I think we've seen enough of these players.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by J_Ibarra, Jul 12, 2005.

1. J_Ibarra

J_Ibarra BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 5, 2005
    I think we've seen enough of these players.
    Arena need new bloods to evaluate.

Bellow are players that dont have bussiness in our team

Sanneh
    Armas

-------------------
    Altought they are good players in MLS, useless in USMNT

Noonan - no offence Noonan fans ( Hes like a turtle )
    Olsen - not USMNT material
    Conrad - Inexperience, too many mistakes.

GO USA!

2. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I agree with everything except for Noonan. Who can do anything with Armas and Olsen orchestrating the midfield?

3. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I have always thought Noonan future with national team is in the midfield so I still have hope for him. Conrad was better than Sanneh so he is in the mix but will not make the '06 team

Twellman needs to stay healthy and get a real chance! Outside of Johnson and McBride we are very weak at forward. Wollf needs to do more with the chances he has been given especially since his speed is not what it used to be

4. J_Ibarra

Jul 5, 2005
    The only reason he's there on my list, is his lack of speed at that position. but you're right "Who can do anything with Armas and Olsen orchestrating the midfield?" LOL. I dont know where he fits though.

5. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I totally agree, but let's not forget Brian Ching either. Having EJ, Twellman, and Brian Ching on this Gold Cup roster would have made this team so much more dangerous.

6. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    You don't need to have great speed to be a great international forward. You need to be able to finish, create space, and make good runs. I think Noonan can do all these things and he adds a certain amount of creativity that is unusual in American forwards. Given another chance up top with EJ and our best players in midfield, I believe he can suceed.

7. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Is'nt Ching badly injured?

Twellman since the begining of 2004 he has played 3 games and a total of 36 mins for the nats. He deserves more of a hance

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admittedly I'm biased, and I don't think he'll ever be first choice, but I'd like to see Olsen get a run out as the sole defensive mid. He's played twice in that role with Armas and they're falling all over one another, not to mention that if you replace a d-mid with an attacking player the other team has to react to that...

But at least he got in one of the Tico's face after an early hard foul.

9. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already knew that Sanneh, Armas, and Olsen were toast. Unfortunately, Arena blew an opportunity to give some additional younger players a look. Bruce would do well to take the notion from this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/gabriele_marcotti/07/12/cash.crunch/index.html

... paying particular attention to this passage:

Judging by what we're witnessing this summer, soccer is mirroring real life: Top-notch superstars have spent the summer being shopped around by clubs who would rather have younger, cheaper versions. It's a function of the current cash crunch, of course, but it's also a result of clubs realizing that it often makes sense to move veterans well before their inevitable decline.

Just like the aforementioned players, Reyna, Pope, and even McBride should retire from the USMNT. If they feel like Sanneh in his USSoccer podcast before the Gold Cup -- and ignoring reality -- that he is at the level where he feels he can play in G06 (yeah, right :rolleyes: ), then Arena should take the initiative to *help* them retire by giving them a nudge in that direction and not calling them back into camp.

It's up to Arena to steer the ship. And he's much better served by relying on his youth to carry us forward...

10. J_Ibarra

Jul 5, 2005
    I agree.
    but.. Im a bit generous here. how can I say this?... :rolleyes: Noonan is slow folks.

The other poster is right. he has a future in midfield.

11. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    You are an absolute idiot if you think McBride should retire from the USMNT.

12. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree that Sanneh looks to be done. His pace and skill level have regressed to the point where national team service is no longer a realistic option.

Armas isn't playing well in this tournament, and that's disappointing. He's capable of better play, but he's not showing it in what may be his final chance.

Olsen isn't playing badly, and is showing some nice aggressiveness. I agree that running him out there without Armas as a partner might be the fairest way to take a look at him.

Noonan is being pushed to see if he might be able to serve as both a midfielder and forward. He seems a bit uncomfortable with the roles he's playing, but he isn't playing his way out of consideration at all. In fact, demonstrating some positional flexibility may very well be his ticket to Germany.

Conrad played decently against Cuba in a tough formation for a first cap, and did an excellent job as a sub for Pope against Cuba. He's still learning Arena's system, and has played with different players and formations during this 3-game stretch. That's tough on anyone, but I'm not displeased with his performance or call-up, and Costa Rica is the best team he's faced so far.....

