To hate VAR or to hate the LOTG? That is the question [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "Correct call...silly rule". Rebecca Lowe, half time of Sheffield Utd - Tottenham...:confused:;)

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soft pen given in Liverpool - City match... don't think I've ever seen VAR repeal a call that was this 50/50.
    Different ref might not even call the pen, and maybe that decision doesn't get changed by VAR either.
    Tough one.

3. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's always tough when the player (in the case Sterling) fouls the defender first (with a handful of his shirt) and then "dives" for the pen during the wrestle...

Later in the game, TAA was completely shoved off the ball by Mahrez, but did not go down - and the ref let it go...only to have City end up with the ball in the back of the net...

So...is it better to fall over when you're fouled - or to play the game?...in both these cases it proved it would be better to fall over (twice in the pen-call and again in the TAA/Mahrez no call)...

SamScouse repped this.
  4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The answer almost overwhelmingly -- when there's contact -- is it's better to fall over. Unfortunately.

5. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep , stay on yer feet and probably don't get the call.

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red on Nketieh in Arse-Foxes match... brutal challenge, looks like a pretty fair decision to me. Not given by refs, but is after VAR review.

Leicester equalizer would have been offside if it made contact with Perez (JUST offside for initial pass) but he was ruled to not touch it and it goes through to Vardy, who's havin a party. Looked like the correct call, refs would have given it without VAR anyways.

1-1, 8 mins added due to injury & VAR reviews.
    Foxes might steal this...

7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    both correct call from what I saw.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on twitter saying Perez made contact... I didn't see it but it was close and if he did it should have taken away the goal.

Looked like he just missed the ball, for me.

delaynomo repped this.
  9. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Could be argued that, if he was involved in the play (which he was - even though he missed the ball, he certainly lunged for it), and if he were in an off-side position (questionable - and not confirmed by any of the angles they showed on the TV), that Perez should have been ruled offside...my take on it was that he was not in an offside position "when the ball was played"...and yeah - he certainly "just missed the ball"

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear and/or didn't have this quite right...

Perez was onside for original ball in, as was Vardy.
    The check was to verify that, but also to see if Perez touched the ball when Vardy was offside, which he was.
    Ruling was not only that he wasn't offside initially, but that he didn't touch the ball.
    Thus, Vardy and Perez were both onside for initial pass... and thus the goal stood.

Whether or not Perez was "involved" through a lunge, while debatable (due to the specific definition of interference) is irrelevant, as he was ruled to be onside.

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I looked hard for Perez touching the ball. It wasn’t through lack of trying on his part. I didn’t see it though.
    CB, I don’t think the question was Perez offside. I believe it was if Perez touched it then Vardy was offside.

edit. Hobo you must have been posting while I was writing :) Virtually same conclusion. :)

EruditeHobo repped this.
  12. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ah - yes...got it..."if" Perez touched ball and then Vardy scores, it's essentially a "pass" to Vardy from Perez, and Vardy was, by then, offside...But no touch from Perez, so Vardy was not offside...
    (sheesh - can ya'll copy that?!)

thanks boys! :thumbsup:

usscouse and EruditeHobo repped this.
  13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunate side effect of the new handball rule came into play for Bmouth - Spurs:

Overhead kick which would have gone in with NO other interference happened to deflect off another attacker's hand on way to goal.
    Refs didn't see it I don't think (game is on mute)... VAR reviewed and was forced to take it away.
    Bournemouth also seemed to get messed up by the ref earlier, who didn't allow advantage on a foul in midfield which resulted in a goal...
    But that isn't really VAR related, obviously.

Too bad for Bournemouth, I know people have issue with these but I have no problem with goals that touch attackers' hands in the attacking phase coming off the board. They also had a good chance near the start of stoppage time, might have been Wilson I think... but Lloris rushed out and saved. Would have been a massive 3 points if they could have snatched them.

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was actually a tremendous save by Lloris on a very nice attempted chip by Wilson... he really saved a point for Spurs by closing down Wilson and a great reaction to swat away the ball.

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalty call for United in ManU - Villa... Ref and VAR agree, foul was just inside area, contact looks kind of incidental to me but this kind of thing is probably going in attacker's favor most of the time, even though Fernandes went to ground pretty easily looking for the call.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joke of a call. The ManU player drives at the defender, rakes across his leg with his studs, falls down and RECEIVES a penalty. English reffing is simply the worst.

speker and newterp repped this.
  18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    horrible. He never touched Fernandez.

speker repped this.
  19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Unless the attacker is wearing a Liverpool kit.

21. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I always thought that the advent of video replays would help officials correct mis-calls like this . Man was I wrong .

[​IMG]

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy goes in strongly and gets no ball... this is going the attacker's way a lot of the time IMO.
    The prem has set such a high bar so these rarely get overturned...

Next season, they will probably force ref to use the monitor, and this might be taken away. In real time though, not surprising this gets called. Looks without slo-mo like the defender was totally fooled on a roulette and clattered into the guy.

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is - he didn't get any of the attacker either - instead Fernandes stepped on him.

I know I know - the argument is that the attacker had to jump to avoid getting injured, but I don't think that's what happened here.

I look forward to when and if the media decides to label Bruno a diver.

Wingtips1 and speker repped this.
  24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #499 SamScouse, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Per bbc football ... in today's 3 games:

Manu awarded a pen by VAR
    - PL now says that was incorrect

Soton awarded a pen by VAR
    - PL now says that was incorrect

Spurs not awarded a pen by VAR
    - PL now says that was incorrect.

Zero for 3. You really couldn't make this shit up!

I look forward to Hobo's pretzel-shaped rationalizations.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The only thing I would say is that every defender gets into tugging situations, and there's a general laxness to the refereeing of it. But if you hang on to someone for as long as Gomez did to Sterling then you must realize that you are now in 75-25 % land when it comes to the ref. Not 50-50 anymore .... and you have no-one to blame but yourself.

Wingtips1 and delaynomo repped this.