Ian Sawyers Suspended Indefinitely!

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by DCUPopeAndLillyFan, May 23, 2009.

1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, that's interesting.

2. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    what's #2 supposed to mean?

also, the link is no longer available.....

4. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    Here's a working link to the ESPN story. No new information:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=649033&cc=5739

BTW, since we are exchanging crazy theories, I'll register a couple of guesses:

1. Owners are interfering with team selection. For example, forcing Sawyers to start Kai even if she's injured or not playing well.

2. Sawyers wants to bring in new international player(s), but the owners will not foot the bill.

5. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Either he hit one of them or had relations with one?

6. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    "Differences have arisen" sounds to me more like they didn't like how he was managing the team or they were interfering more than he liked. If it had something to do with mistreatment of players would think it would read more like "have taken disciplinary action" or "suspended pending an investigation".

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Gayle, this is surprising in the middle of the season. This seems more serious. IMO, control is usually a factor when something like this happens. Hope they work things out. This new league does not need this.

8. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is bad for the team and league especially in the first year.... have one being both GM and Coach is never a good thing... too involved in management of the team and not challenged on player selection.... not the first time Sky Blue has had differences with Staff / Coaches...

Guess no will be betting on them to win, not that we have

9. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    The part that is making my head spin is why would they "suspend" him indefinitely. If he had disagreements with management(which was one theory) or vice versa, none of the parts are likely to change their stand, so basically you rescind his contract or terminate him.

In the other hand if something weird with mistreatment of players happened, wouldn't they do an internal investigation before making such a weird statement? or even worse, if its something really bad, wouldn't you terminate him immediately?

On top of everything, the press release or statement has been yanked from the wps site. (possibly because it makes too many of us wonder what is happening)

What could've he possibly done to prevent him from being in the game today, yet still keeps them in the team?

10. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is suspended until the lawyers work out a settlement. He may have a "no termination without cause" in his contract; Hofstetter may have asked him to resign and when Ian refused, he was "suspended".

The original press release had a Washington byline, not New Jersey, which makes me think Hofstetter went down to talk with Sawyers, things came to head and Hofstetter decided to make a change.

11. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    Sawyers ruffled more than a few feathers while coaching the CyberRays and Stanford. He's very arrogant and most of the players that I know who were coached by him disliked him greatly. I had a chance to watch many of his practices with the CyberRays and I never saw why he was made to be a professional coach. I was surprised he was hired for the WPS, and not surprised about what is happening now.

12. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacqui Little specifically said she was very glad to be traded from the CyberRays to the Freedom because she didn't like playing for Sawyers.

I'm very surprised that Sky Blue let Charlie Naimo go - I thought he'd be a shoe-in for coach of the WPS team considering the success he'd had at the W-League level.

13. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    From the release from the match:

"The first half was an emotional battle for us - a bit of a rollercoaster to get into it and feel confident and comfortable," said Sky Blue FC Interim Head Coach Kelly Lindsey.

14. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone think a "Where's Ian" sign gets me thrown out of the game ?

15. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Blame it on his wife

1 person likes this.
  16. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a Breakers fan I hope this is true...And I hope even more that I have clarification before Sunday's trip to Rutgers!!

Oh what the hell....I'll speculate anyway!:D

17. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone in the NJ area find out anything else about Sawyers' suspension?

19. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    No, but I am sure that something is looming...

They won't go into Sunday without having it resolved...

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wouldn't be so sure about that....
    Then again, I'm highly cynical about anything that involves management as opposed to what the organization is actually there for (mostly b/c my mom works for a pharmaceutical company and I always hear about 'the managers vs. the scientists'.... and I've been hearing similar talk in the physics department here at the university I attend)

21. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Sounds like it's how he conducted himself with the players and coaching staff - not a big surprise based on what I've heard in the past. Reading into her comments about things being awkward with Foudy, it sounds like Captain Rampone had a role in the complaints.

I hope the compensation Sawyers will receive isn't ridiculous relative to the team's budget...

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hope that Kelly Lindsey steps up and makes a case to be the Head Coach. I remember her very well as a great player at Notre Dame.

23. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    If I'm not mistaken, the NY Power were also the first WUSA team to fire their coach. What's in the water there? Anyone know the Cosmos history in this regard? Will be interesting to see how the team responds - my guess is 'very well'.

And non-SB related, but I didn't know losing an MLS final constituted 'winning a trophy' (and the 'string of inconsistency and confusion' certainly hasn't ended because a sub-500 team somehow made the playoffs, got placed in the weaker bracket, and won two games).