I'd rather be on BS than watch the American Football final.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Bradman, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My bad. Canada has.

2. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    there you go. in addition to soccer i watch boxing and a passing interest in horse racing and that's pretty much it.

i thought you were implying that since i don't like watching baseball, basketball, hockey nor American football then i wasn't a sports fan. my bad.

i am fascinated by the traditions and event of the Preakness and Kentucky Derby. hope to attend one day and experience the full 'Americana' spectacle of it.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been doing that for a couple of years at least. This wasn't the first time I've seen it.

Actually I don't know of another country in the world that has football by NFL rules. You've got Canadian (significant differences including the size of the field) but other than that nothing I can think of.

4. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the SB. Disappointed my Steelers didn't win, but it was a good game. Still prefer soccer though. All of the commercial breaks really get to a guy.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Although some 400 people with Super Bowl tickets (at $800/ticket :rolleyes:) got screwed because their seats didn't exist. :D

AFAIK, the NHL champs are rarely (never?) referred to as "World champs".

That shows that the "world" label isn't a quality thing, its an American thing. It's also used in other contexts, like "The Yankees have more world championships than any other professional sports team in the world"; "Rose Bowl is the granddaddy of them all"; etc.

6. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    67-68 minutes for soccer from one source;
    http://ussoccernumbers.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/average-actual-playing-time/

Learn to enjoy those commercials.

7. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One good thing about the Super Bowl?

Winning the office pool halftime numbers and getting enough payout for my final ST payment.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That wouldn't be a fair comparison either unless you count the same way for NFL (e.g. how much action is inside the 33 yard-line?). 11 minutes would probably shrink to about 3-4 minutes then. :D

Although that wouldn't make sense because in both sports a big play can start from anywhere really.

9. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've seen fans of every sport complain about other sports. You people believe that soccer fans are the only fans who loudly mock others, or attempt to denigrate other sports.

And, it was the claim- That people do not like soccer , because of arrogant fans. No, people don't like soccer because to them its boring, and its just a bunch of men chasing a ball, and the players dive. That's what I am always told.

I do realize that in these MLS forums, being a perpetual victim to mythologically evil Euro snobs is promoted and latched on to almost as much as the claims that pro/reg will make the sport successful, or that MLS and it's draft is somehow anti-soccer. It could be worse, at least there are 3-4 dead horses to beat on.

It's kinda funny ,to be honest. You guys are mad at those skinny jeans wearing hipsters. Cool, so you, like non-soccer fans apparently, somehow blame soccer.

Last week, I had a discussion about the O's with a person who only like the Ravens. He hated baseball, and claimed it wasn't a sport. Therefore, he must be a soccer fan. Wow, this is fun.

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can always go back home to your mudhut.

11. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    LOL!

still wouldn't watch American football.

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great. No one cares.

13. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    yawn, not interested.....

back to the topic, i've always had questioned the worldwide ratings # the NFL provides. it gives # of countries and languages that the SB is broadcast to, but never solid viewing #s or what time these games are shown and whether or not its just degenerate gamblers in Indonesia that are tuned in.....anyone have a link to a good article that talks of worldwide #s.

14. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone actually claimed or believes that. But in my experience, soccer-only "purists" who badmouth other sports tend to be (1) much more common, and (2) much more obnoxious than other vocal people who don't like baseball, or hockey, or American football. No, I can't quantify that, it's just my experience.

That's what people will say, sure. The fact remains, what goes into building those perceptions--"boring," especially--is their experience around soccer, including their experience with its fans and with the soccer media.

It may also be a regional thing. Philadelphia soccer fans that I've met for the most part are also Eagles and Flyers and Phillies fans. San Jose when I lived there had a lot more people in the fan base that turned their nose up at American sports (and often at MLS as well).

15. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched. So did every yank I know .

16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'd rather be on BS than watch "The "Price is Right"

It's true. I just had no idea that anyone else would be interested. But since there is already this thread listing someones opinion of being on Big Soccer vs watching something on TV, someone must be interested in my opinion of BigSoccer vs game shows.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh yes, that has happened. It used to happen more in the NASL era, because the boosters of that league used to express publicly a bravado about soccer coming in and displacing established American sports. At that level of obnoxiousness, it was bound to turn a lot of previously tabula rasa people off.

Now, chances are, "are all football fans stupid or something?" isn't something most soccer fans are likely to say to football fans in real life, just because in real life as opposed to the internet most people don't like coming off as jerks. It's just something that gets said in an internet forum where you think you might get away with having a bad impulse indulged.

Speaking of projection, I don't think anybody had used that term in this thread until you did. Mr. Warmth likes to fight obnoxiousness with obnoxiousness, which almost never works, even when he's right (and when he's wrong it has the habit of making him wrong in a worse way). But he's not inventing it.

Nowadays, more people's beef with soccer originates with a soccer fan than will put it that way. Every time you hear the phrase "I've heard for 30 years how soccer was going to be the next big thing" you can hearken back to this era, because soccer hasn't really advertised itself that way for 25 of those alleged '30 years.'

You can be obnoxious or you can be open-minded about almost any personal preference--all it does is involve you assumptions about what type of person the 'other fan' must be to hold their opinion. If you assume it's because they are stupid or inferior sports fans, you've gone off. (That's what makes the real 'Eurosnob'--the assumption that I, because I'm about three or four times as likely to watch an MLS game, must be an inferior soccer fan or just too stupid a fan to tell the obvious difference in quality.) If you assume that every cultural practice of American sports or European ones is better, you've gone off as well.

By throwing everything under the same 'complain' blanket, you're using a thin similarity to mask obvious differences. Soccer, and its fans, are far, far more likely to get, or to give, an unsolicited 3,000-word rant than any 'traditional US sport' is by the fans of other traditional sports. When basketball fans don't like hockey or vice-versa, they tend to just ignore it. Sure, if you ask them about the other sport, they may toss off a line or two that is vaguely derogatory, but it's not the same thing. 99% of the time, when a fan of some of the big 4 says they don't care about another one, they mean only that they don't care. Not that they begrudge it the stature that it has.

18. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    In my experience, there are more 'soccer sucks' people who are fans of other sports.

19. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Per capita?

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I wonder how they even estimate the # of people watching in the USA. Considering a lot of folks go to Super Bowl parties so their TVs at home won't be on but they might still be watching. And just cuz you're at a SB party doesn't mean you're watching the match (most aren't).

How do they ballpark the viewer total?

21. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes if you count world population.

22. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Same thing for the World Cup or UECL final.

I think UECL final is viewed by more people than any other American sports final.

edit:
    Just gogled it http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01022...e-champions-league-final-tops-super-bowl.html

Well, this is kind of expected. No one outside of US really cares about NFL(maybe except Canada?). UECL is viewed world wide.

I wonder the viewership of Barcelona vs Real Madrid.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Okay, but how do they estimate those then? My experience has been that SB parties tend to range from about 6 to 30 people. If its a small gathering then everyone is watching the game. At bigger parties, pretty much nobody is watching the game (ie. wouldn't even be able to tell you the score).

My hypothesis is that SB ratings are overestimated by a good 50-100%.

24. Wazzu Gunner

Wazzu Gunner Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Ballard, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Rose Bowl is nicknamed the "Granddaddy of them all" because it is the oldest bowl game in the country.

25. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    11 minutes of actual action but tons of commercials.
    The chance is that they won't even catch much of those 11 minutes, but they get to watch some of the commercials, and that's what it matters when it comes to rating I guess.