Ian Harkes - Wake Forest in Quarters

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by rocketeer22, Nov 30, 2016.

1. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wake Forest

Apparently he is also up for the MAC Hermann trophy. Though, given WF plays VT, I don't mind if WF loses in the quarters.

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure he belongs in the Alumni Forum ... yet ;) ... but it will be interesting to see how he performs in the final 4, assuming they get past VT (as I hope) - I hate that stupid Friday/Sunday thing they do for the Final, but if you have a specific player you're watching in a high-energy position, you can learn some things about him I suppose. Like is he dumb enough to overextend himself in games that close together, i.e.; does he have enough "grit" to play DM for United.
    Even if they don't get that far, I'd love to watch him Saturday, not sure there will be TV.

Winoman repped this.
  3. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he didn't win a championship but ended up with a MAC Hermann trophy.

NCAA article that shows Ian and John together.

PS - DC Unitedd holds Ian's rights from the academy time, so he is kind of an alumnus ;)

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of the Hermann Award ... has anyone who won it ever turned out to be a good long-term soccer player?

I tend to remember most either never play professionally or find something they're better at (or can make more money doing) relatively quickly.

5. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that the Hermann trophy does not equate professional success, as more and more players go the academy route. That said, Jordan Morris won it last year and seems to be doing just fine. Patrick Mullins won twice and has contributed for three years in MLS. Andrew Wenger won it before Mullins. Darlington Nagbe the year before that. There are a couple of Hermann ward winners who have not panned out professionally, but 6 of the past 7 are on active rosters and playing. The ironic thing is the the most recent Hermann winner who failed to stay on a professional roster long was Leo Stolz who grew up playing in 1860 Munich’s youth system and was offered a contract fr their first team but opted to go to college to play instead.

fatbastard repped this.
  6. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the link to all of the winners...

Mattjo listed the recent winners, some of the older winners with notable carreers include

Alecko Eskandarian
    Jay Heaps
    Claudio Reyna
    Brad Friedel
    Alexi Lalas
    Tony Meola
    John Harkes

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States