Iceland vs. the rest of the world

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess Who’s Emerging From the Crisis?

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/guess-whos-emerging-from-the-crisis/

and a previous blog from Krugman...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/opinion/krugman-the-path-not-taken.html

You all know that I have fundamental differences of opinion with Paul Krugman and it's actually amazing to see him vindicate the opinion that me and other anti corporatists held in 2008/9.

This message is deadly to the duopoly

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Krugman has crushed it since 2008. Called out Ryan on inflation. He won, Ryan lost. Called out Paulson on economic strength, ditto. Called out Bill Gross last year on Treasury yields, ditto. Been consistently correct on the Euro, been consistently correct in predicting that austerity measures in Europe would hamper growth and would spark a backlash by voters.

People carp at him because they have pre-existing views that disagree with Krugman's, and they are pissed that he's been correct and they are not. In defiance, they double down on being wrong. Hell, Paul Ryan's been wrong about inflation his entire adult life, and that doesn't change his views. No exaggeration there by the way. Ryan turned 18 in 1988, shortly thereafter came under the influence of a college professor who convinced him about the need for hard money and that inflation would be rising due to the Fed being too lenient, and ever since then he's been expecting inflation that hasn't arrived.

Me, I don't care. My self worth isn't defined by whether I can predict macroeconomic events, or whether Keynes is a useful economic guide, or any of that stuff. I stand on the sidelines and watch the discussions. And what I see is Krugman making monkeys out of ideologues who dislike him for being too "partisan." Absolute chumps they look.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know Matt, for all your posturing on letting corporations fail, you also say that the government should be involved in people's lives. Well, in Iceland, they are. What do you think a social safety net means?

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to think that you would rater assume what I believe than actually reading my posts. I've always advocated for a safety net to mitigate against the unlucky lottery.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iceland and Ireland (bailed banks out) will make interesting economy case studies.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall you saying that, and without comment above, I was going on the basis of you general belief in lack of government interference.

But, thank you for making that clear. Curious, do you happen to know what Iceland's safety net currently is versus what it was?

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not to say that I'm smarter than Krugman, but back in 2008 I had this conversation with a co-worker and my take on the whole financial crisis was to bail out the homeowners by condonning part of the debt or making the government owner of a percentage of the loans and charge no interest for 5 years or so...

I knew better because something similar happened in my country of origin and when the banks were bailed out, they acted in pretty much the same way as American banksters did.