horse attendance. (used to be Dickins Inn for those familiar) I know its a soccer friendly bar, but they mostly show European Football and cater to their mostly European Football watching audience.. And there have been many a discussion on these boards about how they view the MLS.. Besides, I remember reading awhile back that ratings for MLS and US Soccer matches on television were very high for the philly area..

And really.. Philly needs a team just so we can Boo the Metros and DC....

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly fans being what they are, you'll probably spend more time booing yourselves.

8. famethrowwa

famethrowwa New Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Yardley, PA
    see.. the rivalry has started already and we don't even have a team yet..

being as aquainted as you seem to be with philly fans, you should know that we take such comments as a compliment...

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acquainted with Philly fans as I am, I'm surprised one of you can even spell the word "compliment".

Well done. You get a cookie.

10. John T

John T New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    South Jersey
    First and foremost,
    Um...yeah, that's very likely, but most likely only if they're losing. That hardly makes us worse than any other fans. I'd bet quite a bit the ESC weren't giving the Metros a standing ovation after each of the final games of the season, for example.

Moving on...

http://villanova.ocsn.com/facilities/nova-facilities-stadium.html

The biggest flaw with expanding Villanova Stadium is where are they going to expand? Keeping in mind the running track surrounding the field, any seats put on the end zones will be at least 20 yards away with to start, possibly further.

Add to it that the field barely meets FIFA regulations, being a typical college football field. We've see what happens when MLS plays on a field that size. The league, players and fans can't say goodbye to Naperville quickly enough. Making the field bigger most likely isn't an option, mainly because of the aforementioned track.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/store/facilities/facilities2.asp?id=12

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/store/facilities/facilities2.asp?id=10

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/store/facilities/facilities2.asp?id=9

As for LLF, it's going to measure 270' x 424', which is more than enough for any soccer field. Yes, it's way too big, but I'd rather have the Philly team play there and have a quality game then see the players wedged into Villanova Stadium.

I agree, going to Dark Horse,Fadó Irish Pub or any other establishment that shows European club matches will give the impression that MLS will have a tough time.

However, during the World Cup, the place was just as packed for the USA matches than for the England, Ireland or any other matches. During the match against Germany, the bar we were in was packed. Will all of those people go to MLS games if they come to Philly? Probably not, but I'm willing to bet those people would be replaced by at least as many, if not more, people who couldn't make it to Dark Horse at 6:30 a.m.

11. famethrowwa

famethrowwa New Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Yardley, PA
    Ouch!!.... That kitten's got claws....

12. North Star

North Star Member

Feb 29, 2000
    NRH, TX
    I'm not from Philly. I never been to Philly. Is the Temple area a bad part of town? It was just an idea. Is Temple going to drop football? Didn't they just build a practice football facility on campus?

13. firstandsecond

firstandsecond New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    philadelphia/london
    id bet the ranch that.. if anything was to happen..
    a patnership between a MLS team and the eagles would be it..
    the philly club would more than likely be run like the REV's as i assume jeffrey lurie would be laying the money down for it..
    they will play in the new eagles stadium..
    and maybe after 5 -7 years of really good support .. there might be talk of a SSS..
    thats about the jist of it..

14. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Temple is a perfectly quaint part of town.

If you're comparing it to Beruit in the 80's.

Temple has been throwing money into it's football program/toilet for at least the last 20 years in an effort to make it a power.

The best bet for Philadelphia MLS is to put it in the Eagles new stadium. It's too big for MLS, but at least it will be accessilble (such as it is) to the suburban PA, and SJ crowd.

15. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    Re: Re: Idea for Philly

Isn't this their last year in the Big East also?

16. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It sucks, but it's not THAT bad. Probably not the place for a SSS, though.

17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Temple is not in a nice part of town at all. It's actually a pretty scary place for most suburbanites and there is no way to get 20,000 people there without serioud traffic problems. Now there is a lot in that area that could be demolished, but there is no room for a football stadium either.

Temple used to have a stadium in the far north of the city, way away from the campus, that could have been renovated. However, it was demolished. I think the city killed any attempt at a Temple stadium to help fill dates in the, at the time proposed, Eagles stadium.

I think the plan is to have Temple play at LFF. This would hurt a Philly MLS team playing there when it comes to scheduling as I'm sure Temple would get to pick it's dates before MLS.

However, Temple was voted out of the Big East Football Conference starting in 2004, so who knows what will happen. Part of the problem with the Big East was that Temple had no control over dates at the Vet with baseball and the Eagles. Theoretically, this is solved at LFF, but an MLS team would surely draw more than Temple football.

There is absolutely no will in Philly for another stadium. It'll have to be LFF for MLS and we'd have to hope Lurie is involved. Villianova is not an acceptable option considering that it would look a lot like Naperville. They have the new turf there, but it's also got football lines year round.

I bet an ambitious person with Anshultz-type money could get a stadium financed in Camden, NJ though. There's a lot of development there right across the river from Philly with a minor league baseball stadium, an aquarium, a new luxury apartment complex, and the battleship NJ museum.

That's a pipe dream though.

18. Nothus

Nothus New Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Funny you should mention this. There was an idea about a year ago for a team in Trenton named Union FC. The plan called for a training facility and youth fields in addition to a roofed stadium within walking distance of a commuter-train station.

Unfortunately, everyone seemed to be against it. The MetroStars management invoked their 75 mile exclusivity clause (or something to that effect), and the Philly fans here complained endlessly about having to cross the river and it not being in downtown Philly. I'm not sure what exactly killed it, other BS members are more knowledgeable than me.

In other words: Screw Philly. They had their chance with Union FC. Yet another MLS team playing in an empty stadium on plastic grass painted with gridball lines is not good for the game or the league.