To hate VAR or to hate the LOTG? That is the question [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easy enough to do that, I guess, but I imagine that they don't look too hard at the clear-cut ones.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Almost. They certainly didn’t think of the delays, controversy and negative feed back.
    But they’re not likely to ditch it, yet. They have too much invested and they’ll never admit a mistake.

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The citeh-leicester game was a farce.
    Praet is (correctly) called for a handball and citeh given a penalty (which Aguero, on cue, missed).
    [​IMG]
    Leicester free kick and de Bruyne throws his arms into the air while standing in the wall and blocks the ball - no penalty. I simply cannot fathom how that wasn't given. You're in the bloody wall, you know the ball is coming toward you in some way - why in the world would you put your hands up like that?
    [​IMG]

usscouse repped this.
  4. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep - that one was curious...one could argue that the distance between Praet and the shot from Gundogan was "minimal" and Praet was actually going for the ball...not much time to react to pull his arm away...and the ball strikes his arm...

DeBruyn is in the wall - ten yards from the shot...he knows the ball is coming...he raises his hands and the ball strikes his hand...how is that not called a handball?

Perhaps the ref was too preoccupied with those missile-pop kits the Citizens were wearing...:rolleyes:

usscouse and Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If the VAR review very quickly shows there are no issues, there's not any reason to bring it up?

6. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "very quickly" is the key phrase...if it takes longer than a few seconds, then, in my opinion, it is not "clear and obvious"

Wingtips1 and usscouse repped this.
  7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    There was definitely an issue, they just missed it. That's why I put up the photo. It was close but look offside to me. But no mention.

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    In the Lester one The comm sarcastically says "What is Praet supposed to do with his arm, amputate it?" For the Citeh one he asks what was the difference.
    Same as everyone else.... but the clown watching on TV giving game and season changing decisions.

Get it right or better yet. Don't bother at all.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  9. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Haven't seen it other than your photo. But Hobo said onside?

10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Ah well. That’s it then.

11. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm assuming he saw a conclusive camera angle.

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean... it was just clearer in HD, on the live replay. That specific linked image linked in this thread however looks like a Polaroid of a ‘83 zenith tube TV.

With the insight given by images of THAT quality, we might as well base our belief in Sasquatch on a blurry handicam home movie of Bigfoot trudging through a campsite.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There imo are a bunch of outs within the rules to possibly discount the KDB handball. But all they need is to uphold the refs decision... no handball call without VAR, highly interpretive and subjective language around the law itself... could go either way? Play on.

As for the Praet call... the only clearer version of handball is Luis Suarez literally batting the ball off the line to prevent a goal. He made himself bigger and ball hit his extended elbow, no one around him, intent doesn’t matter at all... that’s literally within the rules of what is defined as handball. Doesn’t get much more obvious than that, IMO.

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1231658051503042560 is not a valid tweet id

15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Hobo has spoken. It must be so.

I’ve yet to see Var wrong in “his” eyes.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #316 usscouse, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    That photo of the offside is rubbish at that angle.

But if you say so. :rolleyes:

Reading your comments supporting var is a lot like trump saying he has a terrific health plan.

17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #317 EruditeHobo, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    And you sound like a flat earther... “that image of the Earth you’ve just shown me is fake!”

That’s not the crispest image but seems to show him somewhat clearly onside... what’s wrong with the “angle”? Seems to support exactly what the comms said during the match, Martials hand was offside but the rest of him, while it is a close call, appears on. Do I need to go get a screen grab from the actual HD footage to show the same thing?

If you think I’ve never said a bad thing about VAR you’re not paying attention that well... but I’ll admit it probably gets lost in the times I’m just repeating the purpose of VAR, because of how often it’s forgotten or ignored in this thread.

The most frustrating thing is the fact that this flies in the face of what people in this thread have been bitching about, do the anti-VAR people want these very close calls to stand as goals, or not?? You’re complaining just to complain, anything that gets a look and is a close call is just automatically thrown in a bin labeled “VAR bullshit” without a lot of thought as to what VAR is trying to do. As this example shows with no clear image of a part of Martial which can score a goal that’s beyond the defender, you can’t have it both ways.

18. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In the pic showing Martial's foot offside ........... his foot is literally 4x the size of any other feet in the pic. :ROFLMAO:

EruditeHobo repped this.
  19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Another long winded repetitive diatribe of how nobody but you understands what var is trying to do. We know what it’s trying to do and wish it was more accurate more timely and less interruptive to the game.
    I’ve mentioned camera angles and perspective which seems like I’m talking in Klingon to you by saying I’m complaining for the sake of complaining.
    Here’s a simple example a fifth grader would understand. I hope you can.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...chelsea-provide-alternative-camera-angle/amp/

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #321 EruditeHobo, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    I'm not arguing that isn't an incredibly tight call... but once again, you're not really engaging with what I'm saying or what VAR is doing. I'll say it again, because I know a 5th grader can understand this.

- VAR does not even attempt to get every single call correct
    - VAR most clearly eliminates all obvious bad calls, which exist through human error if not for VAR
    - Incredibly close calls will always exist, with or without VAR

I mean, moving the goalposts and now talking about a DIFFERENT close offside call is evidence you aren't looking at this in the right way... no offense.

The fact that you think of that post of mine as some diatribe that people aren't capable of understanding is a big part of the problem. You aren't really engaging with what VAR is doing, or what I'm saying about VAR. Now obviously I admit that another part of the problem is I don't let things go, and can be verbose... everyone in here knows that, by now. But that said, for the most part what I'm saying is pretty clear.

VAR has within it an admission that it provides stoppages and arrests play/momentum. So it IS doing what it says it's trying to do. That doesn't mean it can't do it better! Literally no one thinks the system is perfect. But the point I've been making over and over, is that it is doing exactly what it outlined that it would do. That is a fact. But I haven't really seen evidence that you're engaging with the realities of what that means with regarding to the rules themselves.

There you go, another "diatribe" you'll dismiss out of hand.

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #322 EruditeHobo, Feb 27, 2020
    The fact that you're linking to media bullshit by Chelsea is pretty funny. Because who gives a shit what Sarri has to say about this play? He's lying. He pointed to an image of a very very close call saying "he's obviously offside in this image"... uh, no he's ********ing not! It's an incredibly close call. It's not "obviously" anything, unless you're trying to push or perpetuate a media-driven agenda. So ******** Sarri. VAR ruled on it the best they could, and I'll remind you VAR does not guarantee 100% results on these calls. Why? Because it's impossible!

Oh, and here we are again, bitching about an incredibly close offside call which ALLOWED a goal! I thought we were supposed to be bitching about incredibly close calls which denied goals?

You can't have it both ways, especially because within the protocol of VAR it says it's not going to be perfect because it's basically ********ing impossible!

Maybe if I use some more bold and italics this shit will finally sink in.
    There's another "diatribe" for you.

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Blah blah blah “I’m right, you don’t understand.”

”You can't have it both ways, especially because within the protocol of VAR it says it's not going to be perfect because it's basically ********ing impossible!”

Then why t f are we using it?

Stop shouting. :) :)

EruditeHobo repped this.
  24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #324 usscouse, Feb 27, 2020
    Ok, I’ll write this slower. You don’t seem to be able to follow when it comes to angles and perspective. Perhaps if you have a grandson who could help.
    No offense. I joke.

My post wasn’t so much about Chelsea or Sarri. It’s not even about the offside. It was to try and help you when I said a different angle of view will give you a different perspective and possibly a different result. It needs lots and lots of work.

So stop talking about “protocol” I know it’s not perfect. It’s barely any good at all

Then thinking that the more words you use and the more you repeat yourself in one post gives you any more credibility. It really doesn’t.

I know that unfortunately VAR is likely to be with us for a while. A couple of law tweaks might have been better.

25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys aren’t fighting about the same things - I’m almost sure. It’s like the Naby Keita comedy.

burning247 repped this.