To hate VAR or to hate the LOTG? That is the question [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Exactly my thought watching the game. I still don't get it. :confused:

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So In other words it would have been a better game without the wrong call and annoyance from Var.

I’d say it was about time to end this farce.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Was reading on Twatter that (apparently) it doesn't matter if the pass was backward IF the person receiving the pass was ahead of the ball. Therefore, his trailing shoe being in an offside position got him off before he could come back and get the pass.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wolves captain Conor Coady insists referees and players remain baffled by VAR after another controversial decision went against his team.

Nuno Espírito Santo’s side were held to a goalless draw by 10-man Leicester on Friday evening after Willy Boly’s goal was disallowed. The defender’s first-half header was chalked off after a video review showed Pedro Neto’s ankle to be offside in the build-up. It was the second time this season Wolves had seen a goal ruled out by VAR against Leicester after Leander Dendoncker’s strike in the 0-0 draw on the opening day of the season was also disallowed.
    “I don’t think the referees know what’s going on and we don’t know what’s going on,” said Coady. “We should have won the game, it’s as simple as that, but we don’t understand the decision, I don’t think many people understand the decision, but it’s been made and that’s twice against Leicester now this season. We felt it was cruel at their place as well. I don’t want to speak about VAR too much. I’ve spoken about it before and it doesn’t really get you anywhere.”

(I know how you feel, mate)

B.A. repped this.
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo says VAR is making players reluctant to celebrate and "in danger of becoming robots" following Willy Boly's disallowed goal in Friday's 0-0 draw with Leicester.

B.A. repped this.
  6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    some comments about the Wolves VAR decision from fans ....

• Had that 'goal' been scored in Germany, Italy or the Champions League it would have stood. VAR isn't the problem, common sense, or lack of it, is.
    • I thought the rule for offside by the way was "interfering with play", how is someone that is a minute fraction offside, by the side of the pitch "interfering with play"???
    • This is not football. Is that system calibrated? If you showed 100 neutral fans that play and asked if it was offside, even in slow motion, not a single one would call it offside.
    • That is offside but it doesn't half kill the mood. There should be half a foot allowance for decisions not caught in build up and made in hindsight. Obviously last man should stay rigid if caught.
    • This is Exhibit A of the case against VAR. And I speak as someone who basically likes it.
    • I am a neutral but absolute joke to have that wolves goal disallowed. Absolutely pathetic. If it was offside it was only by millimeters if that. Decisions like that are ruining football
    • Don't worry about over spending and financial doping. That heel being half a centimetre off side is what football law makers really care about.

B.A. and usscouse repped this.
  7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    All valid points. This regimented and rigid farce is fkn up the game.
    The game revolves around Var now and the post game conversation is not how well a team played, or didn’t. It’s how Var stole the heart out of it.
    Someone scores now and everything stops and all eyes turn to the ref and the big screen.

They’ve invested so much money and time into it, they’re going to force it in more.
    The only people who seem like it are gamers.

Wingtips1, SamScouse and B.A. repped this.
  8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #283 EruditeHobo, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    I have answered this — even if I said he’s gained no realistic measurable advantage, that doesn’t matter. Because you can be in offside position and not gaining advantage.

the simple answer is he’s gained the advantage of NOT having come back into onside position, but still been able to play the ball in a lead up to a goal for his side. Because to play the ball you need to be onside. That’s an advantage that other attackers do not get just because it’s a close call.

What do you mean? I said I’m FOR it, how does that equate to dismissing it?

Youre missing my point, which is that it doesn’t actually solve the specific arguments people have with VAR. Nothing does. Thats the nature of the offside rule with video replay, that’s what I’ve been trying to say.

But in the aggregate it’s still an okay change considering how this season has unfolded in terms of reaction to close offside calls.

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #284 EruditeHobo, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Chelsea United match VAR:

1. Red card ruling on Magiire sticking a boot out, would have been maybe the softest straight red I’ve ever seen. VAR doesn’t give it.

2. Azip push rules out tying goal by Chelsea... honestly the commentators were throwing fits over this, which is really mind boggling because a handful of weeks ago they were throwing fits about “clear obvious” contract/pushing in the box on set pieces NOT being called... either way Azpi gets some contact in the back and then seems to full out push Williams out of the way. Ball ends up in the net. Doesn’t really seem crazy to me, don’t push people over with both hands or it may get called.

that said if they were to rule on this by saying “Fred made big contact with Azpi too” and just let the goal stand I’d understand. Think the optics of Azpi literally pushing a guy with both hands looks bad tho.

