IC4: If we make it to IC5 Eddie will do the Numa Numa song for us

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    little different though dont you think. I would never compare the passion of football with the passion of college football- although imo its one of the few American sports which actually comes close to understanding the rivalry and passion of football. JT missed the vital penalty after a lenghty game. I just dont see Timmy Tears being the same- although of course I really dont like him very much. Nothing wrong with disliking Tebow, although personally I think I hate the media love fest around him and noticed how quickly they turned on "Superman" after the Alabama game. Fecking douchebags.

I still laugh at those sports writers who think Notre Dame is still relevant. Lets face it if it wasnt for their NBC contract and the fact that they are not in a Conference- no one would give a shit. They just need to sack up, get into a conference and understand that they are an average team and move on with their life. The problem is that they have a massive contingent of idiots who still think they have a say on the National Stage. Need I remind everyone that Lou Holtz aka Slyvestor the slurring cat, picked ND to play FL in the National Title game this season- WTF!

2. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Look at you know our sports! You're the anti-BridgeMonkey!

It is incredible how delusional Notre Dame is. They love to talk about their history but do they realize that kids today can't tell the difference between Knute Rockne, Rudy Ruettiger or Raghib Ismael? Seriously, a 17 year old junior/senior only knows Notre Dame as a losing school. Sure they get to a BCS game now and again but soon as other schools recruit the big time kids they quickly point out that they always lose those games.

One thing, ONE thing I do give them credit for is that they haven't relented in their admissions. They don't recruit dummy jocks. You have to be able to make the cut in the classroom if you go to Notre Dame. I respect that as it's cost them a lot of athletes who see college football as nothing more than an NFL tryout.

I think in the next 3 years you'll see them or Pitt join the Big 10 permanently. Notre Dame loves to be an independent but there's a lot of benefit to a conference set up as you can automatically make it to a BCS game and it helps in recruiting.

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think that point about Terry being more passionate about his sport than Tebow can be justified, and it wasnt even the match I was referring to with Terry. Another point is Terry is a grown man and a professional, Tebow is just a college kid still.

Edit: Terry gets a shot at redemption in the CL every season, at that point in his career, for Tebow, that was it.

I really think Notre Dame needs to man up join the big ten, and that conference needs a title game, Pac10 as well.

4. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like Eddie's pont about Notre Dame. Too many kids go to these schools and its all football, and then they don't get drafted or they get hurt and they have no life skills and no real education. I wish all schools held their athlete's to high standards like they do. Unfortunately for Notre Dame, they probably lose quite a few recruits because of that fact.

5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gregg Easterbrook writes about this a lot in his TMQ columns.

6. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A couple of years ago, I was describing some soccer teams to a friend of mine. After I described Liverpool, the first thing out of his mouth was,

"So Liverpool are Notre Dame basically, cool."

I have a friend who tutors the Michigan State football players. She says that a lot of them really don't care about their academics and that's it annoying to deal with them.

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    College football really is a disgrace though. These kids don't want to go to college but they have to in order to make the NFL. Meanwhile the universities get rich off their work. God forbid McCoy had a career ending injury, Texas would just be able to walk away and say, "Thanks for 4 great years." Something needs to be done. The NFL needs to, has to, start some kind of a developmental league. I really think the trend of high school basketball players going to Europe is going to start soon. These kids have no incentive to go to college when they can go to Greece, Spain, etc and make a million for a season or two then get drafted. Brandon Jennings success is proven it's a successful way to go. These kids don't go to Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc with any intention of staying for more than one season. Soon as their season is over they drop out. If I was a parent of one of these students I would recommend they go to Europe, get life experience and money then go to the NBA. If there was a college football alternative I think more kids would do it. It's one reason why I can't love college sports more.

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kind of glad that my school doesn't have a football team.

*Cue nice asking if I go to Stalin Tech* :p

9. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, some of the numbers he puts up are pretty startling on that topic. I've noticed he tends to be a little selective about numbers and facts which is a little disappointing as most of the time his overall argument is pretty spot-on

10. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lobo and I bet on yesterday's Eagles game...as you can see I lost. I have to use this avatar and sig until the Cowboys are out of the playoffs.

11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ROFL at the sig, damn lobo you're harsh. :p

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I hate him.

13. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I do enjoy college football as I believe it does somewhat replicate the rivalry and passion of our football at times. I think Kaz sums up my dislike for Notre Dame with the Liverpool comparision, but for the life of me I dont see how a team who barely beats ranked teams (they have a horrendous record in their last 30 games against ranked teams something like 2-28) and lost something in the region of 11 straight bowl games gets any recognition. Lets face it if you took the basic outline of Notre Dame and removed their name- no one would vote for them in the polls.

I really hope for conference realignment as I dont believe a playoff is coming for at least another 5-10 years. I would form several 12 team Conferences with a Championship game- the numbers work out pretty close. A few teams would have to move and perhaps one conference (imo the WAC would be broken up) but I believe it would benefit the schools in the long run. Still a fan of the play offs though and I have yet to hear an argument of why they are not viable, an honest argument that is.

14. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Damn you both for making me root for the Cowboys to now make the Superbowl :mad:

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ******** that. I am hoping for a terrorist attack at their next home game...and I'm only half joking.

16. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Yessssss. Jason Repko is signed! This is our year!

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Where the ******** is the Numa Numa song?:mad:

18. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should start a new thread - long threads put a burden on the servers....