I like my ipod so much I'm think about buying an Apple computer

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dreamer, Nov 24, 2004.

1. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    hehe, since you're in Korea maybe you can get some pirated Macintosh software. I heard a lot of poor art/design school students do that instead of spending mucho dinero on the latest student version of Photoshop or Illustrator.

2. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Yea, you can either download the pirated version online through various Korean P2P sites or use mIRC, or you can just buy pirated cd's for 15000 won ( 14 US Dollars ) games, utilities, OS's, - you name it at the Yongsan Electronics Market. But the Korean police are cracking down hard on the illegal black markets, especially at Yongsan Electronics Market. The City of Seoul are actually encouraging people to go do their shopping at the International Electronics Market, a new zone they set up, south side Seoul.

3. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is an interesting post. You are obvious a wise, knowlegable, diligent PC user. And your intelligence and diligence has rewarded you with a relatively trouble free system.

The sad thing is, however, you do things the "average Joe" hardly ever does, or doesn't know how to to, or forgets about.

People often say that Linux is "too hard" for the "average Joe" to install and set up - that one has to do some tweaking to get everything working just right. However, with modern distros, this is not necessarily so, and any of it that is required is nothing more than what you have described. And once everything "just works", Linux is ultra secure, only requires a minimal firewall, is virtually virus free, and the only virus protection desired is so that you are not an immune carrier/spreader of Windows viruses.

And with Macs, everything "just works" right out of the box, and you don't have to be as diligent as you just described, due to Mac OSX being built on rock solid and ultra secure BSD.

4. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Jeffs you're a very tech savvy guy. Do you have experience with Firefox and could you comment on it?

I've switched a number of computers over on a try-and-see basis. So far everything is working great. No more DSO's and a lot less spywares. I'm thinking about a complete switch over. The upside is obvious. But are there any downsides you know of that I should at least consider?

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, when I do purchase a new system (6 months to a year), I intend on installing Linux instead of XP. It's something I've been wanting to do, but would rather do on a new system instead of an old one.

No doubt. I have no argument against Macs in general, I simply don't like hearing people say that PCs are too complicated when they're really not that bad (don't get me wrong, they aren't perfect either).

Upon my next computer purchase, I am actually weighing getting a Mac instead of a PC and Linux. A lot can happen between now and when I am planning on a new computer so we'll see what I end up with. Either way, I'll probably avoid Windows.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It should be noted that Mac OS X isn't 100% "maintenance free". You should still run Repair Permissions every time you install a new app, and while the system automatically does cleaning and diagnostics while you sleep, it won't do it if you shut the computer down at night - in which case, you should use MacJanitor.

Of course, the above is just about all you need to do (well, other than setting the built-in firewall to "on") to make sure your Mac is free of the cooties.

Sidenote: my office does a lot of hosting for clients, and we always, always use Apple's Xserve unless the client is adamant about using a Windows server or there's some software issue (say, running streaming Windows Media) simply because security is the utmost priority.

7. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I was surprised that apple wanted to enter the ultracompetitive markets of servers and disk arrays with their 1U Xserver and RAID array. I know that their RAID array can also function with windows clients, but I wonder if non mac users will go for it.

8. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Maybe it's time for the average Joe to learn more about computers, because computers today aren't what they were 5 years ago. And we're not talking about rocket science here. It would be telling that there are other things than viruses that can harm a computer and using software like Adaware should remove those files. Going to safe sites that would be accepted at aneutral work place would be much better than visiting sites that are built only to make a profit, legally or illegally through ads, pop ups, personal info, etc. I'm talking about Warez sites and stuff like that.

It's really not that hard folks. It's pretty much like instructing someone where they can pour oil in their car since it's low. It's really that easy. All you gotta do is go to download.com, search for Adaware, download, install and run whenever you want (the more the marrier). Is it that hard? If this gives me the chance to use software that I can't on an Apple, it isn't hard at all.

9. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    a mac with raid? hahahahhahaha they're are gonna really mirror it!!
    siht ekil tsuj!!
    i wonder what they can do with raid 5 or higher. woohooo!! thanks for the redundancy!!!

no one will spend over $500 for something that does not guarantee anything

10. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    don't you men !!siht ekil tsuJ

?? :)

11. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How easy is it to add a Mac to a home PC network, esp. in terms of sharing documents and photos? Thanks in advance, you know-it-alls! ;)

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SUPER easy. It's prett much plug and play. Here's more... http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/windows/

13. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    youll regret it. the computer lacks the knowledge of outsourcing and the inputs where the usb connects is to short for some other mp3 players. if your buying cause you have an ipod then good. still dell is the best computer in the market.

14. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Man i wish you would have quoted whatever your talking about or to, I'm not following your jibberish. Premium some help, your specialty is making no sense.

15. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    dell is not as good as they used to be. watch out for gateway. the company is still in crisis but things are changing and they will come on top with quality pcs at cheaper price.

16. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I think he's responding to the original topic of the thread. He's responding to dreamer wanting to buy a Mac because he likes his ipod so much.

17. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Better quality pcs at cheaper price than Dell? How are they doing that?

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It still makes no sense.

19. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I don't know how Gateway is doing it but I don't think that Dell manufactures anything themselves. I thought they just OEM all their components from 3rd parties and assemble their PCs per customer order.

20. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    what about their printers and tvs? i just hope they won't start making airplanes

21. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    And Gateway is making their own machines? Are we talking about a QC issue here or something else is at play?

22. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    dell is still better than gateway in terms of quality or at least as the reviewers say although i don't really see a big difference compared to the price tag of these two. dell established high reputation already and have strong brand name while gateway once fell apart and are currently restructuring the company so i guess it's inevitable for them to set the price cheapter than dell for the same quality pc.

for dell desktop, go to ebay and get cheap gx150 or gx260 systems unless you are looking for a brand new high-end system. i got my gx260 running p4 2.4 ghz and ddr 2700 512mb only $312 including a 17-inch dell crt monitor, 2 cat5e cables, keyboard, and mouse. not a bad deal. if gx 150, you may get it under $100 though i paid a little higher. it has good enough spec (p3 800-1000mhz, 128-256mb 100-133 sdram) to run windows server (for small network use) so should be a good machine to test out many things.

23. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Gateway is re-entering the Japanese market so I won't be surprised if Gateway is getting some pretty intense publicity right now in Japan. Just wonder if your positive note on Gateway had anything to do with that? What precisely has triggered your assertion that Gateway is worthy of some renewed attention if you don't mind me asking?

One of my first PC's was Gateway so I remember it well. Used to be the techy's favorite too. But when thye fell they fell hard, esp after the internet bubble got busted. Dell on the other hand has been taking advantage of Gateway's misery and now pretty much owns the whole corporate PC market. But Gateway is still a respectable name that many tech people have a good memory of. So if they have the right lineup and get their finances in order, I wouldn't be surprised if what you're predicting comes ture, if that's what you're predicting? But am curious about what exactly has contributed to your assertion that we should look out for Gateway.

BTW for the new DELL I paid $680. Flat screen monitor but other specs are pretty similar to yours. Should've asked here first I guess.

24. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    They probably have some sort of reseller agreement. They are also reselling EMC's Clariion storage line and are doing pretty well with it.

25. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dell is a far cry from what they used to be. Now they're just churning 'em out at such a high rate that quality is suffering. I know two people who've had Gateway (my parents and a neighbor), they've have nothing but problems. Gateway has a long way to go before I'd even consider looking at buying one.