I want Man United to play the Metros on the next Champions World Tour...

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by sanariot, Oct 10, 2003.

1. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I can sing:

His name is Rio
    He don't seem to understand
    He didn't piss into that cup
    And now he can't play for Eng-er-land

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    No way Metrostars would ever be invited to participate.

3. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    I've never understood the obsession some people have with wanting MLS teams to play visiting teams from other leagues durring the summer. I don't want my Metros playing a meaningless friendly in the middle of their season. Just doesn't give MLS anything, whether they win or loose. MLS team wins, the Euro/Latin team says that the result didn't matter since it was just a friendly. If MLS looses it prooves the superiority of the Euro/Latin leagues. And then you have tired Metros playing in the next league match that really matters. Champs World can set up their matches, and I'll watch them too, but leave the MLS sides out of them so they can focus on their season.

chris...

4. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Point.Missed.

5. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Irish barkeep at the Westside Tavern in Manhattan wondered just the opposite: why didn't MLS (Metro) play ManU?

I told them MLS was forozen out by ChampionsWorld; he just reckoned MLS missed a shot at recognition.

"I mean, Club America," he said, "what the *#*#*#*#*#*# was that about?"

You tell me.

6. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    They "win" by making money off of the matches. Maybe a lot of it.

And for everybody's information, it appears Real Madrid will be the club touring next year. Who the hell wouldn't love to see the MetroStars take on those guys? It may be "meaningless" in the sense of league standings, but frankly, it would be very prestigious. What's wrong with that?

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Meaningless friendly? Are you whack? Anytime Metro or another MLS club plays a top caliber club like Man Yoo or Real Madrid, it's good for MLS. End of story...

8. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    But we've done it already. We've played against a number of Euro/LatAm clubs such as Bayern Munich and AC Milan. Did we get more prestige from these matches? It didn't do anything for the Metros or MLS. Why would it be any different this time?

Keep the Euro/LatAm clubs playing freindlies against each other. If we want to have MLS play against foreign clubs, get us into Copa Libertadores.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Wrong. Although you and I may not see the differences it makes, European clubs and fans do. The clubs see talented young Americans playing in MLS, and the perception of the league slowly begins to change towards the positive.

10. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    I read that during a friendly between the Fire and Pumas, Campos played in the net for 45 minutes for each team (My facts are bit hazy, if anyone can find an article about this please post it).

Would Timmy do this for a friendly between his new and his old team?

11. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY

Hmmm... I had always heard that the results of these friendlies were met with a collective yawn from people across the sea, and that was if they even knew the match took place.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Some do, some don't. Those who are blindly loyal to the club will never give anyone else credit. But there are objective European fans out there..... I think? :)

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Defeated Bayern Munich two nil. 2001

Down one nil to AC Milan then Tab Ramos equalized.
    &
    Down two nil to Boca Juniors then Rodrigo Faria nailed two goals including one that was a PK & Jeff Moore scored his only goal of his Metro Career.

I would like to think that these Euro clubs should come over and give us MLS clubs a chance to see what's going on. Especially Metro. I believe that down the line you will see Man U Vs Metro because of Timmy during the summer. And you never know if it will be a win, draw, or loss.