I want, I want, I want SHINY NEW TOYS! - LFC transfer thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Wingtips1, Oct 17, 2023.

1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With some to spare, too.

2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He’s really good. And Leeds have been using him at right back. A midfielder who plays right back could be a great fit if we continue with inverted fullback thing under the new manager.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    good news re Trent, but the salary mentioned is over the top imo.

Liverpool are swiftly progressing with talks over the future of Trent Alexander-Arnold and have a confidence that a new record-breaking contract will soon be agreed to keep the star at Anfield, according to an in-the-know transfer journalist.

The 25-year-old star has developed into one of the leading right-backs in the game and has proved a huge factor in the success Liverpool have enjoyed in the Jurgen Klopp era at Anfield. Over the last year, Alexander-Arnold has added another string to his bow, proving himself equally as capable as a creative midfielder for both club and country.

However, with Klopp departing this summer, speculation has risen that a number of their leading players could also look to follow the German out the exit door and knowing it may be difficult for any successor – whoever it may be – will struggle to replicate the success that they have enjoyed under their charismatic boss.

Alexander-Arnold has been touted as a big-money transfer option for Real Madrid, who are desperately seeking a quality right-back upgrade this summer. Despite that, reports earlier this week suggested Alexander-Arnold was to be offered a bumper new deal by the Reds to keep the 25-year-old on Merseyside for the forseeable future.

Currently on a hefty £180,000 a week deal at Anfield, it’s claimed Liverpool plan to offer their homegrown star a deal worth double that, elevating his salary to £360,000 a week and making him the club’s all-time highest-paid player.

4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can't have it both ways. He's from Liverpool and the Academy, and possibly one of the best players in the world. Either you risk letting him go for free and then people go absolutely nuts, or you pay him and people go Absolutely nuts.

LiverpoolFanatic and B.A. repped this.
  5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's an annoying situation to be in.

But bottom line for me is if anyone deserves to be paid beyond Mo, Virg, and Alisson... it's him.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    if the attached is accurate, a £360,000 salary would put him above Mo. not saying Trent isn't worth it by any means, but looking at the list, our new management guys will have to deal with a huge ripple-effect

a 100% salary increase for Trent could set off a dangerous round of very significant (% wise) wage demands - I'd say the majority of our first team squad could reasonably claim to be underpaid eg Mac, Jota, Robbo, Joe (£85k!) Diaz (£55k!) Dom (relative to Grav), Konate, Harvey (£40k!) Jones(£15k !!!!!!) ..... and others.

https://www.capology.com/club/liverpool/salaries/

soccershaggy repped this.
  7. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can’t defend well, so how about a 50% raise?

8. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Or you sell him this summer and pocket the 120m of pure profit safe in the knowledge we have a replacement who can actually defend and is pretty darn good going forward, too, while giving the new manager a huge transfer kitty to start with.

9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You aren't getting that much for him with 1 year on the contract.

you could always sell him after he extends as well.

B.A. repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool are preparing summer moves for Sporting Lisbon's English forward Marcus Edwards, 25, and Portugal defender Goncalo Inacio, 22.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Arsenal and Liverpool have joined Bayern Munich in the race to sign Spanish left-back Alejandro Grimaldo, 28, from Bayer Leverkusen.

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Won’t happen. His agent, though, wants a move and an auction.

13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not interested in a 28 yr old LB who will want top money.

B.A. repped this.
  14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #489 newterp, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    We have some great pieces to build around but I think we may need some more players than I thought.

you have to sell Salah for sure as well.

B.A. repped this.
  15. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is a lot of over reaction to players after the last few games. Yes there have been some bad passes and we should've done better in front of the goal but when you look at the game statistically, we're not too bad.
    I also believe that the opposing teams have improved their tactical set-ups against us and we have not reacted properly. This forces us into bad passing options and makes it difficult to appropriately supply our forwards with opportunities. That being said our players have to do better with the opportunities they do get.

16. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    I'd agree with this; Endo, Szobo, Mac, Nunez didn't go completely to sh*t overnight altho the collective loss of form is really concerning. We've done well in the transfer market, there's more work to be done for sure but let's not throw everybody overboard yet.

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Salah sale will fund a rebuild. Matip, Thiago wages gone. Sell Tsimikas. Can't see Kelleher wanting to hang around again so we should get a nice fee for him.

Kubo or Olise would be my targets to replace Mo.
    Need a left-sided defender like Inacio to be there to replace VvD (try to sign him to a one-year extension).
    Need a player who can be a long-term solution to the DM slot - I like Geertruida since he could be RB, CB, and DM all wrapped into one.
    New 2nd choice GK - do we have anybody in the academy ready for this role?
    Owen Beck should be ready to step into the 2nd LB role.

Not much other work to be done. Maybe an upgrade on Gakpo - I was so hoping he'd be the business and I do like him, but he's not going to be THE leading man and we need one now as everybody else seems like they're great cast members but not leading lights. Like quarterback in the NFL, you should keep taking shots to find that star whenever you're able to do so - and sacrifice the occasional above average player in search of him. And Cody should be that guy right now.

imasyko repped this.
  18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm now a bit worried that we may need to a lot more wheeling and dealing this summer than expected.

CB - must.
    LB - strong need
    MF - strong need for a 6
    Forward - a lot of questions here - does Salah go? Does a decent offer come for Diaz? Gakpo seems like a luxury. Nunez is Nunez. Jota will have one big spell out per season.

