Ian Joy Returns to Germany

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Jul 16, 2009.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good piece of business for both Joy and Portland. Portland have a MLS quality defender in their move to MLS next season and in return, if Joy plays well, there's little doubt he'll be a MLSer again.

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appears that he is on trial at Fortuna Düsseldorf. There is a picture of him trying to kick some player's head off in a friendly against Tom Tomsk which I can't seem to copy here. It is picture 9 on this page. Not sure if Starikov played in the match.

Edit: The page containing the photos is dated today; however, it might be old footage as the only mention of a friendly between these two clubs is from 2009 and had the same 2-0 result.

3. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

For those who hate following links...

4. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is definitely with Fortuna Düsseldorf. Lots of photographic evidence:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a bit concerned this might be the case. However, he recently tweeted about interested parties in Germany, Google claims those pics were posted within 7 days, the date at the top of the pages I got the photos from said last week. Apparently I put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5. Sorry folks. :eek:

7. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a big deal - he is looking for a club and Germany's 2. Bundesliga would be a logical destination. It will become clearer in the coming weeks hopefully.

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian is back in Scotland, and will be a live guest on mao's Football show (a Portland Timbers-related show) on January 4th. One of the topics mentioned is his plans for the future so maybe we will get some info on where he might be headed. There is also a link to send questions for the interview if anyone is interested.

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the "where are they now file" Ian has been hired to do color commentary for the new BeIN Sports.
    Interview by Seltzer here