To hate VAR or to hate the LOTG? That is the question [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today in LFC match, first goal against Wilson seemed pretty clearly to foul Gomez to get to the ball, but was actually an instance — as mentioned during the broadcast — of the ref deciding it wasn’t a foul and essentially dismissing VAR. So, arguably a bad call, but under the rules refs can dismiss VAR.

Mane dove for a pen late in the game, pretty clear, VAR rightly gave nothing in agreement with the ref.

Ake looked a fraction offside for a late chance by Bournemouth but Wilson completely screwed up the chance by getting ball stuck under his feet, and they didn’t score. Would have been interesting if they had converted, I suspect we would have been subjected to another armpit offside if they’d actually taken a look at it. Either way, no goal so no need for VAR; no harm no foul in this particular case.

2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Man - your perspective is beyond acute about this kind of rubbish..... (that's a kind of compliment, I suppose....)

by the way, I bolded the best thing you've ever said!!! ;)

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems a fairly acute discussion to begin with.

4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Incidentally it took me all of about 3 or 4 days after Hobo suggested keeping out of alleyways in SF to come upon this delightful sight.... I just forgot to send it to e-mail to snip it here ....

One of SF's many little "alleyways" known as Mission Street!!
    Delightful....
    CoronaVirus is gonna be helll here - if you can't even get them to be sanitary at this level....

upload_2020-3-10_14-44-32.png

Attached Files:

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Also -Having a few late night minutes to while away… to musingly (or amusingly) answer this stuff…..

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I personally don’t care what your disinterest level is re: VAR — if you want to know what you’re talking about, read and understand what they are going for with the principles/laws. If not... well hey, do whatever you want!

I don’t understand your point about clarification within the rules... if you complain about refs interpretations, which you’ve done a lot in this thread, you can’t then call for them to not assist the refs with tech and rule changes in order to increase the chance they do a better job. That’s inconsistent and when you hold those two positions it’s confusing.

That contradiction is part of the reason why specification is better, in terms both of fans understanding the calls and also even refs calling the game... specificity leads to clearer standards. Which is why that’s exactly the direction they’re going in — did you see the new handball law going into effect next season?? Because once it goes in, in two years they’ll have gone from “handballs should be deliberate”, whatever that means, to 1. “any ball which comes off an attackers arm cannot directly result in a goal” and 2. “handball can only result from contact with arms beyond the line drawn by the uniform sleeve”. Specific af, means clearer for refs and for fans.

Also if you could give me an example of “real inference” which somehow excludes what Sigi does in the example we are talking about, I’d love to hear it! Because bringing up something else which isn’t specifically defined, like the token phrase you’ve used here, doesnt clearly illustrate any problem with the current rules as far as I can tell.

7. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    short sleeve or long sleeve?

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The prem has the ability to do away with VAR in order to finish the season more easily/quickly! Supposedly it is unlikely they will do so, but it’s one of the powers afforded by the latest IFAB decision.

They also can use 5 subs a match, but only have 3 substitution windows.

These rule changes do not apply to any season competition that doesn’t complete before December 31, 2020.

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys... it’s been a long wait, and I know we all forgot how much we loved this thread, and on that note I have great news:

We are BACK IN BUSINESS!!!!

[​IMG]

Wingtips1, el-capitano and newterp repped this.
  11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #361 EruditeHobo, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    RBL v Frieburg match... very close offside in stoppage time. Initially given which would have meant Freiburg stole the 3 pts at the end. VAR review took it away.

Looks like a good call to me but is somewhat related to the much moaned-about “armpit offside”. More clear than a couple of the very close toe and shoulder offsides that have been called in the prem.

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didnt you like how fast they decided?

EruditeHobo repped this.
  13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they are clearly better at this than the prem... are they equally fast on the super close calls is the question? I just don’t watch BL enough to know.

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very happy to have some weekend matches back... I hope players/staff don’t get sick and they can keep this going.

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern match... ball headed back across goal to Muller I think, he was Just ahead of the ball and this another close call ruled out by VAR.

Seemed like a close but correct call.
    Didn’t take too long, not much longer than an ordinary (with fans/celebrations) goal, celebration, restart.

16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a very good call. Look really offside in realtime and the replay - the VAR view showed it was closer than it looked.

17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, looked more obvious in real time which was weird.

Not sure to credit this as “officials got this one wrong and VAR fixed it”... BL linespeople could just be better re: holding their flags and letting VAR sort it out.

The Freiburg goal seemed like it would have stood if not for VAR, but it’s hard to say.

18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wolfsburg absolutely hosed by the ref reviewing an on-field incident and giving a red card to Klaus.
    Absolute sh*te call - the players came together, the defender slips in ahead of Klaus and his foot lands directly on the defender in the natural course of his progression movement.
    The decision should be rescinded by the administrators.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just coming to post about this, it’s a really tough call. Looks kind of like he’s not even looking at the opponent, seems very plausible it was 100% accidental... but that’s the system! Give the ref a 2nd look at he was convinced it was too dangerous. I think this is more an outright ref error, not sure why he was so convinced by the replay.

I feel like it won’t be rescinded just because of the specific circumstances... but we will see.

20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US youngster Adams had some incidental contact in the box against Paderborn... ref didn’t give it, VAR didn’t give it, looked like it would have been a quite harsh pen.

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bauer - Bayern, another close offside... taken away by linesman/ref, granted by VAR. Gives Bauer opening goal.

Looks a fair enough call for me, but no one being reasonable would throw a huge fit either way. Very close.

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #372 newterp, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    The Sheffield - Aston Villa game......WHAT THE ********???

That's 2 points lost towards a CL position for Sheff, and 1 pt to AV gained to avoid relegation.

Catastrophic. Diabolical. Unbelievable.

(I understand that HawkEye must share some blame here).

Wingtips1 repped this.
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Couldn't agree more. "Best league in the world" looking like incompetent amateurs.

24. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    This one falls into the category of You Cant. Make This Sh*t Up. Complete cluster. Blades have every right to be livid.

25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should be pissed off... but it’s a freak occurrence, can’t plan for things like this I don’t think. There’s a reason it’s happened 1 time in 9000 incidents, so the man said.

beach ball 2.0