Iberian Cup ( R)

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Roy Da Silva, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    In what will become a yearly game the Portuguese Cup winners this year Setubal will play the Spainsh cup winners. This year Real Betis. in the Iberian Cup. So it is Spain vs Portugal every year. Forca Setubal

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I've known about this for some time and yet have never brought it up. Then I go around saying there's nothing to talk about, Grande Stupido.

Forca Setubal!

3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As leafster pointed out in another thread, it may have been better for bigger clubs from both countries to have won the cup to make this a more Marquee match. I for one like the idea of a couple of smaller clubs opening up this new annual competition it gives both teams more much needed exposure and allows for fans that don't cheer for the big teams not to be affraid to pull for their respective representitives as would be the case with a Real X Slb or a Barca X Porto game.

4. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    here's the date:
    Futebol
    Taça Ibérica
    Betis de Sevilha - Vitória FC
    2005-07-28 - Quinta
    Estádio de Ayamonte

RTPi better be beaming this to my house

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I just realised if this thing catches on maybe they might bring back the cup winners cup tourney. I like the CL and Uefa cup but their both so similar the idea of just the Cup winners going at it is so appealing.

6. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The only problem I see with the small clubs playing is that the Spanish might view this as being a small little trophy that doesn't have much prestige. I'd like to see this develop into an annual game that everyone looks forward to.

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Braga's only appearence at the Cup Winners Cup was in 66/67 where they beat AEK Athens in the first round then lost in the 2nd round to Vasas ETO of Hungary by a 3-2 aggregate.

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Screw the SHpanyols this IS going to ba an annual thing and if they don't care about it now and lose a couple by the time they do care we will be firmly on top.