I'd rather be on BS than watch the American Football final.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Bradman, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fillmont

fillmont Member

May 20, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the time.

2. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not welcome :mad:

3. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm not into football, but I was getting annoyed by some of the comments made by soccer fans on twitter about the game today.

4. Kam^

Kam^ Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Clutch City
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Liechtenstein
    who is to say you can't like both football and soccer?

i like both. i like football more, but i like soccer too. big deal. i'm not going to hate football to promote soccer.

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was very interesting to see the NFL learning from the soccer world. The whole fanfare trophy parade before the presentation is new and obviously influenced by the world standard.

On the other hand, Jordy Nelson's 15 yard penalty for his best C. Ronaldo goal celebration impression still means the NFL has a way to go.

6. SteamPunkr

SteamPunkr New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    MLS should of had a commercial during the Super Bowl. A great way to reach a ton of potential fans. Especially since there won't be another NFL game till 2012.

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I watched the superbowl for like 10 or 15 seconds

8. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't believe you.

9. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not what I'm saying. People claim that because a soccer fan says something negative about their favorite sport, that people , by proxy, will hate
    soccer.

Sports fans are all the same, and some will attack other sports. I've never heard a single soccer fan state any of the following, "I hate Football because of NFL fans, and will never watch again", "Or Basketball fans are idiots, therefore I will not watch the sport" "Hockey fans suck, so therefore I hate hockey".

If none of you have ever heard any of the other big four sports fans talk crap about the other sports, especially Soccer, then you guys live in Europe.

It only happens in the imagination of BS posters. They've made it into a huge myth that they must perpetuate, because they are angry some 12 year old made fun of their NFL team.

10. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They started doing that about 5 Super Bowls ago.

11. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have had the platform out there. What was new was the trumpet fanfare and the walk in like it was the Stanley Cup/World Cup

12. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Many actually don't like the sport because of its fans here. I've heard comments saying the fans are too dorky and nerdy.

13. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever seen a soccer fan loudly complain during a football game about how boring it is and how the name doesn't make sense and on and on until you want to strangle them? It's enough to make me hate soccer sometimes, and I was a season ticket holder in 1996 and still am today.

Someone might not say, "I hate soccer because of the fans." But every time an actual sports fans runs into a socially inept hipster egomaniac who has latched onto soccer because it gives him an outlet to act superior to the hoi polloi who like more popular sports, it's going to make the actual sports fan less likely to give soccer a chance. And it's going to reinforce any negative stereotypes the sports fan already has about it.

This kind of holier-than-thou soccer fan is thankfully a lot less common than it was in 1995. My guess is most of them have moved on to other, even less mainstream sports. (Lacrosse? Cricket? Curling?) But a good number of them are still out there, doing damage to the sport's image and mostly not following MLS teams because they don't have promotion and relegation, or DC United isn't as good as Barcelona, or whatever the hell the excuse of the minute is.

Maybe they're not the sole reason any specific individual doesn't like soccer, just as the fans aren't the sole reason I dislike the Oakland Raiders and the Boston Red Sox. But they sure as hell don't help.

14. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    11 Minutes of actual action in american-football.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

How long last night's game lasted? 4 hours? I hope you all enjoyed all those commercials, half time show, and talking by the commentators.

15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i was on BS instead of watching the SB.

i don't understand why soccer fans in this country have to be lambs when it comes to defending this sport. if an American football fan makes a crack about soccer then i have a right to a come back. some of us can give as good as we get.

the most annoying thing to me is that the NBA, MLB and the NFL call their respective winners WORLD champions. LOL!

16. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except you can't find a football team, a basketball team, or a baseball team that could beat an NFL team, an NBA team or an MLB team

17. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure there's a lot of filler, but the comparison is a little bit unfair.

The 11 minute number is snap-to-whistle, counting all of the time the ball is live. By the same type of measure, IIRC, an average soccer game takes up about 60-70 minutes of a two-hour broadcast block, with about 20-30 minutes of clock time spent on throwins, setting up free kicks, goal celebrations, injuries, keepers carrying the ball around or setting up goal kicks, substitutions, and so on. Can't recall where I saw that number, though.

Regardless, it's silly to pretend that, because in football there's a whistle to end the play and in soccer there's not, that a backpass to the goalkeeper or a d-mid holding the ball and waiting for a pass is any more thrilling than, say, a quarterback using a hard count to draw a penalty.

A better comparison might be: for how many minutes of a typical soccer game is the ball in play in the offensive half, or the offensive third? My guess is, that's be a smaller number than you might expect.

It's also worth noting that my guess would be, by the "eleven minute" standard, a game of baseball would have the ball in play even less than a football game. It doesn't mean it's a better or worse sport, or that the time in between is a flaw in the game. It just means it's a different kind of sport that you can enjoy in a different way.

18. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There's no american-football team. It's like Sumo-wrestling in Japan.
    No one else does it.

19. fillmont

fillmont Member

May 20, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well obviously personal experience varies, but just because you don't believe doesn't make it untrue.

20. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are other football teams in the world, but none that could compete. Thus, world champions.

Same goes for MLB, NBA, NHL. There are other leagues, but none that can compete.

21. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being offensive about a different sport isn't "defending" soccer. If anything, it's what turns off sports fans to soccer.

Every fan has some sports they like more than others. I like hockey more than basketball, for instance. But if someone else doesn't like hockey, I don't feel compelled to put down basketball. And if there's a particularly interesting basketball game, I'll watch and appreciate it for what it is. Just like I do with Olympic sports I don't usually watch on a week-to-week basis.

In other words, if you like soccer more than you like football, you're a normal sports fan with normal sports fan preferences, and being a dick about it seems kind of pointless. If you like soccer and hate all other sports, you're probably not a sports fan at all.

I wouldn't be so sure about baseball. In a seven-game series between the MLB champion and the Japanese champion, I certainly don't think it'd be a four-game sweep every time, and I doubt the MLB team would win every year.

22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    then call it a national champsionship like the NCAA does.

btw of the big 4 North american sports, i think there are pro hockey teams and baseball teams in other countries that can US teams a good challenge. basketball on a NT level has proven there are set # of countries that can beat the US. American football isn't just played in enough countries at a high concentration level by the appropiate populace to be considered a world sport.

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    or it can just make me an immigrant (which i am). :D

24. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know immigrants who love soccer and don't know much about other sports. But I've never really met many of those, even. Most big soccer fans I know from other countries are at least passingly interested in rugby, cricket, hockey, F1, horse racing, darts, boxing, baseball, or something.

Many of them are puzzled and turned off by American football, just as many Americans are puzzled and turned off by cricket. But how many countries are there where soccer is really the ONLY sport? I'm genuinely curious.

25. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Baseball is slightly better = 14 minutes.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/patt-m...s-americas-pastime14-minutes-of-action-in-an/

I find middle field battle and short-passing works enjoyable in soccer.