I NEED A LAWYERS HELP (for school)

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Eddie26, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I need a lawyers help...are any online?? Nicephoras, Blackjack, Yossarian? ? ?

ANYONE!?!?

I need to get definitions of the following terms:

State Action
    Doctrine of Interposition
    Equity Power of Courts
    Stream of Commerce

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    state action? I'd have to know the context to be more specific but generally state action means a law enacted by a state legislature or executive act or judicial act undertaken by the state government. The normal context where this is relevant is when one is discussing 14th Amendment jurisprudence. In other words the 14th Amendment guarantees due process and equal protection against/with regard to any "state action." Which is why the 14th Amendment wasn't the vehicle used to guarantee desegregation of restaurants, hotels, etc. These are not state actors, so the 14th Amendment doesn't apply to them. Instead Congress used their commerce clause power to desegregate private businesses.

Interposition is the idea that a state is sovereign even vis a vis the federal government and can reject a mandate of the federal government. The doctrine originated out of Chisholm v. Georgia and the aftermath when Georgia thumbed it's nose at the Supreme Court's decision in that case and refused to recognize it. Needless to say this is more of a historical doctrine and not anything that is common today. The overwhelming majority of Supreme Court decisions have been accepted by the states even if at times they do so begrudgingly.

Equity power of the courts is another term I'd have to know the exact context to give you a meaningful answer. Historically, courts were divided into common law courts and equity courts with very separate jurisdictions for each. The equitable power of a court now just means the court's ability to do justice....not necessarily that bound by actual common law or legal rules. Common examples of equity power now would be the ability of the court to issue an injunction (fancy word meaning telling someone to STOP doing something). Another example is specific performance....which in the context of contract law means forcing the breaching party to finish their end of the bargain.....as opposed to making them pay money damages.

Stream of commerce. Again context would be helpful. Legal scholars argue all the time about what constitutes stream of commerce and what doesn't. Generally it means putting ones products or services out there for sale, into the stream of commerce. In the legal context, it's often used to determine if a state has jurisdiction over a company from another state.....usually they will if that company's product through the stream of commerce ended up in the state exercising jurisdiction.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful.

3. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    When I graduate next semester I'll thank you. If I ever make it to Georgia, a night of beers on me. This class is KILLING ME. (Race and the US Constitution, those terms were what I think will be some of the terms on the final to identify and I am really ify in this class. Thank you.)

If knowing that this is a racial law class changes anything, let me know!

Reps for the Gooner.

4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

I think everything you have from above is pretty accurate. I think the law/equity distinction is easiest to think of in terms of damages--legal damages are always money, equity is pretty much anything else. As far as the business about the stream of commerce goes, because this is a Race/Con Law class, watch for mentions of the Commerce Clause of the Const., as that might really be the focus of what you are reading.

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. Knowing that the class is on race and the law.....I'll stick with my state action answer. Obviously the 14th Amendment was one of the Civil Rights amendments passed after the end of the Civil War with the hope that it would provide newly freed blacks with rights in the face of opposition that was sure to come from the states who had previously enslaved them. But as I said previously, the 14th Amendment only applies to state action, not private action. Now the legal realists disputed that there should really be a distinction between the two.....but I won't bore/confuse you with discussing Roscoe Pound, Karl Llewellyn, et al.

Interposition....in the context of your class probably has to do with the southern states threatening to ignore Supreme Court civil rights decisions/desegregation. Ross Barnett of Mississippi trying to block integration of Ole Miss comes to mind. Eisenhower sending the National Guard to Little Rock to make sure Arkansas complied, etc.

I'll stick by what I said about equity. Obviously a court issuing an order telling a school district it could no longer segregate is an equitable remedy.....as opposed to a purely legal remedy like giving the suing black parents money damages.

Stream of commerce still seems odd to me in the context of which you speak. But it seems like it must be dealing with Congress's commerce clause power....as I mentioned....which was the power under which Congress passed the 1960's Civil Rights acts. Because hotels, lunch counters, private bus companies weren't state actors, Congress had to find another way to force desegregation. So based on their commerce clause power, they passed laws saying segregation was illegal. The question begged was....How does a little barbecue joint in Alabama affect interstate commerce to the extent commerce is justified in regulating it. (real case btw....Katzenbach v. McClung) SCOTUS said Congress could do so because the grain for the bread may have come from Kansas, or the tomatos in the sauce (hopefully not mustard based) came from California.....therefore even a little barbecue joint in Podunk Alabama was part of the stream of commerce and could be regulated by Congress....and forced to desegregate.

Hope that makes a little more sense.

6. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I love how he doesn't go to class all semester and comes running to the boards to bail him out. How funny that another Gooner is getting him out of a school jam, only they didn't give him a paper this time!

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Excuse me!! The class that I attended today for the first time since September was American State and Local Politics...and I got an A in it smart ass!! This is the Temple University Secondary Ed Program!!! Not that remedial Ed grad school thing you're in.

8. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Shush you, that paper you provided me only got a C+.

Thanks a lot!

9. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Thanks for the compliment, I guess, but I'm no lawyer. I'm an undergrad, undecided major.

10. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Whatever happened to primary research, thinking for yourself and high academic standards? PPppffffttt ;)

How do you source your paper?

<o ="">Y</o>ossarian (2005). The I need the Help of a Lawyer Project. Retrieved December 15, 2005, from www.bigsoccer.com <o =""></o>

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure that conforms to proper Blue Book standards for legal citations.....but it'll do.

:D

p.s. there's a typo in my comment on legal realism....legal realists argued that there should NO distinction between private and state actors.

;)

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

This was just for a test review, not a paper. I'm good at writing papers...taking notes, I suck.

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Thanks for helping out the Chelsea fans Yoss. ;)
    I'm in London and in the office, so couldn't really see this until this morning. Plus, I couldn't for the life of me remember what Interposition was, even if Chisholm suddenly brought some memories back.
    If you ever need legal structured finance assistance though............

P.S. phishy, old chum, as they say in the movies, I see dead people. Or in this case, deleted posts. :) Do keep that in mind. :)

14. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i know nice... i just felt as if my attempt at sarcasm would of been taken poorly by not only you, but others... no hard feelings. :)

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I get jokes.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yes, sarcasm, that's what it was. :rolleyes:

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    This one wasn't funny.

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I saw the post. You forget, I opened this thread. I hit refresh every 30 seconds hoping you or Yoss would respond.

(My "get jokes" comment was from a classic Simpsons episode.)

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Ah, OK then. Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but Yoss gave a more complete answer than I could have anyway.

20. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yoss cemented my B in that class. Whew.

Here's a question, I studied for about 12 hours yesterday for that thing and then I am taking the final and the girl in front of me is cheating the whole time, flipping through her notes...I worked hard for my B, do I rat her out??

21. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    lawyers suck.

what would you gain in that Ed?? it has no effect on you..

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    no. what goes around, comes around.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Are you asking me as a lawyer, or as a human being? ;)

24. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Re: lawyers suck.

Besides the whole integrity spiel...which in some cases is hypocritical of me!

It kind of does though. This Prof. is a d*ck and a tough grader. Say my exam in normal terms is a C and her cheated one is an A, might me below average exam become a D? Maybe he'll think, see some of these kids get it so my paper which was a C before should really be a D in those terms.

25. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D :D