I went to the MLS Soccer Fest

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by detter7, Aug 2, 2002.

1. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Any thoughts from those who went?

It's was hot! That pretty much sums it up.

2. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Detter, was Veronica there?

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so what happened? what did you do?
    I've been to the NBA fanfest and it was pretty fun. I'm curious what sort of show the MLS puts on.
    were players accessible?

4. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was fun

I wasn't quite the typical demographic there (age 8-14 with a parent), but I enjoyed it.

There were autograph booths, there was a stage that mostly got ignored, and there were lots of clinics and amusement-park type soccer games.

I got autogrpahs from Beasly, McBride, Jones, Pope, Klein, Bocanegra, Graziani, Arena, Chung, Henderson, Harkes, Lalas, Mathis and the Bruce.

Most of the players were really cool about signing stuff.

You hear people say that Landon is a punk about autographs. I don't think it's him so much as his wanna-be enterage. They kind of told him where to be and when and what he could and couldn't do. There was a line stretched accross the field to get his autograph.

All in all, it was lots of fun.

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Pepsi Powershot. The ONLY reason why I went to it, and no freaking Pepsi Power Shot. GRRR!!!!!

6. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Veronica was there, me and my friend stopped her on the way to the team bus that was leaving and she posed for a pic with me and my friend eventhough her people were telling her she needed to leave, that was really cool of her. And wow she is quite the knockout in person! The soccerfest was great though, got my picture taken with Lalas, Klein, Henderson, and got autographs from Donovan, Mastoeni, Beasley, lalas, Klein, Kreis, Kovalenko, Tim Howard, Joe Cannon..refused to get Petke's :)

And yes it was damn hot! oh yeah also caught a hat that Veronica was throwing of the stage.

7. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: it was fun

You got B.A's autograph twice?? Can I have one of them???? And people say he isn't friendly or accessible.... :D Just giving you a hard time.

8. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA

It was crazy when Donovan came out. People just went running. But I have to give a lot of respect to Donovan and Etcheverry. Etcheverry sat out until everyone in line got an autograph/picture/whatever, while all the other players went back to the air conditioning. And I was sitting behind the tent while Donovan was signing. That line just kept getting longer and longer, so they had to cut it off eventually, but he was out there for at least and hour and a half signing. I overheard the lady sitting with him (probably with his agent or something) tell someone that he wanted to stay until everyone got his autograph. I bet his hand was hurting after that.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

actually, after Quakes game the kid signs for everybody and didn't seem too displeased about doing it.

10. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Re: Re: it was fun

he is like a kid eating a ice cream cone - a 20 year old having the time of his life - playing the game he loves, being damn good, close to home - what more can you ask for ...... he is surrounded now by a small entourage - but that is the price he pays for notoriety.

11. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    There were at least 2 Landon groupies at the Soccerfest, they followed him around the whole time just waiting to talk to him. They were dressed pretty slutty too, it was funny.