Ian Bishop: "MLS is of similar standard to the English SECOND division."

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mbar, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoachRiver

CoachRiver New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Florida
    Bishop is right on key about the MLS

The league is dying and their is little interest in a dying league. (especially investors)

Mind you there is BIG interest in Soccer in the US, just not MLS soccer.

The comish Hororbitch or whaterver his name is,
    is a fool!
    Think about it,
    what moron would contract a league just before the WC and especially a team that doubled it's attendance from the previous season and one that had already sold 10,000+ seasons tickets for the 2002-3 season

Bishop and the Fusion brought to MLS "class" and a style of play that was exciting to watch; that's why the attendance doubled.

I haven't seen 1 game this season that was as exciting. I event went to NE to the brand spanking new CMGI field to watch them play DC.
    at $60 per ticket x 4, plus 2 happy meals which consisted of 2 chiken nuggets and abag of chip for 6 bucks a piece...I wasn't impressed ..Hey if the game would have been exiciting I wouldn't of cared.

Soccer is a sport that is built not placed.

You can't just put any team in any city and say here is your soccer team go and support them and then pull them out a couple of years later because the fan base isn't what you thought it was going to be.(or more accurately in this case, miscalculated)

It takes years and years to build a great fan base and following.

I lost respect for the MLS last year. It going to have to take alot to get me back on their wagon.

2. CoachRiver

CoachRiver New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Florida
    If you need a gun to shoot yourself I can be of assistance after you fill out the proper forms.

BTW that little icon represents the 3rd digit on my hand pointng at you.

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Bishop is right on key about the MLS

Troll.

There's a thread for whiny obsessive can't-believe-my-team-is-gone Fusion fans buried somewhere in the Expansion forum. Find it.

4. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    although I still follow MLS, and think some of the matches have been very good this year, I would like to be publicly indentified as a 'whiny little Fusion missing bitch'. Still, playing MLS Extratime on playstation 2 as the Fusion still brings a tear to my eye. Watching Pablo Mastroeni in the world cup had me sobbing uncontrollably on the floor. I even called 9-1-1 when I found out that Diego Serna injured his knee. Life sucks. Life sucks even more without the Fusion.

p.s. I also miss the Tudor Inn.

5. CoachRiver

CoachRiver New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Florida
    Re: Re: Bishop is right on key about the MLS

Hey! Call it what you want. I'm just telling you the truth, just like Bishop is. The MLS was much better before the contraction then it is now.

Yes we lost our team, so what? This thread is about the credibility of Bishops statements.

I for one can tell you they are very credible.
    So take that for what it worth and do what you want with it dude ; I don't care!

6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Bishop is right on key about the MLS

Is it fair to guess that you have not been to as many games this years as last?

If so, that might help everyone to evaluate what your opinion IS worth.

Any how many UK 2nd division games have you attended this year, so as to give you a basis for comparison?

I thought so.

7. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Bishop is right on key about the MLS

Sorry to butt in but..
    Would you have taken his opinion onboard if he had been to see both Div 2 matches and MLS matches?

Ian Bishop I think has more than enough experience on either side of the Atlantic, to voice an opinion. And you don't want to listen to him, so what chance do mere mortals have?

Free your mind + the rest will follow. En Vogue I think :p

8. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Bishop is right on key about the MLS

The commissioner is named Don Garber. The owner of the Fusion was Horowitz.

And it is totally inaccurate that the Fusion sold 10,000+ season tickets for the 2002 season. 10,000 is about what their overall attendance average was, which was near the bottom of the league.

Horowitz did say in an interview earlier this year that he would be willing to bring back the Fusion if he could be guaranteed to get 10,000 season tickets sold. This is probably where you got this number from. Most people agree that this is a totally unrealistic expectation, and in reality he has no intention of bringing the Fusion back.

You might be angry and all, but please learn the facts before ranting.

- Paul

9. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001

Hey, it's all right. If he wants to expose himself as an uninformed jackass, that's his prerogative.

When he spouts ignorant garbage like that, it's just like raising a red flag that says "I'm a fricking idiot," and most of us just ignore him and make a mental note that this guy doesn't have a clue.

10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bishop is right on key about the MLS

You miss the point. Bishop is currently in litigation with MLS. He has an emotional and financial bias which inherently make his comments unreliable. Note - I said unreliable, not "wrong." He could be right, or not, as the case may be.

I have seen both 2nd, first and premiere EPL games, and I think Bishop's views are off the wall wrong, but that's just my view.

I was responding to a pontificating twit who wanted the world to take HIS word for something when he obviously has no basis for spouting off.

11. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I miss them too, Ted, but I wish I had a nickel for every guy that spouts about the Fusion (usually with very wrong information) a year after the fact. It's like listening to Brooklyn Dodgers fans 50 years later. I know where they're coming from, but at some point you have to let go.

12. snorklefish

snorklefish New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I know what you're saying, but the New York fans had the Yankees and eventually got the Mets. Until we get a team to watch in person... the few of us who actually went to games should be entitled to kvetch a bit.

As to Bishop's lawsuit... does anyone know where it was filed? The depositions, motions, pleadings, transcripts, etc... should provide some real insight into how and why Ken Horowitz screwed his players and fans.

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Fair enough. A friend of mine recently moved down from NY who's a big soccer fan. It's a damn shame we don't have the options we had just a year ago. Hopefully south Fla. is in somebody's future plans.

Oh, and Horowitz is a putz.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Righton. There was a very cute little exotic barmaid there, though it was like 2 1/2 years ago last time I was there.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. ;)

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better looking than my (ex-) wife, though I haven't seen yours, dave. :)

17. CoachRiver

CoachRiver New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Florida

I could say the same for you! Get your facts straight before you start ranting.

My sources came from the Miami Fusion personel that were working before thaye were laid off. 10K- was an accurate figure for seat sold.

If you relly believe that Horowitz would have kept the Fusion if he was guranteed 10K seats then you are a bigger fool then he was.

..and it is Don Garbage and Horrobitch
    so you need not correct my spelling. The MLS is boring! My opinion, it's was not worth the price I paid to have the MLS Shootout subscription

18. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread closed.

~Applause~