Ian Plenderleith's latest

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ignatz, Nov 12, 2004.

1. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
  2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenderleith is right that the MLS Cup shouldn't be played at a neutral site. Don't know if a home & home series would work as he suggests, but basically he's right.

3. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Better suggestion - just hold the Cup in DC every year.

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree completely with Ian...home and home with the higher placed team getting the 2nd leg.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, when every MLS controls it's own stadium, this would certainly be a good option to think about.

However, MLS uses the Cup for more than just the final--it's a big media event, with quite a few things going on.

6. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost agree.

Home and home, with the higher placed team getting the choice of whether or not to play the second leg at home or away.

7. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I used to think that this was the only way to go and that MLS was blowing a big opportunity by having the final at a pre-determined venue. Then I looked at the historical attendance figures, thought about the four MLS cups that I have been to, and thought back to the champions league final I was able to attend in 1996. These factors all tell me that a pre-determined site is not so bad really. Good attendance, some historic and wonderful crowds, lots of ability for the league to market ahead of time.

Then I had a revelation:

Would we be arguing for a home and home final if the two teams that happened to be in it were KC and Dallas or San Jose? Seriously, wouldn't we be regretting the national embarassment of the league pricing tickets for the final at $5 each and having 12,000 people in an empty stadium? Something to think about at least.

Cheers,
    Tim

8. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Very good point. MLS Cup in LA, DC, Crew stadium are pretty safe bets on a decent crowd and atmosphere. ANywhere else it is a crapshoot that could end up looking quite embarassing for the league. We aren't at that level yet...years down the road it might be a better option.

9. jwgreen40

jwgreen40 Member

Jun 18, 2003
    And they won't be raising heaven and hell like we did at RFK last weekend.

amen brother

10. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Unfortunately, with baseball in RFK, chances are MLS won't be scheduling any more finals here for a while. Worse case scenario, the DC government screws around and delays the new BB stadium, and that delays the new SSS, and United gets a couple of extra years of a baseball infield or lousy sod over-top of it.

11. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Well done Ian.

12. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA

Baseball finishes over a month before MLS Cup. It's not like the Senators/Nats/whatevers are going to be in the World Series for a while. They could make it work.

13. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Great piece.

Yeah, the pitfalls of such a scenario are many, but with more and more teams getting control of their stadiums it's not such an outrageous proposal.

14. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    I took the liberty of inviting Ian to join us at Baileys.
    Mark
    VAMOS UNITED!

15. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    I plan on raising hell at the toolbox tomorrow.
    ;)

16. Shark

Shark Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Leesburg, VA

...and I 2nd that amen.

17. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hell is for heroes (and I'm not talkin' samiches here)! So everyone must set the stage for a United win over the negative footballing whiz.

GM