Ibrahimovic: "Onyewu? We were close to killing each other"

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    This comes from an article in La Gazzetta dello Sport that reveals parts of the forthcoming biography, 'I am Zlatan Ibrahimovc' (which you may have heard more about here).

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Squadre/Milan/07-11-2011/ibra-onyewu-che-rissa-803617534154.shtml

2. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff, someone needs to put Zlatan in his place.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    A visual aid:

[​IMG]

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Gooch>>>tae kwon do

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure the killing would have been in one direction only. I'm not one of those US fans who gets a vicarious stiffy from Onyewu's bulk, but c'mon, the guy is built like a brick shithouse.

7. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets not forget....

8. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    He said he's been in a few fights with teammates and they always ended up in friendships.

9. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think VDV and Zibra ever made up... :confused:

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    [​IMG]

"I'm gonna tear off your Swedish meatballs, then serve them to you with some broken rib! Got that, kung fool?!"

3 people repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fixed

2 people repped this.
  12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Repped.

13. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is nothing. Remember when he broke Jared Borgetti's masculinity, evaporated his sense of self worth, and took his soul with just his eye balls? And if the last friendly was any indication we just might have our Gooch back.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The difference between Borgetti and Zlatan is that Zlatan is/was not only a teammate but the highest paid one on the squad.

And this isn't some democracy - you don't start (and win) fights with your superstar.

Which is why Gooch has been sloughed off to another team and in a different league.

15. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Which is why Gooch has been sloughed off to another team and in a different league."

He wasn't good enough to play A squad for Milan. That is the REAL reason he was sloughed off

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    you're both right. He was good enough to ride the bench, but with the added dimension of having beaten the living $hit out of a 50mm asset the decision was pretty easy.

Zibra is a donkey.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when is Klinsy going to schedule a game against Sweden?

I want to see part deux.

Wonder how Brek feels about his teammate breaking the rib of his idol.:D

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brek Idolizes Ibra? It makes sense but I did not know it.

19. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Nice!

I do agree though that a fight with Zlatan didn't help Onyewu's AC Milan career.

20. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Well, it couldn't have helped. Owners don't particularly enjoy seeing their high priced treasures broken by the big clumsy oaf they hired to sweep the floor.

But as a mostly removed observer, I applaud the way Onyewu handled himself.

21. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onyewu did what probably many players have wanted to do to Ibra throughout his career.

1 person likes this.
  22. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I don't think we'll ever actually know if this is true. There was the knee injury. And the apparent "recovery" which when push comes to shove, he has only really started to round out into form in the last few months.

Could the Gooch of right now, or a couple months from now, challenge for a spot in the Milan defense?

Who knows. The fact is, he was never fully fit with Milan.

23. pacmanchamp8 redded

Nov 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That knee injury was a huge blow for him if it never happened I think he probably would of still been with AC Milan.

24. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    He was with Milan for ~3 months before the injury. During that period, there was no indication that he was going to be a regular for the Milan defense. He was also amongst the lowest paid players on the squad, which suggests that Milan did not sign him with regular first team action in mind. With all that said, who knows what would have happened had he stayed healthy. However, if I were a betting man, I would not bet on him ever becoming a Milan first team regular.

25. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Onyewu had spotty performances before his injury, to put it lightly. There were communication issues with him and his teammates so it was heading South fast even before the injury. Of course busting up Ibrahimovic didn't endear him to the Milan heirarchy either but then again it wasn't Onyewu who started the fracas with a horrible - and I might add even arrogant - tackle that could have injured him again. ("who is he? just a scrub, a nobody - a lesser person"). I think that was what made it worse. Of course I don't condone the fight at all. I can however understand how livid Onyewu or any player in that situation would be... or perhaps any human being with self-respect or stones.

Still, water under the bridge at this point. Happy to see Onyewu move on and start to regain some of his form. I admittedly never thought he was the epitome of defenders but he did deserve to play somewhere. Just wasn't going to ever happen regularly at Milan.