Ian Feuer interview

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Greywacke, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Greywacke

Greywacke New Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Huntington Beach
    Very interesting, if somewhat rambling, interview with Ian Feuer can be found here. He pretty much rambles on through the whole history of his professional career. The number of clubs he played and trialed for in England is astounding. I think a few years ago, some poster (Captain Splarg?) put together a list of them and it approached the 'teens.

2. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Note: I have not read the article. I put the odds at even money that the word "giant" will appear somewhere in the article about him. I am now going to check.

Edit: It did not, but I didn't know it was a US source. It seems to be only the Brits who call him that.

No indication that he's going to play anywhere any time soon, although the reporter told him he's "got a good career going." Or did I skim over too fast?

(P.S. The link didn't work for me directly)

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dead link for me.

4. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
  5. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Except in this case "giant" would be an accurate description. At 6'7" he was about as tall as any soccer player, even goalkeepers. AFAIK only Edwin van der Sar is as tall as him, although it seems possible there are others of similar height.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    if Dan Califf's main competitor is an orange traffic cone, Feuer's is a telephone pole. Seems to be a nice guy but he is sure a mediocre goalkeeper.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting read, but does anyone else think Ian comes across as quite the douchebag?

I usually boost Yanks, but Ian really comes across as self absorbed and conceited.

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    He knows his stuff about English lower league finances, but he does seem to have a rather inflated opinion of his own importance. The bottom line is that he was the quintissential 'fill in' 'keeper, available when someone needed a 'keeper in a hurry for a few games.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Cech the Czech is 6'7".

Otto Kleff was 6'6".

Simon Jentsch is 6'6" too, I believe.

10. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. This was a very casual interview. Almost like two friends just chatting about the good old days. Who doesn't exaggerate in those situations?

Ian Feuer is f'n tops in my book. What a career for a yank...

11. Horndude

Horndude New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    A long drive from SJ
    I didn't find him full of himself, either. He seemed awed by his opportunities and situations, but honest that he felt that he fit in as a seasoned pro.

I haven't seen him play in ages, but I recall him as being an OK keeper. I'd guess he's impoved much since. I felt the same way about Hahnemann (sp?) at the time, and he has most certainly improved since his MLS days.

12. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Richard Golz is right at 200 cm, too.

13. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy's an absolute legend at Luton Town.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he is the worst keeper we ever had at the Revs. You could say we have had some good ones: Adin Brown, Reis, etc, but Feuer is really pretty bad. If the shot is below the knee it is always a goal.

15. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty unfair, the Revs defense was atrocious when Ian was here.

16. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL

And, g-dammit if I would chop off your left ear for that job.

Huh?

MY ear. I meant my ear.

17. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Thanks for proving my point guys. Though those other keepers are as tall or almost as tall, they are still at the high end of the scale and none are taller than Feuer :p

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Ian was atrocious too. I would even say he was the worst defender.

19. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true, there were some bad games in that career of his, maybe even a bad season or two. He still had a great career. I tend to remember the good things about about a player after his career is over. But hey I'm neither a Revs fan, nor am I extremely tall.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    fair enough. I am a little bitter because we heard there was this keeper coming who was a God at Luton Town- and he sucked! He was much worse than Zenga, Brown, etc. He may have been a legend, but they sure must have low standards at Luton!

21. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zenga was one of the worst ever signings for the Revs, if only because of the expectations. If you're looking for over the hill Euro superstars treating MLS like a vacation league, look no further than Walter Zenga. The frustrating bit about that was the Revs could have had Massimo Lotti, a young Italian who went on to play with Lecce in Serie A the next season, a kid who was at the time 27 and could have been a very good MLS keeper for a number of years. But no, Rongen went with Zenga, which was ironic as Rongen lost his job to Zenga less than a year later.

Ian Feuer wasnt that bad.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Uh... Hakeem Olajuwon (6'10") and Pat Ewing (7'0") played in goal too. So there. :p

23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Good One :D

24. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    He certainly sounds dickish. But nonetheless somewhat interesting, if tedious. And Gazza, I would have made the same guess.