Ian Bishop: "MLS is of similar standard to the English SECOND division."

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mbar, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't have summarized my opinion any better!

2. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Yes, this explains why there is a nearby park that I run by every day at lunch. It has two baseball diamonds and two soccer fields. Everyday kids or adults are playing pick-up soccer in those fields. No one ever plays baseball. Just one small example from a city with no MLS team.

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Nobody's arguing here that MLS is at the level of the EPL. But when a guy told his "mates" in November of last year that the quality of play in MLS was at English First Division level, then starts bad-talking the league because they decided not to renew his contract (not to mention saying patently false things regarding salaries, attendance, etc.) then he's nothing but a whiny cry-baby.

The rest of your post contained a bunch of non-sensical babbling that I won't address.

4. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    See calcio, benine agrees with you, which pretty much proves your stance is incorrect.

5. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    It would be nice if we could do our own interview with Bishop. Someone have a soccer 'zine?

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    They're a mediocre team. By MLS standards. At best. They're 8th out of ten, what other proof does one need? Against that, why should I care they won the title three years ago? Might as well be three hundred.

7. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Not to mention 3/4 of our team when we played them away were 3rd tier bench or A-Leaguers. We still only lost 1-0. And when we played them at home, with only a marginally better lineup, we beat them.

8. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: Bishop's right

Totally agree as a season ticket holder for the SJ Earthquakes or whatever the name is these days and having attended numerous first and second division games when I go to Spain, I said from day one that the MLS was comparable to Spanish Second Division mid to lower table. Although still comparable to Spanish Second Division I would have to rate the MLS in the top 5 of the Spanish Second Division table. They have a ways to go before it can be compared to La Liga, the biggest hurdle is league ownership and salary caps.

Saludos y Viva Er EuroBeti Manque Alfonso y Lopera!

Pichi

9. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I guess that star above their badge isn't for the 2000-2001 Invierno Championship, after all.

10. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I'm not sure if this was the point you were making, but style of play is probably at least as important as level. This is a gross generalization: MLS IS fast and physical, but definitely not as physical as England; dribbling is probably more important than in England so the pure bursts of speed that you need to get free in England aren't as necessary. I don't think either of those things makes MLS a better or worse type of football than in ENgland. But it could explain why finesse players like Gazza and Bishop can do better in MLS than they could in England.

11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above post says it all. Funny how reality changes when you lose your job.

12. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Why was Morelia?

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Indeed.

14. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    Re: Re: Bishop's right

And the English second Div. is actually Third. So first div. is comparable to the Segunda División in Spain. This is the level of most MLS sides, not the 3rd level in England which is called the "second" Div. Those crazy Brits! ;)

15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Bishop's right

What do you expect from people who put the first floor of a building on the second floor?

16. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    I didn't have time to read pages 2-5. All I wanted to say was that this part:
    Pissed me off. U.S. enjoying its status as world's leading centre for industrial-scale eating? Hello, pot? Yeah, this is the kettle. You're black.

17. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Ian Bishop is saying none of the 10 teams in a DIV 2 level league thought he was good enoughto play in that league? Okay.

And where exactly is Barry Town, praytell? They're not exactly bumping uglies with Man U now, are they?

18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I don't think this was intended as such a big slam as you might think. My business involves dealing with a fair number of Brits, and when they visit the U.S. for the first time they are universally astounded by the size of the portions served in U.S. restaurants. Thus "industrial-sacle" is just a colorful euphamism for "big."

19. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Ian Bishop is a friggin wanker!

20. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    quite hard to do saying as they play in a different country from man U and are never ever ever likely to actually qualify for the champions league group stages.

21. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I'm pretty sure that was exactly his point....

22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Maybe we could take Bishop a little more seriously if he hadn't spent a year in MLS trying to pound the living daylights out of every talented American player and then whining like a spoiled puppy when the refs actually did their job and sent him off.

And to think I was actually starting to feel sorry for the guy.

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was always a tad concerned about Bishop's state of mind last year when he played the whole season in south Florida wearing a friggin long sleeved jersey.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Regarding the points he makes about comparing leagues, i.e. MLS to EPL, whatever. I must say that I have been considering this for some time and have found it very difficult. The reason for this is that the MLS seems to have a very much wider disparity between the good players and the bad. Much wider than in most other leagues.

I suppose it's inevitable in a league that is still relatively young - things take a while to settle down - but it does make it difficult to compare.

Additionally the MLS plays more in the style of the EPL rather than some of the continental leagues, (there is often little time for players on the ball to show skills), so that may make it seem that the skills don't exist.

My own feeling, for what it's worth, is that the MLS is approximately level with the middle of the English 1st division or the bottom of the EPL.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Your honor, the defendant's Exhibit #23...."

I found a better Bishop quote, actually:

(italics mine)

Not bad for a second-division level league, to have a dozen guys who could cope in the EPL.