I really thought Phil was a different guy

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by dspence2311, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I really didn't think he'd leave in quite this way. He didn't seem like the kind of guy who would blindside the local people who went to bat for the Aztex. I don't see the logic or the ethics of keeping this all a secret and then suddenly folding up. If they had said from the start "we have to reach these milestones by end of year 2," then we would have understood. We wouldn't like it, but we'd understand.

They ran such a community-oriented organization, put a great product on the field, said all the right things, were nice to people (and accessible). Yet apparently for months now they had been planning this. Hard to fathom. And especially hard to fathom that Phil has not said word one to any of us.

I guess he's off to greener pastures (for now).

2. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    It would make little sense for Phil to make public his milestones (if he had them). How would the public react if it knows a certain milestone (or series of milestones) has been missed (possibly by wide margins)? My guess is that attendance would suffer greatly if the public knows that the Aztex would likely fold (or move) some time in the (near) future. While keeping the missed milestones private would not stop the Aztex from having to move, it would help the club to lose less money (due to reduced attendance). From the business stand point, it all makes sense.

3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I'll grant that it's a delicate walk, but I don't concede that it was handled as it should have been in this case. If you don't want to trust people with that sort of information (or at least a sense of it), then don't ask them to go above and beyond for you.

4. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Take this however you want to take it,
    but to me, it's just another example of why I don't trust rich people.

I see them like heavy-weight boxers, there's no friends, just people to knock out to be able to become the champion.