To hate VAR or to hate the LOTG? That is the question [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR corrected missed pen for City... foul happened in a flash and because of that pundits and twitter are still upset about VAR, but honestly if you’re arguing about a clear (if quick) foul in the box that’s happening in a rout, why side are you even on? Mistimed challenge, sure, unlucky on the defender even, sure... but obvious foul and clear penalty, if the ref sees it from the right angle.

Anti-VAR in this specific case seems to be saying “some things which are hard to see but are obvious when it comes to the rules should be ignored”... and I’d love to see the proposal for how you write that up and enshrine it into the laws of the game.

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad handball missed in LFC match... you’d want VAR to catch those, just as you’d want the ref to catch those.

Good news is the handball rule gets much more specific next season and there’s no way that doesn’t get called at that point. The plausible deniability of “intent” still just barely protecting Cahill in this specific case.

3. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep , I was surprised that it wasn't reviewed and given. Looked a stone cold pen to me.

SamScouse and delaynomo repped this.
  4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Virgil also get into a tussle with Cahill and Sakho on a. Or we, was held from behind... but VAR doesn’t often get involved in these situations.

They need addressing through rule, like handball. Imo.

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As I said a long time ago, referees don't call things that they see plainly sometimes. I'm fairly sure they saw that, and knew it to be a clear and obvious error, but just didn;t bother their arses to create a controversy by interfering in.

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a pretty shitty unprofessional ref that would do such a thing... doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Didn't you say at the outset that they shouldn't be involved in these types of things. I know that the very first anti-point I saw in VAR would be if they have to address corner kick fouling. Every instance is a foul or possible foul requiring closer look definition. God help us if they start addressing that.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There are some tjhings that you wouldn;t expect refs to catch, like the situation in the Sheffield game the other day, but this one. Have to assume they had to see that clearly... and didn;t want to make it part of their remit...

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Refs miss things all the time though. We don’t always assume they are making an effort to avoid involving themselves out of fear for some controversy.

If that were true they would be weeded out of the professional ranks... there have processes of review to guard against incompetency of all kinds.

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    And there in lies the rub. VAR is still one individual watching telly. One individual with different ideas and different thoughts on how he sees things. li wonder how many other refs would have backed up the city game to give a pk that nobody else noticed in passing.
    It’s not like auto correct on you phone. He takes a sip of tea and steams up his glasses. He find a speck of dirt under a fingernail. He’s human with all the foibles.
    One ref and a monitor!
    WE don’t trust some refs on the pitch (Mike Riley) why are they anymore trustworthy off the pitch.

just sayin. :)

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    VAR is back. What fun.

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the answer to your question is that generally because people want to do their job and are held to that standard by the system... so if they are doing a profoundly poor job, these refs/officials, they get fired or phased out of the professional ranks.

Why would we want this flash moment ruled as a pen? I think because it's a foul. Just because a foul in the box happens in an instant and is hard to recognize by officials doesn't mean it's not a foul, right? I think to be fair to both players and fans, when play results in these moments, in which a defender cleats someone's ankle (even if it was hard to see) the refs should be doing their job and upholding the rules, because that's in the interest of fairness.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally a missed call by the ref which is fixed by VAR might have just finally directly solidified the title for Liverpool. You cannot make this up.

Red Bird repped this.
  14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LIVARPOOL! LIVARPOOL!

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So this doesn't warrant being shown from every angle with electronic lines and angles? Fans don't get to see how the determination was made that this was in fact onside?[​IMG]

But this went through 3 minutes of review and was farcically decided to be offside?

[​IMG]

The FA wants united in the CL and will break rules in order to make it happen. Prove me otherwise.

usscouse repped this.
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    give Hobo a minute, his excuse for this one's gonna require an extra cup of coffee ....

Wingtips1 and usscouse repped this.
  17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ball was a yard out about 20 seconds before this - blatantly missed by the linesman as well.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    maybe conventional wisdom is all wrong. officials actually do need crowds - to do their job right. :)

19. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The excuse will be...the player keeping the ManU player on side is on the far side of the pitch - and measuring accurately is more difficult...while Firmino is right next to the defender and his shoulder...I mean "armpit" is easier to measure...or something like that...:rolleyes:

20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    FYP

CB-West repped this.
  21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR is just struggling the last two days. Now in the Chelski game West Ham score and it’s trying to say that a knee is ...... ah ******** it. You have to see this one to understand.

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only use the rules everyone has agreed upon... either way in this example, the actual replay in real time showed the far defender keeping him on... was a good goal and Shaw wasn't offside. If they're going to adjust the armpit/chest offside calls, I'm still waiting for a good rule change which can eliminate these scenarios from being held to the same standard as any other offside.

This Shaw incident doesn't even really matter, the ref would have allowed it with or without VAR right?

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is admittedly a weird one, but you need a rule change to actually address it; the guy was clearly impacting play and part of body was in offside position. Pretty clear cut as far as rules go, so much so Kepa complained immediately.

Now if they changed the rule to "the part of body that is deemed offside must be the part affecting goalkeeper", the goal would have stood I think.

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really - it looks like Shaw is well offside even using the defender at the top of the screen. The surprise to me is why they didn’t want to give us the magic adjustable lines to show it.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I think that’s probably right.

EruditeHobo repped this.