Wingtips1 and B.A. repped this.
  19. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    I disagree with all of this...

Allison (Kelleher)
    Trent (Connor B.) - Konate (Gomes) - Van Dijk (Quansah) - Robertson (Tsimikas/Owen Beck)
    Endo (mcConnel/Bajcetic)
    Szoboslai (B Clark) - MacAllister (Jones/Gravenberg)
    Elliot (Doak) - Nunez (Jota) - Diaz (Gakpo)

in fact, one could make the argument that there are a dirth of players that might actually impede the development of some of the academy players coming through, and so in a scenario like this, i believe Gravenberg is surplus to requirements, and should very well be shown the door, and was entirely unnecessary to begin with, but yet another one of Klopp's whimsical signings to over compensate for the lack the preceded the season prior.

Note that this does not even take into account Nyoni, Danns, and a few of the other prospects who have a high ceiling in the academy. For me, Liverpool is a complete team, even with the sale of Salah, and any incommings are going to do nothing but curtail a hand picked academy that i feel have a very bright future.

It is folly to buy a CB, a LB, a MF, and a Forward at this stage without giving players like Quansah, Clark, McConnel, Beck, Danns a look in! Perhaps loan some of these out and keep the brightest prospects to see if they develop before being rash. And the same applies for Gakpo, there is clearly a player in there, and a switch in managers could work wonders. For all his merits, Klopp had his favourites, and the pitfalls of having Klopp as a manager is that he never understood the concept of rotation. It was the same sh.t at Dortmund where he would just play players over and over, until they broke down, then when they returned from injury, would fit them back into the cycle of being overplayed, and i believe this led to a lot of chronic injury problems. It is why Klopps teams always peak in early mid season and then tend to peter out during the late stages of a campaign.... he never understood the concept of a 70 game season being a marathon, and was all gung ho geigenpress, and this was only compounded by the intensity of his playing style. If you want to play a ball playing possession football like Guardiola's City, sure... play them 70 games in a row. But the blitzkreigg over a 70 game season, is just asking for trouble.

Klopp had his merits, but he also had his faults.

20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got it all wrong - Liverpool in the Klopp era have been fantastic closers. I'm guessing you had no idea about that and figured you'd just cut and paste his time at Dortmund. This is the first year we are faltering down the stretch - and that falter only occurred in the last 3 weeks after playing with a threadbare team.

Endo isn't a long term solution and has already shown his shortcomings. He can be rotated - but right now we don't have a strong 6.

Andy Robertson is 32 - and has played high octane for club and country. He's visibily a different player than he used to be. Tsmikas has shown he's a PL backup. Maybe he can start in a slower league regularly - but in the PL it doesn't work. So then unproven and untested Owen Beck is the solution? Maybe in 2 years.

Harvey Elliot doesn't have the pace to play forward - he's definitely a good player - but is more an attacking midfielder. Liverpool needs another pacy forward.

Joe Gomez has played about zero games this season as a CB - that leaves the oft injured Konate, 33 yrs old Van Dijk and Quansah. You can't go through the PL season with 3 CBs. We've shown it ourselves that it's a bad move.

anyway, this discussion might be moot with the new manager, who has different ideas and different players he would prefer. Maybe even a different formation.

21. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    You know what we need - A Mane clone.

LiverpoolFanatic, EruditeHobo and B.A. repped this.
  22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Step up Michael Edwards.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  23. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    Andy Robertson is 30, feel free to confirm.

I have watched every single Liverpool game for years if not a decade at this point, and have been watching Liverpool since 1996.

To say they do well down the stretch is entirely false. Perhaps in a season without a covid hampered and compressed schedule, or a WC or Euro, but that hasn't been the case for a while now. The players always look haggard and the intensity levels do drop to the tail end, and you can confirm this with the results by all means, because they are perenial under achievers in finals that really matter.

Endo is not a long term solution, but McConnell and Bajcetic very well might be. Barca's Busquettes showed you never needed a strong 6 to dominate the middle of the park, so why detract those minutes. Jota RW, Danns CF, is another shift of the jigsaw. Gomez has played most of the season at CB, because Trent and now Bradley are injured. Tsimikas may be 2nd choice, and irrespective Robertson is getting along, I would say LB is probably the only weak spot in the team given that dynamic. But from what i hear, Owen Beck is highly highly regarded. Bradley on the other side was not given a look in at all, ntil the team had no choice but to play him... he has been a revelation. You'll never know the level of a player, until you give them an opportunity to prove you otherwise.

Sell Salah, and just bank the cash for MC model, with a purchase of another team. Will balance the books, and give the players time to earn their stripes, rather than riping up a script... most new managers are too rash with implementing their own ideas, and marking a stamp on their territory. It goes with the turf i suppose, doesn't make it any more palatable though.

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again - go tally our points outside of Klopps first year. We have been excellent closers apart from this year (we didn't need a major push in 19-20 we won the title in a walk). This is the first year we have looked poor down the stretch.

you are correct - Robertson turned 30 - but the point is the same - for a guy that thrives on playing 100 mph - he's not able to bring the same performance.

You can certainly mix in some youth players - but not strengthening the squad in key areas is self-harm. Saying that 18 yr old Jayden Danns is going to lead the line against PL defenders week in and out is asking a lot.

Samarkand repped this.
  25. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States