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't call you an idiot. But you see the part preceeding where you put the bold in?

it's a function of the current cash crunch

that whole article was about how teams are getting rid of older players who are still playing well because of their high salaries and impending decline

Old players cost the Nats the same as young players

And in case you didn't notice, the Nats run on a 4-year life cycle

In 12 months, those three will be basically done with the national team, but if you think they should go now, you're an...

14. El Jefecito

El Jefecito New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Monroe, LA
    Wolff-Can't Finish.
    Armas-too old/slow.
    Olsen-too slow.
    Sanneh-too slow???
    Noonan-Jury's Out
    Dempsey- " "

Where was Twellman?
    " " Buciagra?

15. J_Ibarra

Jul 5, 2005

*ding!* ding!* ding!*

We have a winner folks!
    A very nice post.
    I hope could write something like this after watching that game :D

GO USA!

16. tytomkiel

tytomkiel Red Card

Feb 12, 2002
    San Diego, Ca
    Ive been saying Armas was done when he tore his ACL...bye bye Armas.
    Why do you guys want to see more Roy Lassiter, oops I mean Taylor Twellman. He falls to much is out of position to much (with USA) and has had opportuities to score with US and hasnt. I wouldnt mind seeing him pan out, but he's nothing more than Roy Lassiter, Conor Casey and Jason Kries.

17. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    You know what really, it is not the fault of these players that they get selected and played bad. It is the fault of Bruce Arena for selecting these players. >90% of Bigsoccer posters know that Armas, Olsen, Sanneh are worthless players for the Nats, but yet Bruce called in these players anyway. With all the young talents we have, wouldnt it be better to spend the time to get these young talents ready for the WC06 instead of wasting time on these has beens.

Sometimes Bruce's conservative management of the US team really baffles me. I thought he learned a lesson a while back during the time when we played against Jamaica in WCQ, or even after the WC02 when he stated that soccer is a game for young players. It is so frustrating to see Bruce just forgetting all the lessions that he had learned. Does he want to be Agoosed again?

18. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    I soooooooooooooo agree with this original post. I just hope BA gets a decent lineup for the playoffs, no more experimenting, lets win and win well

19. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    assuming that bruce doesn't call olsen, conrad, noonan, wolff, sanneh back..who does he replace them with?

olsen --> reyna
    conrad --> gibbs (who's probably gonna start anyway)
    noonan --> gaven (at least for the last few qualifiers + friendlies...if hes not ready for germany, fine leave him out. )
    wolff --> it's sad that we can't find a decent backup forward in all of america. i dont think cunningham will cut it...ching still injured, twellman?? at worst.. i think we should just leave wolff in there (as much as it pains me to say so)
    sanneh --> burciaga?

spector will need to spend time with his new (loaned) club... i dont know if he'll be getting called up anytime soon (in time for 06)

if eddie johnson does not get better soon, and stay healthy...we are in for a rude awakening come germany. EJ + mcbride is ok...mcbride + anyone else = :(

- edit: forgot armas...replace him with anyone...anyone at all

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman was injured when the roster was selected. I think that Arena's decision to leave him off was more of a "get back in playing shape" decision. Not a knock this time on his playing abilities.

21. J_Ibarra

Jul 5, 2005

...or maybe he is a genius we just cant figure. Why show your weapon right now? now that other countries are aware of our progress in football. So maybe Bruce is keeping our young talent a secret. ex. EJ (I know he is injured) just have a few games here and there then he scored bunch of goals, then the world of football knows. We can't surprise them like we did in WC02, if we're showing them off this early.

But in the end, I totally agree with you. Bruce should have used some young players in this tournament. We all know that, WC is just around the corner.

GO USA!

22. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Captain 10 is a good guy, but he takes the spaghetti analysis approach; let's throw whatever we can against the wall and see what sticks.

This particular piece of pasta just slide right down the wall right into a dust bunny.

23. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    Wanted : Forward who can score.

24. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Plus the fact that Arena also called up Noonan, Dempsey, and Ralston, and Reis if you want to count him. A Twellman callup would make the Revolution look a lot like their reserve team...

25. JRNoblin

JRNoblin Member

Jun 29, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Part of the problem with watching Olsen now is that we remember how he played as a young star on the rise with plenty of promise. That guy wasn't really at the level of a national team perennial starter, but he seemed sure to get there as he developed and reached the prime soccer-playing years for most guys. But the current Olsen is a mere shadow of the young Olsen. So if you think, as I do, that the young Olsen wasn't quite at the national starter level, it's hard to believe his shadow can do much for the team.