I really hate Chicago

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by diablodelsol, May 22, 2003.

1. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    So, I moved to Chicago in January.

In the past two weeks:

Someone ran into my parked car and took off, Someone broke into my apartment and stole my camera, checkbook and DVD player

Then another ********************* broke into my car last night, tried to steal my stereo that was bolted into its mount with a fcuking screwdriver, ruining the stereo and dash mount in the process.

Plus, the Fire play here. This town blows.

2. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Diablo this inspires me with so much hope. I'm moving to Chicago myself in August.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe a smaller town (columbus) is better.

:)

of course, it'll rain here all next week with the memorial tournament in town.

4. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Chicago is the best city in the U.S. It is growing faster than any other metropolitan area in the U.S. save LA. Jan Morris, who visited every major city in the world, said it is the best American city AND the best modern city on the planet.

5. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Jan Morris says so...

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Chicago is an overcrowded shithole. I have never enjoyed my experiences there. 3stripe will atest that my hatred for Chicago goes much deeper than the Fire.

But then again, I'm not Jan Morris...

7. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

Exactly WHERE in Chicago are you living?

8. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    So, which building of the Robert Taylor Homes are you living in?

9. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: I really hate Chicago

Exactly! I think it all depends on the neighborhood that you live in. Sure if you live on the southside or maybe certain parts of the Northside as well, you are going to run into gang or bad areas. Just do your research and get an alarm. Maybe its your car, was it that nice bmw i broke into last night???(jk) Get a beater thats the best thing to do.

10. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recommend locking the doors to your house and apartment........:D

As most of my friends from college (Xavier - Cincinnati, OH) say, "Chicago is the savior of the midwest." I lived in OH for 7 years, gimme Chicago!!

Once you get past the burgulary stage, the city is the best. Just sit out on Oak Street Beach in late June for 5 minutes and tell me you miss OH.

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Re: Re: I really hate Chicago

Bucktown

12. melloyello

melloyello Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Columbus
    Re: Re: Re: I really hate Chicago

sweet. don't own anything nice in chicago because if you do it'll get stolen or trashed. nice image. beat up any baseball coaches lately?

13. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: I really hate Chicago

Well Bucktown used to be a bad place to be say about 4-5 years ago. Although I hear it is getting much better, the last time I was over there there seemed to be a ton of new development. Try parking on the main streets. I think your summer here will be better than say the last 6 months or whatever its been, especially the beach.

14. melloyello

melloyello Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Columbus
    seven years to graduate from X? savior of the midwest? what do they feed you at comunion down there...

15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Well, Jan Michael Vincent says all that is true IF you relocate Chicago to the West Coast.

16. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon - Cinci? Total sh!+hole.

I prefer the Oval in Columbus.

I enjoyed Chicago when I lived there - except for the horrible traffic and even more horrible humidity (I lived in Palatine). I also didn't particularly enjoy being threatened when I went to Fire games - so, predictably, I didn't go to very many. My brother has an apartment on Wacker, and as near as I can tell he likes it. But, he sold his car after being there for just 2 weeks.

Is there as much stuff to do in Columbus? Of course not - there are nowhere near as many people. But there are still plenty of fun things to do in Columbus, and you don't have to pack heat at MLS matches either.

17. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'd love to do this. Problem is, I work in Westmont.

18. melloyello

melloyello Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Columbus
  19. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Damned Jesuits.

20. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Damned is right!

If you are going to be taught by Catholics, make sure it has the Marianist Seal of Approval.

Our Lady of the Rosary '91
    Chaminade-Julienne HS '95
    UD Class of '99

Grand total: 18 years of Catholic education

21. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Really? Wierd. I've never had or even seen any problems.

I live down in Hyde Park, an area that scares a lot of people because the population is mostly black. I love it down here--lots of trees and parks, right near the lake, and very safe (for a big city, that is). It's never nice to hear about people experiencing crime, but, for what it's worth, I've never met a single Hyde Park person who has had to deal with anything worse that panhandling in my neighborhood. Man people I know who live in the north side have had something stolen or been mugged.

22. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Being a Detroiter and Detroit sports fan, you can imagine my hatred for Chicago runs deep.

I remember sitting on the steps of one of the river side buildings downtown and watching dog-sized rats jump from shrub to shrub. Those fcuking things have a higher vert than half the Bulls.

And my ears bleed everytime my wife brings up a shopping trip there. Why bother? I should just send the city my wallet and save the trip.

23. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear about your recent misfortunes, but welcome to a big city. Honestly, it seems like you got a string of bad luck going. I have friends who live all over the city, including Bucktown who have rarely/never had issues. Few tips that friends have given me for my impending move into the city. Get a stereo with a removable face, more than 1 deadbolt is a good idea. Windows...not much you can do other than bar them up--not worth it. Hide valuables when you're not at home in very random places where a thief might not look. Other than that, there isn't much else you can do, but move to the burbs and commute. Don't let some very crappy experiences sour you on the city. There is much more good to be found here than bad.

Then move to Westmont. The rent is probably cheaper there than downtown, and there is less crime...sorta. There are several suburban towns around Westmont that offer decent apartments for good prices, and are a hell of a lot closer than Bucktown. Western Springs, Westmont, Downers Grove, Naperville...hell, even Clarendon Hills and Oak Brook have decently priced apartments (slightly higher than others listed).

25. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch, I'm sorry. ;)
    UD '03.