I like my ipod so much I'm think about buying an Apple computer

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dreamer, Nov 24, 2004.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Now, the benefit to buying Apple branded peripherals is that as long as your computer is covered under warranty, the periphs are as well (Airport base, card, mouse, keyboard etc). Plus, I don't think there's a 3rd party version of Airport Express.

And Apple Care is an excellent, excellent service. Well worth the extra dough.

2. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    My ipod is giving me some problems all the sudden. A lot of statics in the background when I play music. Also, when I turn it on it used to take about a second, now it takes about 5 seconds to power up. Strange.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere PH is smiling, maybe even laughing. ;)

4. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Who's PH?

You don't mean.......... that PH? So sad. ;)

5. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i actually own one too so it's not funny.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas. :)

7. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't buy Mac if:

-can't afford the premium price

-you are able/willing/like to do your own hardware maintenance and upgrades

-like computer games

-want the fastest possible PC or laptop

If you fall into these categories and you're still anti-Windows, get Linux.

I like Windows XP, and now that they've nixed WinFS, I'm not sure just what the hell Longhorn is suppossed to bring to the table that XP doesn't.

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I agree with you to a point, but a few things:
    - Macs are more expensive off the shelf, but over the long run, the cost of ownership is about the same, if not lower. If you take a Mac's longevity and lower maintenance cost,

- Eh. It's insanely easy to do hardware updates and expansions on a Mac. I do all my own upgrades.

- You mean like the G5? Sure, Windows PCs generally win out on pure chip speed, but in real world tasks, Power Macs tend to outperform PCs, especially since they're better designed to handle heavy duty apps like Illustrator and Final Cut Pro, and vice versa.

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Take it to the Apple Store. But make a Genius Bar appointment before you go.

Or you can go to Tekserve or Digital Society - they're grumpier than Apple Store employees, but no less helpful.

10. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    my pc can last longer than your mac

everyone can easily upgrade their own pcs as long as they know how to open the case.

99.5% of users are happy as long they can use the following
    - hotmail
    - ie
    - msn messenger
    - games

only a selected few care about illustrator, photoshop or whatever and 90% of these people are happy with windows in most of the case unless they're anti-windows and that leaves less than .005%, like you, going crazy for mac.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suuuure. My buddy has an Apple IIe that still runs perfectly. That's a computer that lasts.

Same with the mac, it's super easy to upgrade on your own. I had to replaced the hd on my powerbook, it took me longer to get the screws off the bottom cover than it took to replace the drive. It took me only 10 minutes to do everything.

All of which you can do on the mac and it's safer. Why anyone uses IE is beyond me.

People are content with PC's because they don't know better. Someone here at work was amazed with my powerbook. They had no clue that there was an alternative to XP.

12. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah I'm mad as hell and I can't take IE any more. Have switched some computers to Firefox and they're running much better. Will do a complete switch very soon.

13. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

I'm sending it back to Amazon.com. They have agreed to replace it by overnight shipping. So I guess it's working out OK.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is far from true. I've worked on Macs and PCs. The more technologically advanced I became, the more I found PCs a better fit. Sure the stability sucks, and you have to customize your protection, but in the end I found PCs far easier to use. However, I must add that I haven't used a Mac for more than an hour in over 3 years. I'm curious enough about advancements to try to 'test drive a new OSX system (I've used one briefly before), but not so much as to buy a new system...yet. Given an opportunity I wouldn't mind sitting down and working with a Mac for a week to see how things are.

15. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you do more than 3 hardware upgrades, you have to get a new authorization code for XP. If you change your hard drive at all, you need a new authorization code for XP. Win 9x, WinNT, and Win2k did not do this. I know MS is trying to squeez that little extra bit of profit out of everyone, and avoid pirating, but it's very annoying for honest users who only want to upgrade their hardware.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so, the average person out there has no clue how to properly use and maintain a computer. People are bombarded with Windows this and windows that so that's the norm. You mention Mac to people and many people only know that it's not M$, you mention Linux and you get a blank stare. I'm not talking about tech savvy people, I'm talking about your average user.

17. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The average person is an idiot in regards to most things (politics, computers, etc.). Macs, while damn fine computers tend to sit the best with people who are just learning computers, are fed up with PCs, just want a simpler system. Obviously this isn't always the case, but it is in many ways. My parents for example. They've had Macs for years (as I have I), I got a PC in college and haven't looked back since. They recently started using my old Dell and while haven't had a hard time, took some time to learn it (my mom still screams at the machine daily).

PCs, while more complicated, are easier for some people to work. Those people (whether by coincidence or not) seem to be those who have a better idea of how their systems work.

Personally I think every kid should have to take a class in high school where they learn about both Macs and PCs on a more-than-superficial level. People should always be able to work both machines and have a general knowledge of what is different. If people can make a more informed decision they'll be better off in the long run, and quit their bitching.

18. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Personal computers are commodity items. Users should NOT have to have much idea how their systems work.

19. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    As I've always said PC= pure crap
    Defend all you want, until the dominant OS is something beside MicroVirus..oops i mean MocroSecurityBreach oops, damn sorry MicroSuck. You and 95% of the population will continue to suffer and hate your machine. All that extra stuff like virus protection, adware, spyware, and defragging the HD are for the bird.

I'll take my mac anyday for ease of use and being worry free. :)

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To each his own. People seem to want everything to be dirt simple and no-hassle, and that is where problems enter (and I'm not talking about just computers). No one wants to work a little to get above average results, they just want the easy road.

I've had two PCs the last 5 years and have yet to have a major problem. I have an excellent free firewall. I run adaware and spyware once every two weeks (takes all of 10 minutes), I defrag maybe once every 8-12 months, my Norton anti-virus costs me $19 a year to subscibe to and updates and runs itself at times designated by me. Absolutely none of that is an issue to me because it keeps my system of choice clean, safe, and protected with minimal effort.

21. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    hopefully by the time the sun starts rising from west, you realize that being worry free and running away from reality is not the same thing.

22. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    What are you talking about? I use a PC and am still grateful for it but its just a damn computer man. They should be easy not something where ppl have to be meticulous, ambitious, commit, and perservere in order to achieve something great like a successful life. Bottom line, the average joe, who could be clueless on the mechanics of a computer, shouldn't have to work extra hard to get a little above average results.

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, the thing is, people would rather plug in their system and *bam* never have a problem again. People don't read manuals or try to learn the functions of their electonics...why do you think the average joe can't program a VCR clock. I'm not saying you should be an engineer, but take the time to learn a little bit about your system. PC users, understanding you computer just a little bit more will make it infinitely easier to operate and tweak.

PC user for almost 6 years. Have yet to have a major problem. I could be lucky, or it could be that I know enough to use a firewall, anti-virus software, adaware and spyware scanning programs, among other things. My PC is immaculate and runs exceptionally well for a machine that is 3 years old and has been taken through 4 houses/apartments, hooked up to half a dozen different networks, and has had a lot of wear and tear on it...oh yea, and it hasn't had any hardware upgrades. Why, because I understand enough to know how to take care of it.

If you're the kind of person who would rather things were simple and you didn't have to understand them, then a Mac is the computer for you. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you want things simplified to the point of being dumbed down, don't buy a PC and then bitch.

24. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Or both.

I just finished reformatting one of my PC. Got a nasty virus that nothing could get rid of.

25. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Now you're portraying MAC users as if they don't want to take the time to "read the manual". I'm not saying that you're wrong or I'm right because it's a waste of your time, and infinetly, my time also. While this Windows vs MAC debate can last forever, I doubt that I have "bitched" about anything.