I love Mia Hamm BUT.....

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dellacamera needs to shut up with his "we expect to see Mia play,we expect to
    see Mia play,we expect to see Mia play" crap.

It's like it is not a real soccer game without her!! World class team, no class
    coverage, as always.

2. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    What is the big deal? Hate that announcer? Watch the game on Galavision in Spanish.

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Well, seeing as yesterday's US match was on Telefutura ...

I have gotten to like Pablo Ramirez! I give him a big GOLAAAAAAAAZOOOOOOO! for his work this month.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: I love Mia Hamm BUT.....

You make that statement as thought everyone gets Galavision and Telefutura. They are not offered in my area.

After watching Tom Stone and Erika whatever her last name is do the broadcast of two games, I'm giving JP and Wendy lots of slack.

5. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not just JP. I was at the game yesterday and the "We want Mia" chants I thought were extremely disrespectful.

Hamm is the greatest women's playyer on the planet. I am sorry I did not get to see her play yesterday.

But our girls were busting their backsides against a very strong Korean team, and doing an excellent job. It was very disrespectful to them.

And I am sure Hamm would agree.

6. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Re: Re: Re: I love Mia Hamm BUT.....

Exactly. People make this annoying argument all the time--"just switch over to Telefutura." Dude, believe me Detroit cable ain't getting Galavision or Telemundo even, much less Telefutura, any time soon. We are lucky to have Univision.

7. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Yo, yo, yo. Waitaminute.

Many of those fans and supporters paid $100 per ticket to see that match. They were well within bounds of appropriate behavior to call for the player they all came to see. Many of those chanting were young girls and soccer moms who may not have entirely grasped April's decision and strategy behind it and the fact that Norway is on the horizon (and in the crosshairs).

Now if they had chanted something about April in bad taste, that would have been disrespectful. Or if they would have screamed "Pull Millie" and alternated "We want Mia!", then we would have a disrepectful request.

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said, I don't get either, plus I don't think it is too much to expect to get competent announcing in English.....

9. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Can't agree with this. It's great that Mia is so big, but the rest of the players are working thier asses off in a tough game and all the fans care about is Mia playing. I thought it was pretty uncool. By the way to the intitial post complaining about JPD talking about Mia playing: She was one of like three or four players who put on a bib and starting warming up, so I'd say he had good reason to say this.

10. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth

the announcers make fun of Korean and chinese names at times...and they pronounced wrong each an every name, they say the last name first, like wen sun, or Jie Bai etc ...

11. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth

but i think we can't blame Mia on this one, she often reffered to her team mates accomplishments during the interviews, she is a star with great personalities, thats what her team mates love her

12. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    That's because Jie is Bai Jie's first name. Isn't it?
    Its Chinese tradition to give your family name first and your given name second....

I blame Pin Yin for the problems with pronounciation. Its a great system once you learn it but its not empirical for English speakers. The letter combinations just don't make sense to be pronounced the way they look until you get an intro to Pin Yin.....

An aside, as everytimeI heard Mi I I cringed. Don't know if the Koreans adopted Pin Yin but, Mi Ae (Korean name) is pronounced Me Eh.

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If the late '90s were resting Micheal Jordan during a signifigant but all together throw away game, you'd hear the same type of reaction from reaction and broadcasters. It might not be the best analogy to compare her to Jordan, but she's absolutely an iconic figure.

14. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am one of those people who paid alot of money for a ticket to the match. Plus plane fare, car rental, hotel, and parking in Chicago. I wanted to see Hamm play and was disappointed she was not in.

But I say what I said before. Those players were busting their backsides out there. And playing well too. Maybe we were missing some midfield possession and Hamm has been playing incredibly well of late.

But they were giving it their all and winning too. It was extremely disrespectful.

As sadie pointed out, Hamm is the first to talk about how great her teammates played. My guess is that she was embarassed by the chants.

15. Shures

Shures New Member

Mar 29, 1999
    NYC area
    Unfortunately, to an admitted outsider, this thread seems to me to be a pretty good example of why the Women's game in its current configuration isn't a sustainable business.

Does anyone really think this sort of argument would come up if the Men had just won a WC game 3-0 to advance to the next round? How about if a Jordanless Bulls had advanced to the NBA finals. No way.

Maybe there are enough people out there who just want to "see Mia Hamm" or whomever the next star is, to make a difference. However, my sense is that for the longterm health of the sport you need a fan base that cares about it in the same manner the fans of other sports do--meaning 100% focused on who wins and who loses.

Not saying this to be incendiary... just an observation.

16. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Oops, it looks like somebody spilled the troll bait.

Back to our conversation. I am sure that the members of the USWNT know that Mia's top billing is part of the gig. I am sure that is the first question on the survey Ape gives them when the step foot in camp. Mia appears to handle it graciously and her teammates seem to handle it well. It appears that there a few upset supporters.

Now, if the chants happened in 2007 without Mia on the roster, I would be offended. Let's check back in four years.

17. JCDGK

JCDGK New Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Being in the stands I must say I was somewhat uncomfortable with the chants for Mia, particularly after all the subs had been used and there was no chance of her getting in. That said, we should remember what demographic started and participated in most of the chanting. Most were almost certainly under the age of 18 and probably the biggest percentage under 14. I think we can forgive a large contingent of young soccer players wanting to see their hero. My daughter did not join in the chant, but she certainly was disappointed not to see Mia play...although she was still very happy to get the 3 points and into the next round;-).

18. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wasn't David Beckham playing?

Oh... sorry, wrong, 'We only came to see one player, not the team" thread.

19. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Chinese names

I am afraid you are wrong here. Sun Wen's last name (surname) is "Sun", and Bai Ji's last name is "Bai." The Chinese put their last name first.

20. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt these chants effected Mia of the other players at all. They aren't very professional if they let it effect them.

21. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I liked it when Jorge Ramos used a player's name in the commentary: "La derecha Pu, la izquierda Pu, se complica Pu, se pega Puuuuuuuuuuuuuu!"

It's part of the chatter and patter of Latina American soccer announcers. It's better than, what an American would say in the same situation: "Here's Pu Wei ... strikes it! Over the bar." Yawn.

22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I agree, simply chanting for a player to come in is not bad. A few Sams Army people gathered along the rail above like 134 in the second half to try and make some noise after discussing over halftime our disappointment that there was no SA group. When the WWM chant started we joined in... in fact a responsible for one of them. We figured hey at least they are chanting something. :)

23. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I have to give the midwest fans a lot of credit. Many of them drive many hours (Michigan 6-8, Wisconsin 7.5, Columbus 1-oops that's getting out of the parking lot ;) ). They don't get to see Mia play in the WUSA unless they drive to the coast. So I understand the desire to see Mia play, especially when she uses that dirty word - Retire.

Mia and the team are used to dealing with the screams of Mia. Personnally, I think that Julie likes to tease Mia about it.

The vast majority of the chanting was from kids - go for it. I don't think that it shows any disrepect.

24. YOMITTS

YOMITTS New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    And Nomar came all that way too. The bottom line is to win the whole thing and if rest help so be it.one more thing how was SLATON watching Heather at half is killing me

25. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found watching Mitts at halftime quite nice actually. ;)