IC5: Will Eddie do the Numa Numa song for us?

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by yasik19, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I mean Boise gets passed over by bigger conferences because of their lack of success outside of football, as college football is decided now, it is a joke of sport. Fun to watch, love the atmospheres, schools, wide variety of styles etc. But can't put a lot of stock in anything meaningful.

2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Agreed. Truth is no-one knows what it would be like to have Boise State or TCU in a power conference as all we have to go on (with regards to strong opponents) are early games in the schedule or bowl games. In both cases they have plenty of opportunity to game plan and they definitely have the talent. Whether they would go undefeated I doubt, but certainly playing big boy teams week in, week out would have them drop a couple. They would certainly suffer way more injuries which oddly, few people talk about, but is crucial to how late games are played.

This entire argument to me is something that has been debated in the UK for ages (much longer than the BSU discussion) as follows:

How would Rangers and Celtic fare in the Premiership?

They play garbage week in week out except against each other and only have infrequent European games against English teams which is no help as a benchmark. Some swear blind with their stadiums that they would be top 10, even pushing top 5 whereas others think they'd be lucky to stay up for extended periods.

And just like Boise State, I don't really know how either would work out but suspect it would be somwhere in the middle (BSU/TCU wouldn't go undefeated, but would be relevant and still in the top 10, Rangers/Celtic wouldn't threaten for the title but would be an upper mid table team).

As for Walter's comments about it being fairly farcical, totally agree and would take it further when talking about bowls in general. They were saying on College GameDay (hard to watch as I hate shouty presentation in the ESPN style, though I like their analysis and suck it up) that they may even let in 5-7 teams which is akin to giving all of the kids a trophy for soccer tournaments!!

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Growing up I watched ESPN 24/7, now I can't stand it.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    +1

although its fun to play the ESPN drinking game

take a shot everytime they say Lebron James, Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter or Brett Farve

5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not even Oliver Reed in his prime could have stood that game for long. It's second only to the Withnail and I 'experience'.

6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Woah, woah, woah.

[​IMG]

College Gameday is the most anti-ESPN show that ESPN has. It's legit. They aren't making wild opinions just for ratings. I love College Gameday. I hate when Chelsea conflicts with it.

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yelling, so much yelling, in that sense, it's just like the others. Lee Corso is in the annoying bracket with Dickie V, Chris Berman, Kornheiser and the like.

8. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I wouldnt mind it if they actually offered some decent analysis, etc., but even now so many of these commentators and analysts are nothing but talking heads spouting their opinions.

I forget where I saw it, but there was a forum once discussing the styles of news reporting and one of the points made was that modern journalists and commentators now have become more opinionated and biased as they want to draw an audience based on controversy to compete against the blogs and message boards where many fans being brought in by unfiltered discussion.

Perhaps that is part of the reason but it really is a shame how poor some of the shows have become. I used to enjoy the Colllege Football analysis until Slyvester the Cat (aka Lou Holtz) picked Florida (good choice at the time) to play Notre fecking Dame in the National Title Game last season.

Fecking comical and that was the bascially the last time I bothered watching.

9. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lou Holtz's part is coming up next, get the tarps for the cameras!

10. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    :D

just dont understand why idiots continue to get pushed to the forefront why those who actually offer good insight are not included

I dont mind a little bit of a bias- another fun drinking game is to take a shot everytime Jessie Palmer says "SEC speed" (you will pissed by the end of the first quarter) or for the baseball fans- take a shot everytime Joe Morgan reminds us that no one is every as good as the members of the 1970s reds

11. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't forget gimmicks. Just like any ESPN show there has to be a gimmick (enter stage right, Mr Corso once more).

The analysis on this show is a bit better, but it is instantly recognizable as an ESPN show. 3-4 stuffed suits around a desk talking loudly over highlights.

Having said all that, I do agree with Eddie that this is about the best show on the network (head and shoulders above Around the Horn and its ilk).

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But I love that it's on campus. It's serious without being too serious. It's a party. I love that Herbstreit won't predict games he is working. It adds legitimacy.

There's rarely yelling for yelling's sake. Chris Fowler wouldn't allow that. This show is his baby and he takes it seriously. That's why you don't see Lou Holtz on the show. That's why you don't see Skip Bayliss. I could go on.

Gameday straddles the line between fun and serious perfectly. I also don't put Corso in the Berman, Vitale, etc mode. Corse brings something to the table. He backs up his opinions with facts and he's not just spewing off the company line. That's another thing I love about Gameday; unlike most ESPN shows, they aren't afraid to go against the company line, take a stand and call someone or something out when they need to.

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Not so fast my friend?" He has a stupid one liner like the rest of them, just wants to hear is own voice.

And once Nick Lachey was on there, I was done.

14. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Re: commentators. I just miss switching to ABC on Monday night to hear Al Michaels, Gifford and Dierdorf. Then proceed to reenact plays on my living room floor. Then losing interest in the game and turning on Madden 93. Then running back out to see Steve Young win it.

I'm off to London tomorrow. Can't wait to watch McEachran in action. Send a telegram if you see me on camera.

15. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    is that Mel Brooks?

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving everyone....

17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What is she thinking?????

Apple wallpaper!!!!! Crazy.

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That looks like an awful Photoshop to me.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Certainly it's been airbrushed to hell.

21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Andy "Naughtius" here, yeah,

[ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/194731/saturday-night-live-visiting-the-queen"]Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Visiting the Queen@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/gBoAN8c52L9bslFggLcSdg@@AMEPARAM@@gBoAN8c52L9bslFggLcSdg[/ame]

22. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I used to love watching here a few years back, and then she became famous and turned into a stuck up bitch.

Fecking whore.

23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Belgium rocked. The beer is amazing.

24. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome back yasik, not sure if I did when it happened, but congrats on the WS, Im sure you are still basking in it.

The baseball offseason is driving me crazy. Redsox lose Viktor, probably because we bought some shitty midtable English Football Team.

Now they say theyre trying to get one of Carl Crawford or Werth, and bring Beltre back. But I know it is BS we'll end up moving Jed Lowrie(smooth hitting young SS) to 3rd and continue on with Scuterrible at short, and end up playing another rookie in Left. Here's an idea, you're int he NYY's division, spend some money.

25. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    if you land Crawford then wow- I really, really rate him and can only think how much he would have been fellated by the National Media had he been playing in a larger market