3. Giroud about a foot or so offside on his goal, VAR correctly ruled it out by the rules.

The last example is really interesting, because it’s a scenario in which the call will look worse under the new proposed rules, in which there’s a 10cm line (which puts Giroud closer to being onside) and I almost guarantee people would be whining about it more if the 10cm change goes through. But either way he was offside and tho cruel to Chelsea, who don’t deserve to be down 2-0, it was pretty clear using current system.

10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was less soft than Son's red card that they just showed. Annoucers in studio said red at half-time, said red at full-time and then were outright laughing at Maguire lying about how he was just naturally trying to straighten his leg out. Straight red in this day and age of VAR.

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn’t disagree more. If that’s a red every little bump or fake ha

Didn’t see Sons red. Almost literally Maguire would be the absolute softest straight red I can even think of... I’ll check out what happened with Son.

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you should watch son's red.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should make refs go to monitor for straight reds.

Straight reds are frankly tricky shit to call... they are both soft reds for me, it’s a tough call though. Check the monitor and the ref should be making the call that way.

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think Magiires explanation has a lot more weight than Son... the reality is a guy might be falling on him, and Son wasn’t in he same position and looked like much more of a lash out to me.

But again, it’s a tough call either way. I think Sons is technically worse than Maguires but it’s hard to grade these things that are so similar.

Chelsea may feel hard done by 2-0 but their final ball was poor all day.

15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    More official incompetence in the Chelsea v Tottenham match as Le Celso escaped what looked a blatant red card for a stamp on an opponent. The explanation at the time was he had nowhere to put his fee! Later, Stockley Park admitted that it ought to have been a red card. It’s exactly what some have been saying— the officials are just poor. Luckily for Chelsea it ran out 2-1 winners.

usscouse repped this.
  16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like Harry Maguire saying he just had to extend his leg into Batusyhai nuts to prevent him from falling on him. Bit of a pathetic excuse.

17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    After being subjected to derision and on social media, the referees body, PMGO, backtracked and admitted the incident ticked all the boxes for a red card and blamed it all on genuine human error. I mean, really? I blame incompetence which we’ve been subjected to all these years and is now being shown up.

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So far this experiment has shown how hard the offside law is for on field officials.
    Then it’s shown up how subjective the rest of the calls are.
    Fix the offside law and there’s no need for this gamers farce of var that’s become a blight on our game.

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #294 usscouse, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Watford pull back an exciting emotional goalmouth scramble. Then after the celebration it’s disallowed for an inadvertent handball. Bummer for them.
    Then Manure come back with a goal given when this was the pass to it that nobody mentions.

A0D5EE0C-D13E-481A-B9E4-F1E42653DD2A.jpeg
    not a great shot but it’s there.

they scrutinized one goal but not the other and wonder why people are critical.

20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I believe all goals are looked at?

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #296 EruditeHobo, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    They were both looked at. United goal looked pretty onside to me? Looks close.

The disallowed goal was unfortunate... but again, unfortunately it seems to align with the rule. Can’t touch the arm. If they amended this law to be that it “can’t touch the arm when outstretched/away from the body” I’d be fine with it, because I don’t know what the Watford player was really supposed to do in that scenario — if he was somehow an amputee and didn’t have an arm, the goal probably still would have occurred, which is not true of the rest of these goals that the new handball law rules out.

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They (refs) still miss obvious offside calls. VAR does not.

What the experiment shows most of all is that there are a lot of people don’t really understand the nature of the rules, and the difference between binary calls and calls which inherently require interpretation, which will inherently be subjective.

Also, prem refs aren’t all that great and the entire system (laws and VAR) needs improvement.

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You believe but they didn’t say or show that they did.

24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    “prem refs aren’t all that good!” Yet these are the people who man the video. Who just cause more confusion and frustration.
    Other than that you seem to agree that the laws could be modified for ease of interpretation.
    Then dump var.

25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since VAR is doing almost exactly what it intended to do from the start, not gonna hold my breath for that... a few no-nonsense alterations, sure, ditching it? Not likely.