I think ESPN should try to get most of the international soccer tournaments back.

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by PJ234, Jun 15, 2024.

1. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    After this Mess with Fubo I'm really missed off with FOX. Espn gotta try and see if they can get these tournaments again.

ESPN should have World Cup, Uefa Euro, Copa America, Women's World Cup, Women's Euro, and then lastly Women's Copa America (ESPN Deportes)

Gold Cup should stay with FOX no one cares about that lmao

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt ESPN wants to pay for all of those rights. With four other TV companies (CBS/NBC/ESPN/WBD) all being active now in soccer broadcasting, I would find any of them better for these properties than Fox, but probably not all on ESPN.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The downside of more interest is that the companies are going to bid higher and higher every time...and guess what that does to our bills. (Although I just got a hell of a discount on U-Verse via the Office of the President, but I digress.) I'm sure Fox paid pennies for EPL on Fox Sports World, but that was also 20 years ago.

The upside, of course, is that there's a hell of a lot more on now. Remember when it was just 1-2 Bundesliga games per weekend? How many now? Every EPL game is live in the USA, as is every MLS game, MLS Next Pro, etc.

If stuff was on ESPN, we could probably say goodbye to a number of games on ABC. People would just complain about games being on ESPN+.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    You don't think ESPN wouldn't be most of these tournament games on ABC?

5. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst thing to ever happen to soccer in this country is Fox getting the broadcast rights to the World Cup Such a major downgrade in coverage and commentary from the ESPN days

Redbullsnation2012, Mikebsiu and BocaFan repped this.
  6. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I too view Fox as the worst of the US networks in covering soccer but unfortunately we're going to be stuck with them for the rest of the decade on big tournaments as they have the rights to the 2026 World Cup and Euro 2028.

7. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would much rather see CBS, NBC, and WBD take the rights to most soccer. The Mouse and the Fox can both go away forever.

8. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    Cbs might be broken up soon

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN figured out that TV channels should NOT be loud and bombastic when airing soccer. (Didn't Chris Berman do some soccer stuff or was that just a fear?)

At least we can go to the bars where the volume might not be audible or turn the volume down at home.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PJ234 repped this.
  11. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
  12. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I will say thanks to both tournaments going on at the same time, we've been spared Fox's usually crappy in-house announcers on the Euros as they've been assigned to Copa America.

Even Derek Rae is tolerable on the Euros as since these aren't Bundesliga matches he doesn't feel compelled to constantly use German words and phrases like a student over-eagerly trying to show the mastery of his subject.

Redbullsnation2012 and PJ234 repped this.